unsightly plugs everywhere...

dangsy

I recently started adding corals to my tank, never done corals before, just fish/inverts...After placing them all in I have unsightly plugs everywhere...is my only option to grown them out over the plug? square blocks are killing me!

I recently started adding corals to my tank, never done corals before, just fish/inverts...After placing them all in I have unsightly plugs everywhere...is my only option to grown them out over the plug? square blocks are killing me!

There are other options ... I personally use rock rubble (will eventually grow coralline over them and blend right into your LR) ... in particular for SPS ... just superglue them on.

Yes your corals will grow over your frag plus, eventually ... but I agree it's not the nicest thing to look at.

-David

Depending on the coral, you can usually wedge a razor blade right under an edge of the coral and pop it off of the plug. They're just super-glued to the plug, usually. Even if it's encrusted a bit, it's usually fairly easy to do.

masterbuilder

Razor blade/knife and dremel method are both good. Thats what I try do with all the ones I get. Also, read the StevieT thread on the way to glue with epoxy putty and superglue, if you dont already know. A trick I use, once you have the frag glued it place with the putty (before it dries) is to is to take a toothpick and poke holes and rough up any exposed putty so it looks like rock. Works wonders and in a week or so you cant tell the putty from the rock.

Archived