inTank Media Baskets

Finnex Titanium digital heater

Needreefunds

Just a question, observance and perhaps mini-vent.

I recently ordered a Finnex HMD-50 Titanium digital control heater from a vendor.

Digital control

heating indicator

safety shut off

overheat protection

energy saving

fast heating

yadda-yadda

IIRC they showed the picture of the box or the same picture of the unit that appears on the box.

It was not mentioned that it has a separate temp sensor that must be installed in tank .

This also is not shown in the picture on the box.

Reading digital I also assumed it was fully electronic, but the constant clicking of what I think is the bi-metallic thermostat is driving me nuts. Never thought a heater would be the loudest piece of equipment in my system. :rolleyes:

Does anyone else have this unit and is it normal for the stat to cycle so frequently?

TIA

Hmm, I actually considered one too! Maybe I'll rethink that...

Seperate temp seonsor in the tank, please describe this. Is it like a seperate temp sensor thing that is wired to the external controller the heater is connected to?

Hmm, I actually considered one too! Maybe I'll rethink that...

Seperate temp seonsor in the tank, please describe this. Is it like a seperate temp sensor thing that is wired to the external controller the heater is connected to?

Yessir. They take a straight-on pic and put it on the box, hidden behind the heater cable is the temp probe cable lol. :rolleyes:

I would not have purchased this had I known....BUT, it does also provide you with the tanks temp as well, so perhaps its a wash...... :happy:

Noisy little clicking bugger tho..... <_<

Oh neat, so it displays both the heater set temp AND the actual tank temp? I wonder how accurate it is though. ;)

Yes, but not at the same time. There is an on/off/set button you press, then the display either blinks (temp setting mode) or is constantly on ( temp reading mode ).

Not sure just how accurate it is yet , but there is a 3 deg diff between the Finnex display and a coralife digi thermometer that's in there now ( also prolly not the most accurate animal LOL ).

Gotcha, figured as much as it's a 2-digit display if I remember right. ;) I'll bet each one is off in the opposite direction from the other, lol! And I'm sure if that's the case, eitherway the CoralLife is probably off by 2 and the Finnex by 1 maybe...

Gotcha, figured as much as it's a 2-digit display if I remember right. ;) I'll bet each one is off in the opposite direction from the other, lol! And I'm sure if that's the case, eitherway the CoralLife is probably off by 2 and the Finnex by 1 maybe...

:lol:

Well, on the plus side, they have both remained rather steady now for a good couple days.

Stability is what I wanted in the first place. -_-

And if your tolerance factors are correct that should put me just about where I need to be...maybe?.. :huh:

:P

• 2 weeks later...
Ehh I've heard of more Jager failures than Stealth or Theo heaters...

I agree though Needreef, consistancy rules over accuracy. ;)

I bought it too and the constant on and off drove me nuts , too loud & and wasn't a clean looking install hanging off the back with green and red lights flashing- removed it it now is my perfect salt mixing heater with the built in probe. way too much noise for my liking

btw; if the temp is off when compared to your other thermometer you can adjust it by carefully pealing the silver sticker on back removing just a bit of the top left and insert a small screwdriver in the hole and adj. the circuit board adj screw you see and calibrate it to your thermometer.

Finnex told me about that fix.

I bought it too and the constant on and off drove me nuts , too loud & and wasn't a clean looking install hanging off the back with green and red lights flashing- removed it it now is my perfect salt mixing heater with the built in probe. way too much noise for my liking

btw; if the temp is off when compared to your other thermometer you can adjust it by carefully pealing the silver sticker on back removing just a bit of the top left and insert a small screwdriver in the hole and adj. the circuit board adj screw you see and calibrate it to your thermometer.

Finnex told me about that fix.

....but what if I don't trust my thermometer either?? :P

J/K thanks for the tip. Nice to be able to really calibrate the unit if need be.

While this thing seems to provide excellent ( read steady ) regulation, the clicks make me wanna throw it out the back door..... I will most likely do the same with this one, demote it to the WC bucket.

I just find it kind of funny that in every add I see for this heater they never picture or mention the probe.

Click, click, click.....or...mebe its a pistol??? :huh:

:lol:

• 10 years later...