Cultivated Reef

14 gallon bio cube question

octoberfest

I have a 14 gallon bio-cube that I'm planning on setting up as a local only tank (livestock from the coast of North Carolina). I have two problems with the tank right now.

1. I need to replace the 10K bulb and would like to know what the specs are and if anyone has any recommendations for a place to order them from.

2. One of the fans sounds like its hitting on something when it turns on. Its VERY loud, not near as loud as my coralife 48" PC fixtre or sunpod 150 MH fixture, not even close. If you "smack" the top of the canopy it will go away, but depending on how you turn the switch back on (too much pressure) the noise comes back. Is this common and what are the fixes?

Josh

I have a 14 gallon bio-cube that I'm planning on setting up as a local only tank (livestock from the coast of North Carolina). I have two problems with the tank right now.

1. I need to replace the 10K bulb and would like to know what the specs are and if anyone has any recommendations for a place to order them from.

2. One of the fans sounds like its hitting on something when it turns on. Its VERY loud, not near as loud as my coralife 48" PC fixtre or sunpod 150 MH fixture, not even close. If you "smack" the top of the canopy it will go away, but depending on how you turn the switch back on (too much pressure) the noise comes back. Is this common and what are the fixes?

Josh

For the bulbs go to this link.

They are straight pin 24 watt PC bulbs. I think Coralife makes them in that particular wattage as well so you may be able to find them at your LFS.

As far as the fan, mine did the same and I continue smacking it after it warms up a bit. I know I probably have to replace it, but I just cannot motivate myself to do it yet. :) Apparently, lots of people have faulty fans. You can probably contact Oceanic and find out if they will send you a replacement fan if you are under warranty. NanoTuners sells the stock fans and probably the bulbs. They also sell kits that upgrade the fan system as well. If you are savvy you can probably buy premium computer fans from a computer store like newegg.com. They supposedly are much better and worth the investment.

NanoTuners probably sells the bulbs as well.

Good luck!

There are other 24 watt bulbs on ebay but they're listing them at 12.5"....1/2 inch shorter than stock. Do you think that would be a problem putting a shorter bulb in there, as long as the rating is the same?

blizzardscout2

The sound on mine comes from the vibration of the plastic lens cover over the bulbs. Sometimes it does this, but then I just open up the hood and tweak the lens a little and it stops.

Archived