Cultivated Reef

Can you help with my reef set up?

poidog

Hi everyone!

I am new to reefing and I was able to get a nano cube 24 gallon set up for x-mas. Since I'm new to salt water can you give your insights on how my current set up is?

With the Nano cube 24 i used:

1 - 20lb bag of live sand

32lb of Fiji live rock

19 gallons if water (pre mixed from the shop)

That equates to 1.68 lbs/gallon of live rock. From what I read I should be around 1.25-1.75 lbs. Is this too much in my tank? Also, how is the set-up? I would like to keep several coral/a few clowns/1 anemone/and some misc. fish/invertebrates.

Thanks for your help!

post-41150-1230433864_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone!

I am new to reefing and I was able to get a nano cube 24 gallon set up for x-mas. Since I'm new to salt water can you give your insights on how my current set up is?

32lb of Fiji live rock

That equates to 1.68 lbs/gallon of live rock. From what I read I should be around 1.25-1.75 lbs. Is this too much in my tank? Also, how is the set-up? I would like to keep several coral/a few clowns/1 anemone/and some misc. fish/invertebrates.

Thanks for your help!

:welcome:

Welcome to Nano-Reef!!!

Well everything look very nice so far ... lots of surface area for corals and such!!! :D

Definitely not too much rock for your tank ... it looks great ... don't worry about those calculations ...

What kind of lighting do you have there? Stock hood or modded?

As far as corals go softies and some LPS will do just fine ... anemone's require a more mautre system ... plus I really wouldn't recommend you putting one in a tank that small.

You are off to a great start! :D

Welcome again!

-David

Hi! thanks for the reply.

I have the stock hood that came with the 24... I figured that it will do with what I want to do (for now <_< ) from what I've read and what the guys at the shop told me. So far I've only added a heater (set at 77.3) and a thermostat. The 2/3 week cycle time is going to be the killer! After that what do you suggest? - getting some coral or fish first --- or a little of both?

Hi! thanks for the reply.

I have the stock hood that came with the 24... I figured that it will do with what I want to do (for now <_< ) from what I've read and what the guys at the shop told me. So far I've only added a heater (set at 77.3) and a thermostat. The 2/3 week cycle time is going to be the killer! After that what do you suggest? - getting some coral or fish first --- or a little of both?

Another note on the anem....from my understanding nearly all require metal halide lighting to do well. So you'll either have to rip off the hood and do a pendant light or a retro kit in the hood (which may require a chiller, then an auto-top off, etc) But if that is really what you are after, just research, be prepared to spend some $$$ and go SLOW!

As far as fish or corals first.....doesn't really matter, but typically people will start with one hardy fish and or shrimp (this is after your clean up crew is established). Basically, because it is cheaper to lose a fish than a coral and fish are a good test on the bioload and establishment of the tank. After your CUC is established for a week or so and all your water params are in check start with no more than 1 of whatever you choose to start with. If you ultimately want a mated pair of clowns.........don't start with that but don't put just one in there and plan on adding another later. They need to be introduced at the same time. Start with something else, you always want to start with the least aggressive fish first. I would suggest a goby of some sort. They are hardy and there are oodles of variations. Another good choice is a firefish.

Just research any fish or coral before buying. Learn to use the search function on this site well and nearly every question you have has been answered at some point. Go to the information section and read those articles. Spend this time while the tank cycles to absorb as much info as you can.

Ultimately HAVE FUN and welcome to NR

Hi everyone!

32lb of Fiji live rock

Thanks for your help!

:welcome: Seems like you are off to a good start. Definitely read the stickied posts at the top while you are waiting for the cycle. In particular the fish guide.

I wouldn't add a nem within the first 6 months. (Well not at all, but that's personal preference based on tank size) Also check out the members aquarium and all-in-one sections. That will give you a ton of insite into corals, inverts, and what to expect and strive for.

Another note on the anem....from my understanding nearly all require metal halide lighting to do well.

Not - MOST Nems do not have strong lighting needs, just some of the more popular ones. That doesn't necessarily mean metal halide either - but - as in anything you decide to add to your tank, do your research first. If you do your homework and know what the needs and compatibility of new additions are BEFORE you buy then you'll be way ahead of the game. It's hard to resist going into a LFS and leaving empty handed sometimes but it's better then leaving with something that you might kill when you get it home.

Do your own due diligence - don't leave it to a LFS to "sell" you anything.

What does LFS mean? I tried to googling it...

Also, how many fish/animals would live comfortably in my set up?

Thanks all!!! I'm finding myself stopping in the shop almost every day looking at all my choices (it helps that it's only 5 minutes away!)

LFS=local fish store

You can find more terms by clicking "information" at the top left of the page and going to the glossary.

You could have 3-5 small fish. This means, however, that many of the fish at your LFS are too active or get too big for nano tanks. I suggest looking at lgreen's fish guide for more info. Inverts aren't a big enough impact on your bioload to be limited in number.

Welcome to a Nano Reef.. you are definately off to a good start. I was where you are now a couple of months ago. So no worries. Just remember to take it slow.

Some people thought when I got my full thing of GSP and a couple of other things all at the same time that I was gonna have an issue with adding to much at once, until I explained why I did it. I needed more live rock, and the GSP came on a huge piece of live rock, about 5lbs, so that worked out. I took a hammer to it to make the pieces fit in the tank, and was able to save some hitchhickers on the other side, like a clam and paly's.

The tip here is to look for some trade offs. If you need more live rock, but are looking for a certian coral and it is attached to a good piece of rock and you like it, go for it. It is cheaper than paying for it seperately. Also if you are good with a hammer and chisel that can help too if space is an issue with live rock.

If you get an anemone for your size of tank I would go with a Bubble Tipped Anemone. They require less light than all other anemones so you dont need to get metal halides (though if you get the chance do so), but a good set of T5s and PC are required otherwise.

Make sure you have a space in your tank for the BTA, at least a 6 inch diameter area. This will give it space to grow and keep it from being cramped. Also ensure the area will be well lit, but not everly lit.

Here is a good site to learn about keeping BTA. There is a lot o good information and photos there.

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/

It is up to you which you wish to add first, fish or corals. If you add fish, go for a damsel or clownfish and ensure it is tank bred as it will do better than a tank raised or wild caught. Gobies are good too. It is bed not to add any more than 2 fish at the same time in a tank less than 30 gallons to give the bioload time to adjust.

Buying frags are a great way to get corals and in many ways, you can help out your fellow hobbiest by buying some frags from them. They are normally an inexpensive way to purchase your corals, depending on what you are looking for, and they are small enough you can put them where you want and gives you a chance to also influence there pattern of growth.

You can get some very nice corals in the forms of frags. Also, should there be issues with acclimation in your tank or some reason you are not loosing a lot of money on loosing a colony. If you want to buy a good colony of a favourite, by all means do so. Just dont impulse buy.

Test, Test and Test your parameters some more. You can never really test enough. Especially in the beginning.

Don't use addatives like Purpleup or calcium agents until you are testing for them.

Water change at least once a week.

Lots of pods is a good thing, even when you think there may be too many. They are a sign of good health in your set up and will be live food for some of your new coral and fish.

Your CUC should include lots of snails, and not as many hermits. Blue hermits fight a lot, Red hermits are more calm, but also more nocturnal.

Ensure you have a real comfy chair infront of your tank. You will end up spending many hours there with your nose pressed against the glass cheching things out and watching everything come to life.

Most important advice. Have Fun and Enjoy.

With your rock work and water volume, I would say you could get away with 4 small fish, like two clowns and 2 gobies.

Wow thanks all for all of the good information and glossary look-up exercises!

If I remove some of the rock, could I get more fish? or should I keep my rock set-up the way it is? I would love to have about 5-6 fish (or is that wishful in a tank this size? and would that include things like crabs/stars/shrimp/CUC or are they in addition to fish?).

Removing rock will not mean you can have more fish. 5 is basically the limit if you had small gobies (i.e. if you got something like a dwarf angel, that would the same as "2-3 small fish").

Hi all again....

I did a few tweaking on my rock arrangment and removed an over hang rock (2 lbs) to allow more light to reach to other surfaces. What do you think? better than before?

I also have a little brown star that emerged from the rock! You can see him on the glass in the picture.

I picked up a salinity reader and a magnet cleaner from my LFS today. They said to bring them a water sample in 3 days or so to see if I can get my CUC in there.

post-41150-1230506503_thumb.jpg

post-41150-1230506524_thumb.jpg

Hi all again....

I did a few tweaking on my rock arrangment and removed an over hang rock (2 lbs) to allow more light to reach to other surfaces. What do you think? better than before?

I also have a little brown star that emerged from the rock! You can see him on the glass in the picture.

I picked up a salinity reader and a magnet cleaner from my LFS today. They said to bring them a water sample in 3 days or so to see if I can get my CUC in there.

I really like it! Lots of coral placement! I do believe you could get a BTA. I have a 38 and I am getting one with a pair of false percs. You do not have to have metal halides for a BTA. This anemone only gets around 1 foot in diameter.

joel sandoman

check this for info on suitable fish for your tank.

As for the anenome, I kept a GBTA ( green bubble tip anemone) in my 20g under 96w PC for over a year and it nearly doubled in size and kept a great color. Definitely wait until your tank has matured though. Good luck!

Oh yeah the rock looks great, don't take any out.

Check out the DIY forums for different mods to the nano cubes. Some of them are really easy and beneficial. ie; refugium

Archived