Nano SPS tank thread!

Rathje70

Feel free to post pictures of your SPS dominated reef tanks or share information about keeping SPS and your enjoyment in this part of the hobby!

All input and photos are appreciated!!

pygmy angel harem

What I'd like to know about SPS keepers is how they are dosing calc/alk. I'd like to know the various options available to me when I get to the point where I can keep SPS (tank maturity, etc.)

What I'd like to know about SPS keepers is how they are dosing calc/alk. I'd like to know the various options available to me when I get to the point where I can keep SPS (tank maturity, etc.)

ESV B-ionic ... use it on my 90G and also when I had my 45 and 29G Biocube ... stuff is great, i keep my caclium a little on the higher side ... 470-500PPM ... the SPS colors just POP!

I have also thought about adding a calcium reactor ... but that's for later ... :D

For starters ... Montiporas are generally easy ... Pocillipora and Birdnests are great starter SPS ...

The thing with SPS and mainly all corals ... you need to keep your water pristine ... it's all about water quality ... water changes etc. etc.

-David

pygmy angel harem

DCG1286, that's what I mean by getting to the point to where I can keep SPS. Not just tank maturity but pristine water at all times. That includes sticking to a rigorous maintenance and water change schedule. And filtration that includes: live rock, live sand, skimming, and refugium with macro algae.

I dose API liquid calcium and try to keep mine at 440 ppm. The chemical seems to take care of alk as well, though it's not advertised as a two-part.

mine isn't exactly SPS dominated, but I have quite a few as well as a clam. I dose Ca and Alk using Aqua Vitro's stuff. it's been working very well so far.

ESV B-ionic ... use it on my 90G and also when I had my 45 and 29G Biocube ... stuff is great, i keep my caclium a little on the higher side ... 470-500PPM ... the SPS colors just POP!

I have also thought about adding a calcium reactor ... but that's for later ... :D

For starters ... Montiporas are generally easy ... Pocillipora and Birdnests are great starter SPS ...

The thing with SPS and mainly all corals ... you need to keep your water pristine ... it's all about water quality ... water changes etc. etc.

-David

^^^ That, + stability equals happy SPS. B-ionics ftw.

No real reason to dose CA (or much else) in a nano, because you should be doing 50%+ water changes/week. I drain my sucker to the bottom! ^^ I've had really good sps growth under stock nanowave lighting...colonies are doubling in size every 6 months or so. Need to get some pics!

No real reason to dose CA (or much else) in a nano, because you should be doing 50%+ water changes/week. I drain my sucker to the bottom! ^^ I've had really good sps growth under stock nanowave lighting...colonies are doubling in size every 6 months or so. Need to get some pics!

Huh?

No real reason to dose CA (or much else) in a nano, because you should be doing 50%+ water changes/week.

water changes are always good, but this is a bit excessive IMO. I don't see anything wrong with it so long as you're very careful to match the changed water to your tank water, but 50+% just doesn't seem necessary. I changed 4g out of my 33g every week while the tank was young and my nitrates were just barely on the threshold of showing up on the test kit by the end of the week and my phosphates were undetectable. My only chemical issue was low pH and low Ca by about mid-week. I do have a lot of hard bodies in my tank though. It's mostly LPS and SPS with a fast-growing derasa clam, thus the heavy Ca use.

now that my tank is mature, I only change water about every 2 weeks or so. All tests show thumbs up and all animals look great. I got to this point at about the 6-8 month mark. I also only have 4 small fish (clown pair, pygmy angel and a firefish), about 40-45lbs LR, 30lbs LS, and run an over-sized skimmer in my sump. I'm sure if I had more livestock or less filtration methods I would not be able to get that extra week in safely

water changes are always good, but this is a bit excessive IMO. I don't see anything wrong with it so long as you're very careful to match the changed water to your tank water, but 50+% just doesn't seem necessary. I changed 4g out of my 33g every week while the tank was young and my nitrates were just barely on the threshold of showing up on the test kit by the end of the week and my phosphates were undetectable. My only chemical issue was low pH and low Ca by about mid-week. I do have a lot of hard bodies in my tank though. It's mostly LPS and SPS with a fast-growing derasa clam, thus the heavy Ca use.

now that my tank is mature, I only change water about every 2 weeks or so. All tests show thumbs up and all animals look great. I got to this point at about the 6-8 month mark. I also only have 4 small fish (clown pair, pygmy angel and a firefish), about 40-45lbs LR, 30lbs LS, and run an over-sized skimmer in my sump. I'm sure if I had more livestock or less filtration methods I would not be able to get that extra week in safely

actually, larger water changes are key to making significant changes in your water chemistry.

1 50% w/c will for instance take nitrates from to 50.

5 10% w/c will take it to 60.

this may not seem like a lot, but in the long run, small w/c are not a good way to keep up with major ca/alk demands and nutrient export. Your tank is likely doing well because of other techniques employed.

Kalk is by far the most kickin' method of supplementing IMO/IME. balanced and comes with other benefits (precipitating phosphate, raising pH, etc). You do want to take care not to over dose (timed on/off oscillation and a pH shut-off is best).

on my nano 12g I dose kalk with an SP3000 and a JBJ ato and I do 50% w/c weekly or so. on my 40 I don't do very many w/c but use kalk.

you can also do kalk as a slurry if you don't have ATO.

Here was my old 20G ... if you are interested ... this tank was taken down over the summer to but in my 29G Biocube ... I will look for pictures of that as well ...

But now everything is combined into a 90G System.

-David

post-36802-1230479435_thumb.jpg

Nice Picture, yeah that would be perfect in you could find th eone of your 29g biocube, as I will be posting pictures of mine as soon as I get my new SPS corals in!!

Thanks,

Rathje70

Archived