Coral Vue Hydros

fan w/ 32w CSL

jmhwang

I have a CSL 32watt retro that I fitted into my hood for my nano tank. I just bought a 115VAC 2.5" fan and am trying to wire it with my CSL pc light and hood so that when I turn on the light the fan turns on too.

From the ballast there is 1 green and 1 red wire that is for the light fixture. Then there is 1 black wire, and 1 white wire that is wired to a push button on/off switch. I wired the fan along with the switch to the black and white wires that come from the ballast.

This is what happens:

when I plug it in and turn it on, when the switch is in the off position, the fan turns on and the light is half as bright as when it is normally on

when the switch is in the on position the light is fully bright but the fan turns off.

what can i do to fix this? Is this possible to wire the fan with the light fixture to turn on at the same time with one on/off switch? Is there another type of switch that i need to use to make it work?

Thanks.

try looking at the wiring there should be one wire that runs to the ballast then from the ballast to the lamp then another wire that runs to the switch then to the lamp your gonna have to tie directly into the wire after the switch this should interupt power to your fan.remember you lamp works in a loop power goes from one end to the other you can also tie into the wire before the ballast

-------{ballast}-------------/ lamp

--------wire to switch------/lamp

dont worry about the wire that runs from one end of the lamp to the other

i don't get it... ^_^

there are 4 wires coming from the ballast. 1 red, 1 green, 1 black, 1 white. red and green go to the light. black and white for the switch.

i previously had the black and white wire from the ballast wired to the switch and fan wired parallel. the problem i had was mentioned. then i switch to wiring it in series and that worked, BUT my light was only half as bright. so i am assuming that the fan is stealing some power from the light and that i should wire the fan with a seperate power supply unless there is some other way to juice it up so that the light is fully lit.

sorry didn't know you are running a retro fit though you were using the oem stuff anyway you need to tap power after the switch inorder to control the fan and lamp at the same basically ifits a one wire in one wire out type of deal then you need the wire that taps out the switch you can wire one wire constant the the fan like a simple two wire switch,lke above and then you a

switch to break the power from the other get god wish I

could draw the d*amn thing..

if you can could you try drawing the pic in like windows paint or something and email it to me? jming18@yahoo.com

doesn't have to be fancy. thanks for the help. i emailed you a drawing i made.

Archived