inTank Media Baskets

FEEDING ISSUE TO CLEAR UP

marinetanker

ok, i have the following:

FISH: 1 x true percula clown, 2 x blue/gren chromis

CUC: 5 x algae hermits, 2 x halloween hermits, 5 x turbos, 3 x pink feather duster worms & a peppermint shrimp.

CORALS: 4 x Actinia equina, 1 x green mushroom coral 1 x button polyp colony and 1 x kenya tree coral.

i am currenly feeding artmia (quarter cube 2 times daily) and phytoplankton (30ml day 1) (60ml day 2)

(30ml day 3) and so on as stated on the bottle.

i have a d & d nanno cube 24

i have recently been reading some topics on here and some people are saying that every day feeding is too much, and some are even saying that they feed there fish once a week.

some say every day, some say every other day.

some say 1 whole cube a day some say half a cube every 2 days.

i dont know what to beleive so can someone please clarify to me how to feed my fish as i am now totaly confused lol.

when i feed my fish the food is gone within 1 minute, the blue chromis just zip around the whole tank grabbing everything before it even touches the bottom lol.

thank you

masterbuilder

Well....I would stop the phyto. Unless you have clams/sps the phyto has very little use...other than fouling your water. Even with clams/sps, I think its still a bad idea (OK maybe once a week). I feed once a day, using your method....what they will eat in a few minutes and allowing almost none to go uneaten. Every so often I dont feed when I am gone, fish dont mind. Thas my 2 cents.

Mark

p.s. I would try to find something other than artemia too feed...they have very little nutritional value. Standard frozen is much better...even something like Formula One is much better and every place has that.

guidelines are really only applicable if the situations/setups are very similar or literally the same. if not, you can't really apply "same as" comments responsibly imo.

it's like saying your car should get 25-mpg like other cars. in reality, there's so many different variables that would affect that statement, first being 'are we even talking about the same car?' then, 'what kind of driving are you doing? highway or city?' then, 'how do you drive it? how much weight? etc.'

same concept with tanks/setups. your clownfish, chromis, etc. might be bigger or smaller, more active/less active than someone else's. your filtration might be more aggressive or less than someone else's. your waterchanges, maintenance, biofilter, etc. are all different.

people ask for guidelines but the myriad of differences from one setup to even your next door neighbor's could be ginormous, let alone across country or continents.

if your livestock is finishing the food relatively quickly and with little/no waste, then that should be sufficient to sustain them. don't worry if you're in or out of a common theme. it's really what works the best for your particular setup.

remember though, the wastes produced afterwards do need to be addressed either thru cleanup crews (but remember, they're converting the wastes not exporting) or manual cleanup/export.

so really 1/2-cube, 1-cube, 5-cubes, could all be applicable. it just depends on how you handle the net inputs...eventually. hth

This is what I do......just for comparison sakes, not saying is right for you. I have BC14 with cheato fuge, uped circulation etc.......2 false percs, one hifin goby, skunk cleaner and about 30 dwarf snails. 20lbs live rock, 20lbs sand.

I "target" feed the fish with formula one. Drop a pellet at a time and until the percs start refusing. Then go and target the goby.. He usually eats 3 pellets. I alternate this with frozen enriched brine. I feed every other day. So example would be

Monday - Formula 1

Wednesday - frozen

Friday - F1

Sunday - frozen

Then before doing a water change each week. I remove the filter floss and target feed as much as possible about 3ml of zooplankton to my corals. Let circulate for about an hour. Then do my water change and cleaning.

Hope this helped give an idea.

Still confused? Let me add to it :P

I feed twice a week. During the week (I'm not home) I have someone drop an ice cube with about 10 mysis shrimp and a couple brine shrimp. On the weekends I feed a quarter cube of mysis and a small pinch of Rod's Food Coral Blend for the SPS corals. I also target feed chopped krill to a plate coral and trumpet coral. I have a Remora pro w/ Mag 3 skimmer and an AC110 fuge with chaeto.

Follow what tiny said. Find out what works for your tank. Just don't overfeed :P

ok, so u will stick to what i am doing at the moment as i am having no adverse affects on the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.. but just one more thing bothering me as what was said about the phytoplankton poluting the water etc.

i forgot to mention i have 2 x electric flame scallops

my lfs said that the phytoplankton will be eaten by the scallops and the corals. is this true or not. and should i cut this down to 30ml every other day. the bottle even says to double the dose after 1 month lol.

I would follow what tinyreef said. Some fish need to be fed multiple times a day and some fish (usually in massive systems) can be fine without eating for a very, very long time. I feed twice a day, to make sure that my angel in a tank a little small for its dietary needs gets enough food. I feed once in the morning, always F1 pellets, then alternate pellets and a mix of frozen mysis and cyclopeeze every other day. As he also alluded to, whether or not you're overfeeding will show if you have excessive nitrates or phosphates. I say feed as much or as little as you feel comfortable with while watching those to chemical levels. If they start to go up, it could be from overfeeding and you should cut back. Comparitively, for not having Anthias, a Mandarin, or other fish of that type, I feed heavily, but my nitrates and phosphates are steady at zero, no algae problems, etc, so I'm not doing any harm with it.

guidelines are really only applicable if the situations/setups are very similar or literally the same. if not, you can't really apply "same as" comments responsibly imo.

it's like saying your car should get 25-mpg like other cars. in reality, there's so many different variables that would affect that statement, first being 'are we even talking about the same car?' then, 'what kind of driving are you doing? highway or city?' then, 'how do you drive it? how much weight? etc.'

same concept with tanks/setups. your clownfish, chromis, etc. might be bigger or smaller, more active/less active than someone else's. your filtration might be more aggressive or less than someone else's. your waterchanges, maintenance, biofilter, etc. are all different.

people ask for guidelines but the myriad of differences from one setup to even your next door neighbor's could be ginormous, let alone across country or continents.

if your livestock is finishing the food relatively quickly and with little/no waste, then that should be sufficient to sustain them. don't worry if you're in or out of a common theme. it's really what works the best for your particular setup.

remember though, the wastes produced afterwards do need to be addressed either thru cleanup crews (but remember, they're converting the wastes not exporting) or manual cleanup/export.

so really 1/2-cube, 1-cube, 5-cubes, could all be applicable. it just depends on how you handle the net inputs...eventually. hth

or to some it up... if no harm done, do as you will. (as far as feeding goes)

Here is an article on flame scallop care. linky

I like to dose phyto and rotifers. Phyto is good, rotifers and pods can eat it, and they feed lots of mouths. Sometimes just a splash other times the tank is green for a day or two, but I don't really keep a feeding schedule.

Something to note about feeding as well is that your fish and some corals will also graze on the pods in your tank as well. So while hobbyists may only feed a couple days a week, it's not like the fish are starving.

thanks for the link on the scallop.

i am awaiting a delivery of bbs, and copepods too, so i will continue as i am for now but i think i will give them 1 day a week with no feeding as i do with my tropicals, thanks for everybodys help :)

Archived