ReefCleaners.org

New tank not cycling yet

Jasong

Last weekend I set up a new 24g Aquapod. I used 20 pounds of "Agri-live" sand and 35 pounds of cured live rock (I hand picked it from a local enthusiast's tank). I have been running the tank for 4 days and everything is going well. What is strange is that I am not getting any reading for Ammonia for the last 3 days. Today, I tested the tank for Nitrate for the first time, and it came up 0 as well.

2 days ago I got ancy and added a small piece of raw scallop to the tank. That hasn't changed my parameters.

Will my tank eventually cycle, or by using cured rock will a cycle be avoided?

SG 1.0245

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

temp 80

Stock PC lighting (64 watts)

Thank

Jason

Wait...

You set up the tank 4 days ago and it only took you 2 days to get ancy?

Hate to see what you do in 2 weeks when that tank is still cycling.

Patience young Padiwan - and stop trying to rush it... nothing good comes out of rushing anything in this hobby.

Your doing just fine, once the scallops start to decompose you should kick start a cycle. I don't even test till like 2 weeks in, just assume it doing its thing.

You probably didn't have a cycle because the rock was cured and from a local source, and you might try to remove the scallop because you're only making the cycle longer. I did this with my current live rock, where I even put my shrimpgoby/pistol shrimp from the old tank setup on the same day.

My tank is now in its 8th day with rock and sand. All I have done is top it off and scraped glass when needed. Lights are running on a normal schedule, etc.

I just tested the water, and I am still coming up very clean. ammonia, nitrites, nitrates are all 0. pH seems a touch low at 7.8, but it is morning. Salinity is consistently 1.0245.

I have gotten some hair algae but nothing out of control.

What surprises me if the nitrate number. I read tons online and that sounds unusual for a new tank. I guess I am following what lakshwadeep posted.

Should I do my first water change and add some CUC? I had planned on waiting until next weekend, but it seems like I have cycled.

thanks

since u got the rock from someones tank u probably wont haver much if any cycle. if u want throw some fish food in the tank and wait a couple days and test. if no ammonia ur good to add a cuc.

I have the same tank. I added 10lbs live sand and 31lbs of cured liverock. The next day I got a very small ammonia spike. Since then nothing. It's been 3 weeks and I have the CUC , a peppermint shrimp, emerald crab, a small damsel and a pair of false percula clowns.I just tested my water again today and still everything 0am, 0nitrite & 0 nitrate. I did a 4G water change on friday , but my reading were the same before the water change. I also run a chaeto Refug in the first chamber that is back lit by a 27w 65K PC fixture. You may not see any cycle

• 3 weeks later...
davidericlowry

Sometimes if you get really good quality liverock that has already been cured, the cycle wont really happen. Remember though that as you add livestock the tank will go through a small cycle (so keep measuring). Also, make sure that your test kit isn't expired and that you are getting accurate readings. A good option at this point would be to add some crabs and snails. And then test. Hey, best of luck with your new tank. B)

supreme_spork
Should I do my first water change and add some CUC? I had planned on waiting until next weekend, but it seems like I have cycled.

thanks

No, you should wait another week even if you don't think you need to and demonstrate the patience required to be successful in the hobby. ;-)

2xgrandchampion
No, you should wait another week even if you don't think you need to and demonstrate the patience required to be successful in the hobby. ;-)

+1 :)

Archived