Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pico Reef Top Off Question

rainmkr07

I am debating between a 3g Picotope, a 3g Tom's Deco Kit, or a 5.5 AGA pico tank, for my desk at work. I am leaning towards the picotope. If I top off the tank at 5pm on Friday, and don't get back until 8am on Monday, what kind of evaporation am I looking at?

Would having a lid for the picotope vs. no lid make a big difference? Is that too long to wait to top off the water? (and thus too much of a salinity swing?)

Perhaps I am better off going with the deco kit which has a lid, than the picotope, which doesn't? (i know bonsai sells the pico lids, but I wouldn't have $ for that for a while...)

Does anyone have a pico at work they don't top off on weekends?

depends on how warm the office gets after hours. most likely it won't get warm since no one is in the office so the heater is probably not on.

I'm sure you'll set the timer to go off like at 530pm or 6pm, so there isnt much extra heat besides your heater.

so you're looking at like 1cm of evaporation at most.

Also depends on what type of flow you have in the tank. A lot of surface agitation will also increase evaporation rate. So a lid will help decrease this rate, but can also negatively affect the positive gas exchange that occurs at the surface of the tank.

Also be aware that a protein skimmer can lead to a lot of evaporation.

I suggest that you see what evaporation rate is observed during the week on a day to day basis and assume that this would be worse case scenario.

oops on my previous post, thought it was an overnight question, so you'll be getting more than just 1cm of evap.

i've gone 2-3 days without topping off. everything is still good. If you're worried then setup an ATO.

besides the surface agitation, seasonal temps, and humidity; air flow (air conditioning) will all affect the rate of evaporation. so 4-oz. in december over the weekend might not be the same amount evaporated over a june weekend.

long weekends are really the main problem though. an ato is really the best solution.

besides the surface agitation, seasonal temps, and humidity; air flow (air conditioning) will all affect the rate of evaporation. so 4-oz. in december over the weekend might not be the same amount evaporated over a june weekend.

long weekends are really the main problem though. an ato is really the best solution.

setting up an ATO isn't an option for me really. so I need the setup which can go weekends w/o a top-off.

lid or no lid? rio 50 or no rio?

it sounds like, a deco kit w/ lid, and no rio 50, might last the longest without a topoff?

a lid would help as it limits the evap but test the setup with everything plugged in. the water motion, device heat, and location (e.g. under a vent) all plays into the possible evap.

the devices, aquascape, and location all need to be decided independent of the evap though (optimal situation for the livestock). so once you have the setup the way needed, you'll need to address the resulting issues like evap. (at least that's how i approach it usually)

So no real solid answer yet. Let's assume the office is kept at 70 degrees, and the picotope or deco kit are run stock (pico = no lid, deco = lid).

I got a 3g deco kit from foster and smith for Christmas, but am contemplating returning in exchange for a picotope. I don't want/like the easily scratched plastic of the deco kit, however ATO at work isn't an option. The 5.5g sandeep build is too big for my office, and the AC70 add on and the satellite light for the picotope are too big too.

So it's down to stock deco vs stock pico. And my #1 main concern is weekends. Since this isn't at my house where I can top it off daily, I will top it off 5pm Friday, and not be back until 8am Monday, which is 63 hours if my math is correct.

Has anyone left either a deco or pico stock - not topped off for 63 hours? If the lid allows the deco to make it the best, then that's what I am forced to use. However, if the pico can last that long, and only drop an inch or two, and still be running/working fine, then I would go with that.

Help is SO greatly appreciated!

Uh, I think the Picotope is going to ALWAYS be better than the Deco. No matter your situation, the tank itself is NEVER going to stop being a better tank. If you have to get a custom lid for it and put it on on Friday night, it will be completely worth it. It does not even have to be custom if nobody is going to see it again until Monday. Just go to the thrift store and buy a really cheap picture frame with glass that will cover the thing. Done. I know my way around the thrift store and you can score that piece of glass for less than $5. If you can't afford that then you need to take your pico and get a new office at a job that will pay you $5 more per year.

You will be fine. I have left for weekend trips, thursday night/ friday morning and came home Sunday midnight / monday night. Yeah the water level was lower than I wanted but everything was fine.

I noticed with the stock light, you cannot set the water level very high. the water starts getting between the clamp and pushes the water over the side.

with the stock light, you probably can't have a lid, with the current lights / coralife it comes with legs that you can rest ontop, instead of the hanging clamp thing.

Archived