t-5 bulb selection

jerzsky

after the new year i plan on purchasing the nova extreme pro. and plan on ditching the stock bulbs for these. after reading bout the diff bulbs, and purposes, and lighting output they give. i have come up with this, all ati:

FRONT

aqua blue special

blue plus

aqua blue special

pro color

ati actinic

aqua blue special

BACK

any thoughts comments??

mark

masterbuilder

Looks to me that your going for the bright white look (12-14K). If thats right...I would replace the Actinic with another Blue+. It will give you more 3 times the PAR and the same actinic effect. T5 actinic lamps are just not very good. Check out charts at someplace like aquariumspecialty.com on the actinic and blue+ and you will see what I mean. Other than that, looks good for a 14K look.

Militant Jurist
Looks to me that your going for the bright white look (12-14K). If thats right...I would replace the Actinic with another Blue+. It will give you more 3 times the PAR and the same actinic effect. T5 actinic lamps are just not very good. Check out charts at someplace like aquariumspecialty.com on the actinic and blue+ and you will see what I mean. Other than that, looks good for a 14K look.

What if you wanted a bit more blue, rather than white? Currently, I've just got a 2x24w, but I may add a second fixture in the future. What bulbs (without breaking the bank!) would you recommend?

Perhaps AquaBlue Special along with Blue Plus in the fixture? Or would that be way too blue? They didn't have a spec sheet on the pro color, so I'm not sure of its result. And yes, I can certainly see how the Blue Plus has a LOT more intensity than regular actinic!

masterbuilder
What if you wanted a bit more blue, rather than white? Currently, I've just got a 2x24w, but I may add a second fixture in the future. What bulbs (without breaking the bank!) would you recommend?

Perhaps AquaBlue Special along with Blue Plus in the fixture? Or would that be way too blue?

If I could only have two lamps...that would be my combo of choice.

Militant Jurist

Great. :D After I cycle the upgrade tank, I think I'll go pick those up. At about $19 each (plus shipping, whatever that will be), are those at a good price?

I would go with 3- ATI Blue Plus ans 3- Aquablues. It will give you great par and a blueish, white look. It you want some thing for your red's and yellows. Take out one or two of the Aquablues and use a GE 6500K daylight bulb or a UVL Aquasun. I would stick with the 3-Blue Plus though no matter what. Great bulb for par and awesome color.

Archived