Pod Your Reef

Can you ID this anemone?

backpurge

IMG_1945.jpg

Can you ID this anemone? It has a white/yellowish body with blue tips. The LFS had it in a tank with different looking anemones and the only lable on the tank was 'Yellow African Anemone', though the other ones were very dark yellow. Sound correct?

I've been feeding it dried mysis shrimp, poops them out a couple days later so it must be eating them. :P

its a sebae anemone that is bleached. I have one also - it was bleached when I bought it. It is suppose to be a difficult anemone to keep, although mine is very hardy.

It needs strong lights. I had mine under 12'' under 80 watts of power compact lighting for a very long time (now under metal halide). Is the anemone sticky? Does it hold on to your finger when you touch it? That is a sign of good health. I would continue to feed it directly. If you have enough light and good water quality it should start to turn a tannish, purple color. Once is regains its color, and it becomes sticky I would slow down on the direct feedings, as it will get most of its nourishment from light and small particles in the water.

Here is what mine looked like when I bought it

DCP_0004.jpg

and here is a close up of it now

CIMG0075.jpg

Good luck man!

looks bleached. What lighting do you have? How old is the tank?

After I bought it last week I did some reading and saw that anemones are sometimes dyed/bleached. I guess only time will tell as far as that goes. I have a 150w Viper Deluxe HQI MH (had it for a month) and the tank is over 3 years old (24G JBJ NanoCube).

I think that is enough light - if your water params are okay you should be in good shape.

So how often should I put bleach in my tank and how much? Will bleach be OK for my clownfish?

:o:P JK

Thanks for the help guys!

So how often should I put bleach in my tank and how much? Will bleach be OK for my clownfish?

:o:P JK

Thanks for the help guys!

1 drop/g kills all the bad stuff.

Archived