inTank Media Baskets

2g Mantis Tank

clifford513

Where did you get the MH from?

I got the desk lamp from Staples, the ballast from a seller here and the retro from Premium Aquatics . com

Hey Trav...do I need a lid on this tank?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should be ok without a lid. IIRC, the only species really known to jump is O. havanensis which can get a good 4" off of the water's surface. He should be fine, but, with a shallow tank, there is always a risk.

In my research, it seems most tanks are broken when the mantis is burrowing down in substrate that is too shallow and crack the bottom glass. I put in plenty of sand :) League is super cool! He doesn't even seem to be scared of me. I expected to have to spend quality time bonding and earning his trust. He is gung ho!

how much did league run ya? I plan on putting one in my AP 12

I traded some different shrooms and threw in some cheato and couple caulerpas for him. Redman was asking $20. Very neat animals :)

he's frekkin 'uge!!! whatr ya feedin that ting?

Sorry, just saw your post.

I feed my mantis double cheese and choco shakes

... called to check on the mantis aka lil red aka 20k leagues and he apparently likes salmon..woo woo

He took a small piece of krill

:)

Nice mantis tank with black sand. I had black sand in my tank too. :happy:

By the way is that your son? :happy: I'm jealous -_- He is more handsome than me :P

And Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to u and him :happy:

Nice mantis tank with black sand. I had black sand in my tank too. :happy:

By the way is that your son? :happy: I'm jealous -_- He is more handsome than me :P

And Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to u and him :happy:

Thanks!

And that is my son, thank you :)

looks great cliff. i wouldn't be worried about cracked glass. most of those stories are myths generated from a few instances of people keeping G. chiragra and O. scyllarus in small tanks with thin glass. the 2.5g looks alright right now, but, like i said before, a 5.5g would a nice investment some time down the road.

Yeah, I kinda gathered the myth :happy: Depending on his size and how hard it will be to keep good water quality will dictate whether I go for a 5.5. He ate what part of the krill he wanted and I fished the rest out. I think if I just don't overfeed him and clean after each meal, this tank may be okay for a while. Thanks for all your input Travis :)

No problem Cliff. I get pm's all the time from people that need/want help with mantids so I don't mind. I'm used to it so let me know if you ever have any other questions. I've found that mantis info is one of the few areas that I can really help people out with. Info is pretty scarce because most people just don't understand. Other stuff is compounded by misinformation and myths about tank breaking. ;)

BustytheSnowMaam
No problem Cliff. I get pm's all the time from people that need/want help with mantids so I don't mind. I'm used to it so let me know if you ever have any other questions. I've found that mantis info is one of the few areas that I can really help people out with. Info is pretty scarce because most people just don't understand. Other stuff is compounded by misinformation and myths about tank breaking. ;)

Yeah, there is the misconception that mantids are sea monsters, which in some ways they are, but I don't think they're deserving of such a fearsome reputation. I have an N. wennerae in a community tank, and so far have had no problems- he fingerscrossed only eats the small snails I keep in there intentionally for him to eat. He's small though, and I think the astreas and even the ceriths must be too big/thick-shelled.

If I were you Cliff, I would feed him a snail every once in awhile to keep his raptoral appendage exercised (did I say that right Travis?). I have a self-propogating population of small snails that I keep in my tank- if you'd like I can send you a few and you can raise them for mantis food. They lay egg masses all over the glass, and the babies hatch in about 2 weeks. The adults get to be about a centimeter in length. They're what IPSF calls "strombus grazers"- I have no idea what they are really- but they're good little CUC and mantis snacks :).

I like the idea of keeping a mantis in a small tank- mine is in my 30 and I almost never see him, unless I catch him at the right time of day. They're so cool to watch.

Yeah, there is the misconception that mantids are sea monsters, which in some ways they are, but I don't think they're deserving of such a fearsome reputation. I have an N. wennerae in a community tank, and so far have had no problems- he fingerscrossed only eats the small snails I keep in there intentionally for him to eat. He's small though, and I think the astreas and even the ceriths must be too big/thick-shelled.

If I were you Cliff, I would feed him a snail every once in awhile to keep his raptoral appendage exercised (did I say that right Travis?). I have a self-propogating population of small snails that I keep in my tank- if you'd like I can send you a few and you can raise them for mantis food. They lay egg masses all over the glass, and the babies hatch in about 2 weeks. The adults get to be about a centimeter in length. They're what IPSF calls "strombus grazers"- I have no idea what they are really- but they're good little CUC and mantis snacks :).

I like the idea of keeping a mantis in a small tank- mine is in my 30 and I almost never see him, unless I catch him at the right time of day. They're so cool to watch.

That would be great tasha! I don't mind paying for the shipping :) I will pm you my address.

Thanks for the help, everyone :happy:

Yes Tasha. I went through a ton of snails for my mantis- went out and got tons of little ceriths all the time. You definitely want to keep him exercised, plus, it's just cool to

Nice video, Travis. I liked this

too :scarry:

hey man sweet setup...nice meeting you would def do it again..league will have a sweet ass home

Bout time you showed up...how are the shrooms? Thanks again :)

Archived