clifford513

2g Mantis Tank

Danyal

i used to have an N. wennerae named mr. brooks in a 5g flat(20x10x6) and they are awesome, water temp should be in the 74 to 80* range. they will often turn green under bright lights, if you want him to get red, keep lighting low. they do need some sort of way to put their clubs to use, or they sometimes loose them in a molt(not sure exactly why, check out reefcentral's mantis forum for better info) since mine had almost no interest in the crabs and snails i had with him, i would put mysis and krill into empty nerite shells(although he figured out quickly that all he had to do was roll them over) and i would stick krill on a feeding stick so he'd have to work a bit to get it off and he'd often start wacking the stick. 50* water is not healthy for them :tears:

Edited by Danyal

clifford513
i used to have an N. wennerae named mr. brooks in a 5g flat(20x10x6) and they are awesome, water temp should be in the 74 to 80* range. they will often turn green under bright lights, if you want him to get red, keep lighting low. they do need some sort of way to put their clubs to use, or they sometimes loose them in a molt(not sure exactly why, check out reefcentral's mantis forum for better info) since mine had almost no interest in the crabs and snails i had with him, i would put mysis and krill into empty nerite shells(although he figured out quickly that all he had to do was roll them over) and i would stick krill on a feeding stick so he'd have to work a bit to get it off and he'd often start wacking the stick. 50* water is not healthy for them :tears:

Thanks for the info. He is already red so I guess low watt lighting would be the best to keep him that way. I like the mh better though so I guess green is cool.

RedMan25xl

firsthand off I got up this morning at 330 to leave omaha at 6am now I am in cincinatti still waiting to go home won't get to my final destination until 10pm ( o'hare is gay) but anyway he isn't under lowlighting, he is under 96w of t5... and someone come here to gate a24 and keep me company...ho ho merry xmas

xbwolfx

Welcome to Cincinnati!

lol.

Technically you are in Kentucky, though. :)

Edited by xbwolfx

clifford513
firsthand off I got up this morning at 330 to leave omaha at 6am now I am in cincinatti still waiting to go home won't get to my final destination until 10pm ( o'hare is gay) but anyway he isn't under lowlighting, he is under 96w of t5... and someone come here to gate a24 and keep me company...ho ho merry xmas

Safe trip! See you Friday!

RedMan25xl

why thanks I hate this damn place I have been here half of the day but leaving in two hours... called to check on the mantis aka lil red aka 20k leagues and he apparently likes salmon..woo woo

clifford513

Sounds nutritious! Are you still in the airport? If so, that sux!

tinyreef
IMG_2590.jpg?t=1230078955
that's one furry mantis. :P

clifford513
that's one furry mantis. :P

:lol: Highly intelligent as well! One of the interactive species :)

clifford513

Traded the Whisper out for an old Regent I had. Just had to cut the uptake tube down :) Still need to clean the glass. The 1g mark is still visible :lol:

016.jpg?t=1230171010

travisurfer

looks much better

as for it still being red, it takes awhile for it to turn green. with each molt he should get greener and brighter.

clifford513

Thanks Trav! Either color is okay. I really just always wanted a mantis :happy: Maybe I will get around to carrying that mushy rock the few feet from my 33g sometime today :lol:

RedMan25xl

the tips of his clubs are green..

clifford513
the tips of his clubs are green..

:o Say it ain't so!

I will try to get in touch with you by phone sometime tomorrow if you will pm me your cell. Any idea when you might be in the Crossville area?

RedMan25xl

how far is that from exit 226?

clifford513
how far is that from exit 226?

It's exit 317 so 91 miles.

RedMan25xl

im guessing around 3..i will call you after i cross into tn

clifford513
im guessing around 3..i will call you after i cross into tn

10-4 but when you get into Knoxville will be okay.

RedMan25xl

ok itll be done..over

clifford513

Leagues new home (Thanks for the idea redman) w/o flash

081.jpg?t=1230314894

With flash

077.jpg?t=1230315071

Will be getting him in a couple hours or so, can't wait :)

Edited by clifford513

travisurfer

awesome :D

Lalani

Well that was a quick tank setup! :)

clifford513

Agghhhh! I'm so excited. Met redman (who is an alright dude :P ) and got League. He is so awesome. Thank you very much redman!

Acclimating:

IMG_2763.jpg?t=1230330805

IMG_2769.jpg?t=1230330836

IMG_2772.jpg?t=1230331413

IMG_2764.jpg?t=1230330859

He's (or she) has already taken up residence under the rock in front and center and even made the entrance right where I hoped. I chose that rock because it was bowl like and seemed to be the perfect lair when overturned. He took a small piece of krill from the skewer as soon as I offered it to him and is curled up in his lair!

IMG_2794.jpg?t=1230331458

Sorry for the crappy pics, in a hurry and my photog skills suck! Anyone has any tips for getting good shots please advise :)

Thanks again redman :D

awesome :D

I KNOW!!!!

Well that was a quick tank setup! :)

Maybe a record for me :lol:

clifford513

Eh, what's all the hub bub?

040-1.jpg?t=1230332220

Payara

Where did you get the MH from?