ReefCleaners.org

2g Mantis Tank

clifford513

i used to have an N. wennerae named mr. brooks in a 5g flat(20x10x6) and they are awesome, water temp should be in the 74 to 80* range. they will often turn green under bright lights, if you want him to get red, keep lighting low. they do need some sort of way to put their clubs to use, or they sometimes loose them in a molt(not sure exactly why, check out reefcentral's mantis forum for better info) since mine had almost no interest in the crabs and snails i had with him, i would put mysis and krill into empty nerite shells(although he figured out quickly that all he had to do was roll them over) and i would stick krill on a feeding stick so he'd have to work a bit to get it off and he'd often start wacking the stick. 50* water is not healthy for them :tears:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i used to have an N. wennerae named mr. brooks in a 5g flat(20x10x6) and they are awesome, water temp should be in the 74 to 80* range. they will often turn green under bright lights, if you want him to get red, keep lighting low. they do need some sort of way to put their clubs to use, or they sometimes loose them in a molt(not sure exactly why, check out reefcentral's mantis forum for better info) since mine had almost no interest in the crabs and snails i had with him, i would put mysis and krill into empty nerite shells(although he figured out quickly that all he had to do was roll them over) and i would stick krill on a feeding stick so he'd have to work a bit to get it off and he'd often start wacking the stick. 50* water is not healthy for them :tears:

Thanks for the info. He is already red so I guess low watt lighting would be the best to keep him that way. I like the mh better though so I guess green is cool.

firsthand off I got up this morning at 330 to leave omaha at 6am now I am in cincinatti still waiting to go home won't get to my final destination until 10pm ( o'hare is gay) but anyway he isn't under lowlighting, he is under 96w of t5... and someone come here to gate a24 and keep me company...ho ho merry xmas

firsthand off I got up this morning at 330 to leave omaha at 6am now I am in cincinatti still waiting to go home won't get to my final destination until 10pm ( o'hare is gay) but anyway he isn't under lowlighting, he is under 96w of t5... and someone come here to gate a24 and keep me company...ho ho merry xmas

Safe trip! See you Friday!

why thanks I hate this damn place I have been here half of the day but leaving in two hours... called to check on the mantis aka lil red aka 20k leagues and he apparently likes salmon..woo woo

Traded the Whisper out for an old Regent I had. Just had to cut the uptake tube down :) Still need to clean the glass. The 1g mark is still visible :lol:

016.jpg?t=1230171010

Thanks Trav! Either color is okay. I really just always wanted a mantis :happy: Maybe I will get around to carrying that mushy rock the few feet from my 33g sometime today :lol:

the tips of his clubs are green..

:o Say it ain't so!

I will try to get in touch with you by phone sometime tomorrow if you will pm me your cell. Any idea when you might be in the Crossville area?

Agghhhh! I'm so excited. Met redman (who is an alright dude :P ) and got League. He is so awesome. Thank you very much redman!

Acclimating:

IMG_2763.jpg?t=1230330805

IMG_2769.jpg?t=1230330836

IMG_2772.jpg?t=1230331413

IMG_2764.jpg?t=1230330859

He's (or she) has already taken up residence under the rock in front and center and even made the entrance right where I hoped. I chose that rock because it was bowl like and seemed to be the perfect lair when overturned. He took a small piece of krill from the skewer as soon as I offered it to him and is curled up in his lair!

IMG_2794.jpg?t=1230331458

Sorry for the crappy pics, in a hurry and my photog skills suck! Anyone has any tips for getting good shots please advise :)

Thanks again redman :D

awesome :D

I KNOW!!!!

Well that was a quick tank setup! :)

Maybe a record for me :lol:

Archived