inTank Media Baskets

2g Mantis Tank

clifford513

Looks like I will be getting a nice little mantis :)

2g aga

Whisper filter

small heater (in filter)

black sand

70w mh desk lamp mod

Just threw it together today. I will put a nice piece of lr from my 33g into it. Here are a few pic.

IMG_2590.jpg?t=1230078955

IMG_2591.jpg?t=1230078980

IMG_2589.jpg?t=1230078933

IMG_2586.jpg?t=1230078913

IMG_2587.jpg?t=1230078863

i checkz everywhere...no leakz

IMG_2592.jpg?t=1230079094

1g of water

IMG_2600.jpg?t=1230079196

It's a go!

IMG_2593.jpg?t=1230079274

I am making a little box to keep sand out of the Whisper, tomorrow. I have some scrap acrylic.

Any comments or suggestions welcome. Trav, please feel free to weigh in with any advice on keeping ms.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. I'm gonna add a mushroom rock later tonight or tomorrow and try to scape a little.

Anyone got any ideas on an id for this little fellow?

002.jpg

mantis shrimp are messy eaters...i'd be a little worried about the volume of that tank being a bit too small.

looks like a pseudosquilla ciliata...from the pic anyway. does it appear to be a spearer or a smasher. If it's a smasher and not a spearer, than it's probably a neogonodactylus wennerae.

I thought I would feed this one krill, mysis, and silversides and try to limit the amount so there would not be an excess of wastes. What do you suggest as a healthy feeding regimen.

70w mh is way to much for a mantis, i suggest you stay around 10w

Will it cause it to be stressed? I have a compact fluorescent lamp I can use.

70w mh is way to much for a mantis, i suggest you stay around 10w

actually that's a good point. It has been theorized that bright lighting, like MH's, may be a factor in the development of shell disease, which is a leading killer of stomatopods... that's an awful lot of light for 2 gallons, and would likely also put out a lot of heat as well.

oh, and i feed mine once a week...I've had her for about a year and that seems to be working well. though she'll eat as often as I feed her. Here's a good source of information: http://www.stomatopod.com/phpBB3/

I feed my mantis double cheese and choco shakes so that would be fine..he will be yours soon and im sure he will like that much more than being locked up in a critter carrier on the outskirts of my 20g

I feed my mantis double cheese and choco shakes so that would be fine..he will be yours soon and im sure he will like that much more than being locked up in a critter carrier on the outskirts of my 20g

:lol: Good to hear from you! Can't wait to get the little red devil :)

lol, Cliff.

mantis looks cool. i'll work on an id later. it's definitely not wennerae, assuming that the rocks aren't caribbean. just be aware that you may have to upgrade the tank eventually to better care for it. mantids can be sloppy with prey thus leading to messes.

70w is most likely too much. some species can get stressed out from high light scenarios. if you could raise the fixture up more, it would look a lot better than that crappy 13w. lol.

be sure to check out the mantis info thread i made in the invert section. should help you out with most of your basic questions. feel free to pm me whenever as well.

EDIT: based on some of the pics, G. viridus seems likely, but don't quote me on it. the origin of the liverock would definitely help for a positive id

Yay! I hate that pc light. I can raise it up, a little :)

On the feeding, I don't want to underfeed, but definitely not overfeed. Would biweekly offerings be enough for good nutrition. I don't really like the idea of buying live prey. If it will accept krill, mysis, and silversides would that be okay? I figure it will eat some flake and pellets too, mirite? Sea cockroach, iirc. :P

EDIT: based on some of the pics, G. viridus seems likely, but don't quote me on it. the origin of the liverock would definitely help for a positive id

Hear that Red? Do you know where the rock came from?

the cat is future mantis food, right?

Naw, Bubba's mah helper. He is so nosy. I cleaned the tank, put it down, and in he goes

i no the tank is the focus here but AWSOME CAT :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg:haha:

LOL, thanks! Someone just dropped it off and we adopted it. I had no intentions of keeping it but it stole my heart.

i have heard, though, that a mantis can cover approx 1200 miles in about 14 seconds but i think the guy that told me suffers from dillusions..

Probably true. Make sure your ol' lady knows too. Don't want you backing out on me :P

Temp runs at 82f with the mh and 76f with the cf. I suppose raising the mh would = lower temp. What is a good steady temp for a mantis?

most likely N. wennerae but still a possibility for N. bredini

under the halide(still raise it up, like, a lot), expect him to turn green ;)

EDIT: for feeding, get some selcon and some white shrimp from the grocery store. cut the shrimp into about 1/4" cubes and freeze. feed him a cube thawed out in water with selcon twice a week or so. scallops and clams work great as well. regardless, you should still keep a decent supply of snails and hermits not only to scavenge the tank but too keep him entertained as well.

Thanks trav! I will post some more pics once I get him. I hope he stays red though green would still look cool with black sand. Entertainment :o

Thanks trav! I will post some more pics once I get him. I hope he stays red though green would still look cool with black sand. Entertainment :o

lol, with a halide and a wennerae, i can guarantee that it will turn green. they just do that. if it is indeed a wennerae, a 5.5g would be plenty to happily house it when full grown.

I'm thinking I will just buy a hob filter to make changing cartridges and cleanup easier. Could also put some cheato in there and use the 13 watter to create a small fuge area behind the filter. I'm getting excited :)

Green's cool too. I <3 red though. Toss up between the two for my favorite color ;)

Archived