ReefCleaners.org

MJ's 20L Formerly-AIO, now with a sump!

Militant Jurist

I like the tank bro. It looks great so far. Keep us updated with any new pics you take. What are you going to stock it with?

Bruce

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist
I like the tank bro. It looks great so far. Keep us updated with any new pics you take. What are you going to stock it with?

Bruce

Thanks! For now, it's just going to be the coral in the 10 gallon (frogspawn, acan, trumpet, chalice, and several types of zoas, palys, and shrooms). I recently got another T5HO fixture, so that I'll have a total of 96w on the tank, so I'm thinking of getting a few more light intensive corals after everything settles out. Right now, I only have inverts, and I haven't decided if I want to get a fish or not. I have odd hours at home, so it's easier to just focus on the corals, rather than worrying about feeding a fish.

Militant Jurist

UPDATE:

Test results show 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and 15-20 Nitrates! So far, I've seen no diatom bloom, so I'm still giving it another week or so before putting any coral in.

Militant Jurist

I'm running two Nova Extreme's over the tank. Each has one white and one actinic bulb, giving me a total of 96w on the tank. I'm getting a lot of evap with the tank, so I'm going to have to come up with a plan to counter it.

I've got a bit of DIY work to do, since the lights are somewhat precarious over the tank, given that they are 24" lights. I've got to find some eggcrate, which is surprisingly difficult in Columbus.

Thanks for looking! I'll try to post a photo of my lighting tonight (currently on the 10g until the move).

Militant Jurist
So what is your T5HO setup now?

I just got a T5HO retro but am still working on getting it set up.

Here's a picture of the light setup. It's currently on the 10 gallon, and the 20L is in the background.

100_0721.jpg

++ EDIT ++

The diatoms have FINALLY bloomed! Now I can relax with it being a normal cycle. ;)

Hi does the L in 20L actually mean litres? Sorry just confused as it looks way bigger than your 10G tank. Mind sharing measurements?

I'm thinking of putting a 24" 4x24W T5HO fixture over my 26litre tank which is 40cm(16") tank long so kind of interested to see how your lighting works out for you.

Hi does the L in 20L actually mean litres? Sorry just confused as it looks way bigger than your 10G tank. Mind sharing measurements?

I'm thinking of putting a 24" 4x24W T5HO fixture over my 26litre tank which is 40cm(16") tank long so kind of interested to see how your lighting works out for you.

It means it's a 20 Long Tank Size (30'' long x 12'' wide). 4x24w T5 should work fine on your tank.

Militant Jurist
It means it's a 20 Long Tank Size (30'' long x 12'' wide). 4x24w T5 should work fine on your tank.

Correct. I'm sticking with the 24" lights because the display area of my 20L is 24" long by 12" wide.

Militant Jurist

UPDATE:

The 10 gallon has essentially been moved into this tank. I've got a bit of re-scaping to do, but the rockwork is now in place. I left several corals in the 10g for now, since I got a great deal on a couple of new pieces, so I'm leaving some LR and the corals on it in the tank. I'm going to try to get a photo of the 20L tomorrow.

For now, here are the photos of the new coral!

The overview of the corals on the MagRack I just created:

MontiandDuncan001.jpg

And a side-view close-up:

MontiandDuncan003.jpg

The duncan has one large head and one baby (which I got for free!) and is already taking food. The monti cap is already extending a few polyps.

Militant Jurist

Well, today the frog and the large red mushroom finally had it out. The red mushroom has a couple of burn streaks on it. However, the frog got a few licks too, which is the strange part. The frog had kept out one sweeper all the time. It had something wrapped around the end of the sweeper, and it looked kind of like lint. After the fight, the tip of the sweeper fell off! Luckily, I saw that happen, so I got it off the shroom quickly, and it should bounce back quickly.

javisaman

Nice setup. Can't wait to see the tank matured.

Frogspawns are pretty mean. I'm using mine to keep a rock covered in mushrooms and xenia at bay.

What is the circular coral on the right?

Militant Jurist
Nice setup. Can't wait to see the tank matured.

Frogspawns are pretty mean. I'm using mine to keep a rock covered in mushrooms and xenia at bay.

What is the circular coral on the right?

Thanks!

That's why I put the frog where I did. I had heard early on that mushrooms could be satan's spawn, so I decided to have the frog play goalie! ;)

If I'm thinking of the right coral (about 2 inches to the right from the trumpet), it's a chalice coral. It's one of those borderline LPS/SPS corals. I almost lost it in a power outage a while back, but it's made a great comeback!

Militant Jurist

I got a new green echinopora over the weekend from the next to last day of PB's sale. The coral is approximately a 1"x2" frag and it set me back a total of $6! B) It's slightly different from my chalice based on its apparent structure, but I've been told that it's a closely related species.

I'll have a picture today when the lights come on!

Militant Jurist

So, here's a complete update on the tank:

New FTS:

May09001.jpg

Frag rack with duncan frag, monti cap, and some zoas:

May09008.jpg

Frog and shrooms:

May09010.jpg

Is the little green blob a frogspawn baby?

May09013.jpg

Not the best of pictures, but I think the frog may be slowly trying to regrow an old head?

May09016.jpg

LPS center (Trumpet, Chalice, and Acan Lord, from left to right):

May09003.jpg

Up close and personal with the chalice:

May09005.jpg

And without further ado ... the new echino!

May09004.jpg

racechase

sweet new frags man :D although with all that rock in there you hardly have space for much more ;)

and what does it take to become part of team T5HO? :lol:

Militant Jurist
sweet new frags man :D although with all that rock in there you hardly have space for much more ;)

and what does it take to become part of team T5HO? :lol:

Thanks! It looks like a lot of rock, but it's got a good slope to it. The top point of the rock in the center is along the back wall, but the rock under the chalice is about 2" from the front glass. Even though I only added about 5 gallons of display area when I upgraded, I've got about twice the amount of real estate as I had in the 10 gallon, so I'm very excited!

Oh, and to get into T5HO, you have to know the secret handshake. ;)

The green of that frogspawn is crazy. :D

Thanks! I've had that frog for a while, and it's always been one of my favorite corals. I can't wait until some babies really take hold and start growing! :D

Militant Jurist
Looks great

All those corals wow you did a good job on this tank.

Thank you! It's taken a lot of work to get to this point, since each coral (other than the frogspawn) started out as a small frag! It's been a budget tank, with the equipment slowly being upgraded and most frags were purchased for $10 or less. It's been a great time watching the tank and coral mature.

racechase

so is it like, 2 shakes, a fist bump, a thumb twist with a shake finish, and then an explosion?

Archived