Innovative Marine Aquariums

please help, i am new.....

dart_king

hi there, i am new to this forum, i just registered 5 minutes ago.... i have been thinking of starting a nano reef, but i need your help on how to...

I am a complete newbie in saltwater tanks, i would be building an acrylic cube tanks, and that is all i know lol.

What else am i going to need? Can you give me a list of things i will need? (Ex..filter, heater, lights) Also average prices will be very helpful!

i would like to put a couple fish, and mayby shrimps, or mayby just have a couple puffer fish....

Any help is appretiated!

Thanks!

no puffer.

And WELCOME!

Take it slow.

Things you need to do first.

1. decide on what type of coral you would like to keep.

2. purchase or build tank with appropriate light to the coral you want to keep. ( you don't have to have a light during the curing process of your LR)

3. Obtain LR either cured or uncured (I like uncured) about 1lb per gallon.

4. Choose your salt brand.

5. Add RO water only into tank that is setup with heater and raise salt to 1.026

6. Wait a month.

7. During step #6 figure out the rest of your tank.

Oh and listen and heed the advice that is going to be listed below me.

:welcome: to NR.com

Honestly, you should read as much as you can before thinking about starting a reef tank. I researched for several months before starting my first tank and that was the best thing I've ever done.

ok like i said i am a complete newbie.... i do have an RO system, and i will do alot of reading can you direct me to a link? I dont know how to get around the forum yet....

burtbollinger

yep....all the above is dead on....read those articles until you have the facts memorized...

the key to everything is live rock....proper lighting, weekly water changes (IMO), and good water quality.....that and patience. rushing things and buying cheap stuff are the worst things you can do.

what I would have onhand: tank, stand, live rock, live sand (IMO), heater, powerheads, test kits. refractomer or hydrometer, a bucket or some water containers, turkey baster, ph/alk/ca buffers, chemi-pure elite, a wealth of knowledge, and patience...down the line my personal opinion is that a good proteinn skimmer and an RO/DI filter are good things to have. I am also a fan of bounty paper towels....many rolls.

oh and a respect for the overall general consensus you recieve from this forum. If one yahoo says "no"....well, take it under consideration....but when multiple folks with 1000+ posts say "no"...it's usally best to follow that advice.

I bought "The Nano-Reef Handbook" by CR Brightwell. Have read it a million times. I like how it relates everything to nano, so you know what fish to have and not have and how to maintain a small tank. I have two other sw books that are good too but have read the above book the most. Picked my current fish based on his suggestions. The book sadly does not mention puffer fish, so they are a no I am afraid, unless you were to join big-ass-tanks.com.

:welcome: to NR.com

Honestly, you should read as much as you can before thinking about starting a reef tank. I researched for several months before starting my first tank and that was the best thing I've ever done.

Same here

ok ill keep reading, but i have a feeling im going to be confused with some words....any idea how much a 20 gallon cube would cost to make? I already have the tank, but to have all the olther parts?

ok ill keep reading, but i have a feeling im going to be confused with some words....any idea how much a 20 gallon cube would cost to make? I already have the tank, but to have all the olther parts?

like what rocket said, you need to decide if and what kinds of corals do you want.

It all depends on what you want to do. You can do it for maybe under 100$ or you can easily go over 1000$. This hobby takes tons of research and planning. Hasty and rapid decisions spell out disaster as most new people find out.

ok i read some basics, and obviously thats not enough, although it dosnt seem very hard... basiclly all i need is a heater, power jet, live sand (best quality for sure), live rock ( the best i could afford), and salt (which brand is best)....anything else?

I will not have any frags, corals, or fish for a while after setting it up...

Archived