ReefCleaners.org

Would this work?

zygote

I've been looking for a new tank - used to have a 20 long. I love fish, the bf loves coral.

So far, I've looked into the 29g BioCube & stand ($460 locally + tax) and the 28g NanoCube HQL + stand ($679.00 locally or @ $500.00 online).

The BioCube really doesn't have the lights to keep the type of corals the bf wants and the LFS recommends puting a Sapphire skimmer (about $170.00) on it immediately.

From what I've read and been told, the NanoCube HQL would require a chiller, jacking the price up at least another $350.

I can get the 34 gallon Solana & stand for about $450.00 online without the light. The 20" 150Wt HQL Sunpod would run another $220. (I actually don't mind the disco ball look of the pendant that usually comes with it, but I'd like to have moonlights...)

If I pulled the glass top from the Solana and replaced it with screen (for the leapers), would I still need a chiller? And could I put screen on the rimless Solana without killing the look of the tank?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would personally just get a couple fans and have them blow on the water. This would then mean i vote for the solana. Did you ever consider getting a plain old tank, drilling it, and adding a sump? That could possible be cheaper...

I would personally just get a couple fans and have them blow on the water. This would then mean i vote for the solana. Did you ever consider getting a plain old tank, drilling it, and adding a sump? That could possible be cheaper...

Thanks for the reply. I have considered that. Absolutely loved my 20 long - the larger footprint was nice for the fish I favor (had a Blue Spotted Jawfish, a Firefish, a Tangaroa Goby w/Pistol Shrimp, and a Tailspot Blenny - all had plenty of room); but I can't drill, I have no plumbing knowledge, etc... I had CF lights on the 20 long and didn't even have a skimmer - just a regular filter. Got by because I was meticulous with my water changes and maintenance.

I've been looking at Craigslist and have found some larger setups at reasonable prices, but my living room and bedroom are upstairs in the new house and I'd like to have the tank upstairs as well, so I'm thinking I should stick to something smaller.

Found one 29g BioCube on Craigslist, but he's selling everything with it: 6 Chromis, 2 Tangs, and 4 other fish. I don't want to pay $750 for his overstocked tank.

Archived