inTank Media Baskets

Theoretical Tank Setup Question

themadride

I'm planning a new tank to begin in a few months. I have a theoretical question about filtration.

I know several successful reef keepers who use a refugium as the only form of filtration in their systems. If I understand correctly though, a refugium really only serves two purposes:

- A: Hidden area to keep unsightly but beneficial algae and organisms.

- B: A place for pods to grow and propogate without being disturbed/eaten by tank inhabitants.

Now, based on those presumed facts....(correct me if I'm wrong) here is my question.

If I had:

- Enough live rock (est. 3lbs per gallon +)

- Some beneficial algae in the main tank

- Plenty of surface area for gas exchange (read longer than usual tank for size)

- Several powerheads for good flow

- Very small bioload (est. 1 small fish per 8-12 gallons.)

.......Is it possible that I could do without ANY other form of filtration??? No HOB..No overflow...No Sump...No Skimmer etc.

1) Is it realistic? 2) Is it possible in theory?

THANKS GUYS!

1-1.5 pounds per gallon is all you need. 3 pounds per gallon would severely limit swimming space for the fish.

Actually, for 5 years (off and on), I've kept a few (or no) fish in my 20 high with a couple of rocks and no external equipment; only powerheads and a thermometer are in the tank. As long as you bioload and feeding is proportional, you should have the most simple setup short of a sunlit tank.

1) Is it realistic? 2) Is it possible in theory?

It is more than realistic, it's how most of us did our first tanks. Refugiums, filters, skimmers... all are nice to have and arguably make keeping a tank easier, but none of them are necessary. All you really need is good rock, a small bioload and frequent small water changes and you'll be good to go.

neanderthalman
It is more than realistic, it's how most of us did our first tanks. Refugiums, filters, skimmers... all are nice to have and arguably make keeping a tank easier, but none of them are necessary. All you really need is good rock, a small bioload and frequent small water changes and you'll be good to go.

+1

Archived