What if you were to lose power for a few days?

i like fish

We had an interesting ice storm last weekend where we lost power all weekend. I'm actually quite glad I haven't set up my tank yet since I wouldn't have known what to do, and we don't own a generator.

I was thinking about buying an uninterruptible power supply to at least keep heater and jets running if we lose power for 30min to 1 hr. Perhaps if in a pinch, use instant hot packs in the water to at least keep the water warm if it were longer than that?

What would you put in your emergency backup kit?

el_vulture619

My power just went out yesterday for 13+ hrs! I woke up to my house at 57 degrees! :o All my tanks were just as cold. I filled ziplock bags with hot water and floated them to help warm the water. As soon as the bags got cold I refilled them with hot water again. I was also moving the water with a big kitchen spoon to help even out the temperature. I am glad it was only a day....I would have been forced to move my 10g to a friends house with power!

That link has some good ideas but they are not cheap! If I had a bigger tank I would have had to run to the stores. I didnt mind power outages...till I got fish!

I use a pretty decent sized UPS to run my main pump (40w) and heater (150w). If we were to lose power I've estimated that it would run the system for about 4 hours if the heater were on continuously. Now, I've been lucky and haven't been without power for longer then 1.5 hours. If it were longer I'd probably go rent/buy a generator.

was hit hard by the large outage this year here in the midwest (louisville, KY) area, was without power for several days

i had a power inverter i rigged up alligator clips on instead of the cigarrette plug, took car battery out of one car brought it inside, hooked to inverter, connected air pump for tank, kept multimeter on battery, when time was right, took battery out to car, let it run to charge, get battery out of other car, bring inside.....rinse repeat

i live in an apartment on the second floor, so buying a generator is not an option

temperature is not your only worry, you need to keep the water turning over, adding oxygen to offset the CO2

Purchase extra Beer B)

Ill drink it hot or cold...LOL

Seriously...Battery operated air pumps are awesome...just keep in mind your

tank temp will start swinging to the temp of the air being injected...not to mention

the bubbles have a natural cooling affect as the pop.

My list: (besides beer)

Portable heat device (either fueled with ability to vent or electrical)

Gas Generator (plenty of fuel or cars to steal it from)

Battery powered air pumps.

Water bottles (pre frozen for summer months.)

Izzue

I was out of power for 8 days during the hurricane. My tank survived with a battery powered air pump. I had the lid off and would occasionally stur the water.

was hit hard by the large outage this year here in the midwest (louisville, KY) area, was without power for several days

i had a power inverter i rigged up alligator clips on instead of the cigarrette plug, took car battery out of one car brought it inside, hooked to inverter, connected air pump for tank, kept multimeter on battery, when time was right, took battery out to car, let it run to charge, get battery out of other car, bring inside.....rinse repeat

i live in an apartment on the second floor, so buying a generator is not an option

temperature is not your only worry, you need to keep the water turning over, adding oxygen to offset the CO2

The one caused by the windstorm from Ike in mid-September? We got the same one here pretty badly, if so.

Anyway, good advice here. I used a power inverter and car batteries to run an air pump and wrapped the tank in a couple of camping-quality sleeping bags. The thing to remember with air pumps is that the column of bubbles rising to the top of the tank acts like a (very poor) protein skimmer. So, you need to be careful and skim the surface with a cup every hour or couple of hours to remove what waste might be getting deposited on top. Also with the inverter, I ran a cheap desk light to help keep the tank a little lit.

You do want to keep your temp above 74, IMO. If you have a grill (if your water heater is run on electricity) you can fill a pan with water and go heat it up on the grill, then very slowly mix in the warm water. You'd need someone better on the specifics, but I'm thinking if you boiled tap, it might purify it enough to be able to use it in the tank, just obviously cool it back down before adding it.

I would, above all else, buy a gas-powered generator if you have the option, for use in prolonged outages. With the nanos being so much smaller, it may be possible to run some and your fridge off of the same generator, that way you preserve your tank and the $$$ of food in your refridgerator.

Here's an article I wrote about the subject, after losing 3 entire systems to hurricane Ike :(:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_5/volume_5_3/power.htm

We have insulation, several battery powered air pumps with enough batteries to run them for a month, solar chargers for the batteries and our DC to AC power converter, and UPS systems. Gas wasn't available to run generators anywhere in the south TX area for weeks. Managed to keep both nanos alive, and some large marine puffers in buckets (had to evacuate). Still lost a ton of fish and corals, including my reticularis puffer and a huge zebra moray. :(

el_vulture619
You do want to keep your temp above 74, IMO. If you have a grill (if your water heater is run on electricity) you can fill a pan with water and go heat it up on the grill, then very slowly mix in the warm water. You'd need someone better on the specifics, but I'm thinking if you boiled tap, it might purify it enough to be able to use it in the tank, just obviously cool it back down before adding it.

Boiling water to add is not going to work. You have to take old water out so you dont over flow the tank, then get this new hot water to the right salinity after/before. It would also only last a few hrs. When I floated the ziplock bags full of hot water it worked pretty good, with no mixing.

I have a gas water heater so no electricity needed. For all you that were hit by hurricanes with no power for weeks... I thank you for the great advice! Blankets and car batteries with power inverters!

Some tequila always keeps me warm...would it help my clowns if I gave them a shot or 3?! :D Lets see how they swim then!

Here's an article I wrote about the subject, after losing 3 entire systems to hurricane Ike :(:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_5/volume_5_3/power.htm

We have insulation, several battery powered air pumps with enough batteries to run them for a month, solar chargers for the batteries and our DC to AC power converter, and UPS systems. Gas wasn't available to run generators anywhere in the south TX area for weeks. Managed to keep both nanos alive, and some large marine puffers in buckets (had to evacuate). Still lost a ton of fish and corals, including my reticularis puffer and a huge zebra moray. :(

GREAT article. I made a pdf of it for my files. Thanks.

Archived