Is the Chalice just POed? - UPDATED

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist

I got a chalice coral today (a good 2.5" diameter coral) from the LFS. It was a nice dark green with orange centers. By time I got it home and temp acclimated, it had turned red and slightly receded showing some skeleton. By the time I acclimated it a bit to the water, it had receded just a little bit more. It's been in the tank for an hour, and still the same. I'm hoping it's just pissed, but I haven't had many LPS before, and I've never seen one change color so drastically! To make matters worse, I bumped my trumpet with the new piece of rock with the chalice on it, and so now the trumpet is pissed too! I did a quick 10% water change, and I'll be getting another ready to do tomorrow night if need be. I know LPS have a tendency to release more mucus and toxins when extremely pissed, so I'm ready to dilute them with new water if that's what it will take. I've also got a new skimmer running, so I'm hoping that will help if it's a mucus/toxin issue. From my freshwater background, I've also shut off the lights to let the coral acclimate to the tank without needing to acclimate to a new light as well. Is this wise? I don't have a picture because the light is off.

Advice (or instructions to relax) will be welcome!

I would reinforce your own statement...that being relax...If you think it needs anything I would suggest a nice iodine dip, just for overall health, otherwise just watch it for a day or two and see what it looks like...LPS's can be really pissy about new digs until they reinflate with the new water...

er1c_the_reefer

the only time i've seen chalices change color that fast was when they're **VERY** stress or dying. post a picture of it.

they slime a lot, but i don't recall reading anything about alleleopathic toxins being released by lps. you can blow the mucus off, but i usually leave it alone.

Militant Jurist

Thanks for the info. I think that part of the coloration may have been the difference between the LFS (which is heavy in actinic plus MH) to my T5HO 10000K and Actinic lighting. It's still a lot more red/brown than in the store, but I'm seeing a bit of green as kind of a gloss now.

Here's a picture:

Picture001.jpg

EDIT: Although I think the Trumpet suffered a tiny bit of tissue damage, in the short time the lighting was out, he had put out his feeders along with the other trumpets and readily took food. I'm thinking that he's in the clear at least.

Militant Jurist

It is my understanding that chalice do not typically take frozen mysis? I know they have sweeper tentacles, but I thought it was more like my frogspawn, in that it tends to feed indirectly through the water column?

Militant Jurist
turn off the flow, put some frozen mysis right on top of it. if it eats, it's a good sign.

Aye aye. I'll start thawing the frozen mysis right now.

Militant Jurist

Good news! It ate! He chowed down on 3 pieces of mysis through 3 different mouths. The third (and biggest piece) is still on going, but two pieces are officially down the hatch. The turkey baster had to play the offensive line for the chalice to guard against my PITA white-knuckled crab, and the 3ml dropper was a marine sniper taking out the nass. snails trying to gather the food. The snails ran a diversion while the white-knuckled VC successfully raided the trumpet coral's food stash right out of one mouth; however, on the whole, Operation "Feed for Signs of Life" appears to be a success. Thank you, I do feel much better now about the odds for this coral.

Militant Jurist

What should I watch out for? A worsening? A lack of improvement? Or should I just continue to feed a few pieces to in in the exact same manner every day and make sure it eats these next couple days?

Militant Jurist

UPDATE:

At this point, there is still no change. The coral still looks the same, and has eaten only once. I tried to feed again last night, but it would not take it; however, it was several hours after lights out, and even my trumpets had taken their feeder tentacles in. The lights are due to come up in an hour, and the trumpets have their feeders out again, so I'm going to try feeding the chalice again as soon as the frozen mysis thaws.

EDIT: The good news is that it is currently eating 4 or 5 pieces of mysis right now. It has chowed down on one of the smaller pieces and it's got another piece fully in the mouth. Those mouthes can spread WIDE! Am I out of the woods, and it has just changed color because of the change in lighting from MH and probably VHO to my T5HO system?

New Picture

Picture004.jpg

Could it there be chemical warfare between the frog, chalice and trumpet? They are in a diagonal line from back left to front right. Here are their locations:

Picture005.jpg

It looks fine to me, color change is probably just the difference in lighting is all and it looks far enough from other corals to not be an issue. Quit worrying! I don't even feed most of my chalices. My clownfish won't let me.

Militant Jurist

Lol I have to ward off the crabs and snails. Thanks, I just want the coral to be in good shape for I leave town for a few days for Christmas. I want to be able to rest easy while I'm gone.

The Propagator

opposite of popular belief chalice corals do not like a lot of light. If it starts fading shade it.

Last....be patient. You just got it homey ! It will take up to two full weeks for it to fully settle in and plump up.

Just feed it , and sit back. It'll be ok bro' :D

The chalice I have in my tank looks extremely similar, but with different color. Mine changed color over time once I added it as well, I shaded it for about 2 weeks and it still had a rough time.

Militant Jurist

What's weird is that this particular frag came from about 3/4ths of the way to the top in the LFS. Although from what I've read about them, they grow better under low light, but color up better under higher light. That could explain the color change, I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
Militant Jurist

So, I thought I'd give an update again. The chalice has begun to recover some of the exposed areas from where it was in contact with other chalice corals at the LFS. It has also begun to return to the color it was at the LFS, but it's doing so in patches. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, so input would be appreciated!

100_0688.jpg

Dude....that thing is doing BEAUTIFULLY...I love it....I thought you were okay from the first post, but who am I???? Look at the first picture beside the current picture and do the Happy Corals dance about how much it has GROWN!!!! and that's just been a couple weeks now!

Doing good man,

Mitch

Archived