Top Shelf Aquatics

Yellow Tail Damsel

Noobeef

Currently, I have a small ocellaris clown, bicolor psedo and a flame hawk. I was wondering if I would be making a huge mistake adding a blue yellow tail damsel. I know damsels are the spawns of Satan and all, but if I were adding it as the last fish in a tank that has some pretty dominant fishies to begin with, could I get away with it? The reason I want him/her is I think they are cute fish and I want some blue in my tank. Obviously a blue tang is out of the question and any other blue, reef safe fish seems to be the kind that my bicolor would turn into lunch. So could it work?

Yellow tails are one of the less aggressive damsels out there. Just be prepared for aggression unless you move the rocks around a bit to make the existing fish in the tank think that they are in a new reef and don't have any established territory. And your clown is a damsel by the way. You could also look at a blue (not blue green) chromis.

It depends on what "yellow-tail" damsel you have because more than one species is blue with a yellow-tail. Chrysiptera parasema is what I think is the more peaceful species.

I thought about that. I know the clown is a damsel (he reminds me every time he bites my hand as I put it in the tank :angry: ), I was just curious. I will keep an eye out for the blue chromis. I've never seen just a blue one, they're all blue/green.

hand feed your clown. It will stop her biting you. If that doesn't work swat her nose. She will get it pretty quick.

Link to blue chromis:

http://www.aboutfishonline.com/articles/bluechromis.html

Thanks for the link. As I read it I saw it said you need to have them in a group and that a solitary chromis doesn't usually survive. If I added 4-8 chromis to my 40 breeder, it would crash my tank. :( Thanks for looking out though. I guess I'll just go without a blue fish in my tank. I think I can survive. :D

Thanks for the link. As I read it I saw it said you need to have them in a group and that a solitary chromis doesn't usually survive. If I added 4-8 chromis to my 40 breeder, it would crash my tank. :( Thanks for looking out though. I guess I'll just go without a blue fish in my tank. I think I can survive. :D

Errr... No... Sorry... That was for the photograph of the fish not the advice.

They do fine by themselves.

Unfortunately they are sold many times in groups of three or more and called a 'schooling' fish. They don't actually school. They are a shoaling fish in the wild (not schooling) but since their territories on the reef tend to be quite close to each other and they are not super aggressive if one or more neighbors drifts into their territory people mistake them as schooling fish either on purpose (to sell more fish) or by ignorance.

The problem you will find with them is that they tend to be poor shippers. I believe it has to do with capture methods (Cyanide is used in some areas to catch them) and thus there is a high level of mortality in shipping. If you can find a LFS near you who can order them and keep one for you for 1-2 weeks and it is still swimming you will be fine.

They are also the least aggressive of the Chromis out there and thus can be kept in shoals of 3 or more without the usual problems you face with Chromis where over time they gang up on each other and kill each other off.

Lastly they are almost an electric blue in color that looks very nice.

Local to me they run $10 per fish and are shipped in from Florida to California.

Archived