SaltCritters.com

How to Clean 3g Deco Kit Tank w/o Scratching it?

rainmkr07

How to Clean 3g Deco Kit Tank w/o Scratching it?

I was thinking a soft bristle toothbrush would be ok? I think the mag floats are bad, because they get sand in them that scratches the acrylic easily...

is there anyway to keep a deco clean and not scratched?

Toothbrush would scratch it probably. I found that using the edge of an old plastic drivers license or credit card works well on acrylic. Just don't let it pick up sand. ;)

the tom kits are a cheap plastic that is a real pain to clean.I have yet to figure out good way.Best thing i found is old piece of blue filter floss to scrub sides

That is exactly why mine became my QT...I found it impossible to deal with...I suggest looking into a little glass or acrylic tank and then use the parts from the Deco...It's really a crappy little tank....Unfortunately....

If you have a metal five gallon bucket, you could fill it with junk, set it on fire and place the Tom tank in it. That would clean it once and for all. Just kidding. I clean my pico with a piece of glass cleaning scrubber sponge that is attatched to a pair of chopsticks via a rubber band. It works like a champ.

Current USA Bettacube is an excellent glass pico tank.

I saw one of these today, it was nice. Not sure how I'd light it / filter it though. Just an aquaclear HOB?

I also saw a 2.5g AGA for the first time. It was nice, the silicone was sloppy on the sides though, and I'm afraid I'd scratch the tank trying to clean it up w/ a razor blade.

I am considering trading the deco kit in for a pico, but, the deco is so much more stock ready (better light, better filter, and has a lid). The pico is going to cost a buttload to get up and running optimally, the light is $100, lid is $40, hob filter is $50, etc etc. :(

I just wish I could run the deco stock, and not scratch it... I've never had acrylic and everyone basically makes it sound impossible NOT to scratch??? :(

I saw one of these today, it was nice. Not sure how I'd light it / filter it though. Just an aquaclear HOB?

I also saw a 2.5g AGA for the first time. It was nice, the silicone was sloppy on the sides though, and I'm afraid I'd scratch the tank trying to clean it up w/ a razor blade.

I am considering trading the deco kit in for a pico, but, the deco is so much more stock ready (better light, better filter, and has a lid). The pico is going to cost a buttload to get up and running optimally, the light is $100, lid is $40, hob filter is $50, etc etc. :(

I just wish I could run the deco stock, and not scratch it... I've never had acrylic and everyone basically makes it sound impossible NOT to scratch??? :(

For my bettacube, I got:

-Whisper 10 Powerfilter

-50w Heater(25w is plenty)

-Desk light from lowes

-50/50 screw in bulb

Everything is relatively cheap so it really isn't that difficult.

you can setup a 5.5g

$50 for a great light @ dr fns, 23 for a good hob filter @ dr fns, 5.5 g at petco for $10

What $23 hob is that? I thought everyone went with a modded aquaclear 70? how good is a picotope or the betta cube, with just a hob power filter with no fuge mod?

AcroporaLokani
What $23 hob is that? I thought everyone went with a modded aquaclear 70? how good is a picotope or the betta cube, with just a hob power filter with no fuge mod?

I have looked at the beta cube at petsmart a few times and it looks very well built (As far as little glass boxes go). It did have nice beveled glass edges and the silicone was very neat and not sloppy.

And yes a pico can and will run just fine without a fuge. Water changes in a small tank will out do any fuge simply because you could do a weekly 25%-50% water change and take care of any problems with a gallon or two of water.

As for cleaning the acrylic I would say try just simple white filter floss, It is very soft and cheap. Just make sure no sand gets stuck in it.

I have had atom's 3 gallon deco running for almost a year. Stock lighting and I turned the filter into a fuge. I bought a rio-nano skimmer for filtration. Not great but it works. For cleaning the (plastic) I used a soft tooh brush and never had a problem. I gave up though and just let it go I view from the top. My snails do a good enough job of keeping it clean.

100_1132.jpg

A little messy . but dosn't bother me.

• 6 months later...

Archived