Cultivated Reef

Keeping SPS under 150w MH, Phoenix 14k?

Rathje70

I recently have replaced my upgraded biocube hood on my 29g with a 150w Sunpod.

I am running a 13 gallon custom built sump that houses a Tunze 9002 DOC Skimmer. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience keeping SPS with a 150w MH. I am prety confident that they will do fine as my water conditions are very pristine.

I have a milli in my tank and it is doing fine, it has colored up tremendously since I have added the sunpod. I am looking to place all of the SPS in the top half of the tank with one of my koralia ones pointing stright across the tank to hit the SPS.

I am just looking for some other opinions and wondering if anyone has had any luck with keeping SPS under such conditions.

Thanks!

I am running a 13 gallon custom built sump that houses a Tunze 9002 DOC Skimmer. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience keeping SPS with a 150w MH. I am prety confident that they will do fine as my water conditions are very pristine.

I have a milli in my tank and it is doing fine, it has colored up tremendously since I have added the sunpod. I am looking to place all of the SPS in the top half of the tank with one of my koralia ones pointing stright across the tank to hit the SPS.

I am just looking for some other opinions and wondering if anyone has had any luck with keeping SPS under such conditions.

Thanks!

That lamp will be fine. In addition to your pristine conditions, make sure you keep Alk, Ca, and Mg levels up to par. SPS can be a PITA, but they are well worth the effort IMO.

Thanks!

Your only problem will be with shades...The distance of the reflector from the surface is a bit close and your corals if large enough will produce shadows on some parts of itself...

Thanks for the quick replies, I think the SPS will do fine also.I think I am going to move the light directly above the SPS, which would be further back on the tank, since the corals in front are low light corals such as mushrooms and zoas.

What do you guys dose with? I have heard of people dosing a mixture of Alk and Calcium in one daily. I would be more than willing to do that.

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick replies, I think the SPS will do fine also.I think I am going to move the light directly above the SPS, which would be further back on the tank, since the corals in front are low light corals such as mushrooms and zoas.

What do you guys dose with? I have heard of people dosing a mixture of Alk and Calcium in one daily. I would be more than willing to do that.

Thanks!

I use B-Ionic 2-part by ESV.

That is a wonderful light for SPS, as long as it isn't too far from the corals...

Ocean's Blend 2 part....Won't use anything else....tried most of the rest...nothing else keeps my corals as happy!

Thanks!

Tropic Marine Calcium...It's a balance additive and will increase your Alkalinity at the same time but in a balance fashion with the Calcium..

Alright, I really appreciate this.

As far as other SPS requirements, I was wondering if I should put the koralia that I will have pointing at the SPS on a 15 minute interval timer, I heard that they like this. Just trying to be creative and give the SPS the best possible atmosphere.

Thanks again!!

Thanks!

I dose ESV B-Ionic, two part ... Also keep up with the water changes ...

Alright, I really appreciate this.

As far as other SPS requirements, I was wondering if I should put the koralia that I will have pointing at the SPS on a 15 minute interval timer, I heard that they like this. Just trying to be creative and give the SPS the best possible atmosphere.

Thanks again!!

The most important thing about being successful with SPS is water quality ... this is your no. 1 priority ... lighting is second to it ...

-David

Don't point the pump right at the corals, it can blow the flesh off them...I agree with the comment on water quality being the most important thing, but will go a bit more detailed...not only must it be clean of excess nutrients, but consistent levels of Ca, Alk and Mg (as well as traces) is critical...I actually feel the MOST important factor is consistency and stability....Change is inherently evil in a reef....

I am not to worried about my water quality or levels as they have been perfect for about a year now. I am looking to get rid of one of my fish to reduce the bioload and help make the water even more pristine.

Any body have SPS nano tanks that they want to show?

Thanks,

Rathje70

I am not to worried about my water quality or levels as they have been perfect for about a year now. I am looking to get rid of one of my fish to reduce the bioload and help make the water even more pristine.

Thanks,

Rathje70

Awesome ... although SPS don't mind a higher bioload ... more for them to absord ... i use to run a BC29G with mainly SPS under 150W Viper Clamp ... I also was using the Phoenix 14K great bulb for color and growth. Check out Basser1's tank ... he has some sick a$$ SPS in there ... he was TOTM June 2008 and Bluebastion's as well ... i think he was August ...

-David

I believe there a few Solanas that are SPS dominated, but I can't remember all of the user's names besides EZ's. Mine is getting there, but I still need to move some softies out but my frags are all starting to encrust nicely. It sounds like you've done your work and are ready to go. Good luck and I'm sure that you will soon find out how addicting all of the SPS varieties are. :)

As far as other SPS requirements, I was wondering if I should put the koralia that I will have pointing at the SPS on a 15 minute interval timer, I heard that they like this.

The turning on and off of any powerhead will wear it out faster so keep that in mind. :)

Basser1 and I have been talking and he has given me a lot of information. I really appreciate all the advice, any certain types of SPS that you would recommend. I am going for some rare and expensive SPS.

Good thinking on the powerhead, I do not think that I will be diong that anymore.

Thanks

Rathje70

Thanks,

Rathje70

When you get into SPS you are entering into a whole new ball game parameter-wise. Obviously the basics are still important (trite, trate, ammon, etc.), but now you will have to pay close attention to the paramaters I listed in my last post (go ahead and throw PO4, and Ph into the mix too).

If I were you I wouldn't ditch the fish to decrease the bio load. In fact, I would consider up'ing the load (if possible), and also filtration. SPS will thrive in a highly stocked tank that is fed often, but your filtration HAS TO BE ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH THE DEMAND.

When you get into SPS you are entering into a whole new ball game parameter-wise. Obviously the basics are still important (trite, trate, ammon, etc.), but now you will have to pay close attention to the paramaters I listed in my last post (go ahead and throw PO4, and Ph into the mix too).

If I were you I wouldn't ditch the fish to decrease the bio load. In fact, I would consider up'ing the load (if possible), and also filtration. SPS will thrive in a highly stocked tank that is fed often, but your filtration HAS TO BE ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH THE DEMAND.

+1 Glenn's tank is awesome, i highly suggest taking his advice :D

-David

Basser1 and I have been talking and he has given me a lot of information. I really appreciate all the advice, any certain types of SPS that you would recommend. I am going for some rare and expensive SPS.

Good thinking on the powerhead, I do not think that I will be diong that anymore.

Thanks

Rathje70

I've got quite a few frags I'm about to start unloading. Many of which are ORA's (most all of their recently released corals), or Tyrees. PM me if you're interested.

Glennr, thanks for the advice. I am not to worried about the levels, I am pretty religious about water quality and pay a close attention to those regardless if I have SPS or not.

I will take your advice and keep the fish (probably couldnt catch it anyways :P ) The refugium that I custom built for underneath has helped my tank out tremendously adding 13 gallons of volume and able to house a bigger Tunze DOC skimmer. I am looking to get some more chaeto, but have not found any yet.

Check out my thread, it will be rearranged quite a bit, but there are pictures of the fuge and such.

Open to all suggestions and comments!!

Glennr, thanks for the advice. I am not to worried about the levels, I am pretty religious about water quality and pay a close attention to those regardless if I have SPS or not.

I will take your advice and keep the fish (probably couldnt catch it anyways :P ) The refugium that I custom built for underneath has helped my tank out tremendously adding 13 gallons of volume and able to house a bigger Tunze DOC skimmer. I am looking to get some more chaeto, but have not found any yet.

Check out my thread, it will be rearranged quite a bit, but there are pictures of the fuge and such.

Open to all suggestions and comments!!

Just a little FYI, if the chaeto in your fuge is growing well, your nutrient level is too high.

Thats the thing, it is not hardly growing. Very slow and steady. I am thinking of purchasing more, good idea?

That's good!! I wouldn't buy any more.

I probably only have two handfuls in the fuge and it seems like there is nothing in there. You may know, I have about an inch of refugium mineral mud in the bottom, I am considering removing it, it seems to make the chaeto very dirty. The mud is not doing anything because I decided to not keep mangroves. Should I get rid of it to clean things up a bit?

Chaeto takes time. I just cut mines in 1/2 after just 2 months. Slow or not, my diatoms, algae has basically went away. My fish hunt the pods more and I feed only once a day.

Hows the light w/ this bulb, heard good things about it years back.

I have a generic one, 150 DE HQI, and plan on changing bulbs down the road to more crips 14k range.

Love the shimmer.

Windcloud, I absolutely love the Phoenix bulb, my mind will never be changed. I have already seen a great improvement in growth in my corals and the colors really pop!!!

Rathje70

Archived