Cultivated Reef

Emperor 280 as fuge?

FishOnTheBrainCoral

FishOnTheBrainCoral

Ok so I have herd of people turning AC70's and 100's into a fuge, but I dont have one of those.... I have an extra Emperor 280 laying around. Big chamber but too much flow? I keep hearing Cheato likes a good bit of flow but, I also hear keep the fuge moving slow. Will my pods like or dislike this much flow? And If it is way too much should I trim the impeller down evenly all around or take out full blade on opisite sides? lots of questions I know.......thanks ahead of time

You can make a fuge out of it. I'd leave it how it is and not chop up the impeller, the flow will decrease over time. I'm not sure about the pods but I think they can handle it.

If it has a bio-wheel take it out if you haven't already.

You can make a fuge out of it. I'd leave it how it is and not chop up the impeller, the flow will decrease over time. I'm not sure about the pods but I think they can handle it.

I recall a PetSmart employee plugging the Bio Wheel filters as a selling point for Saltwater tanks... LOL

Jake, me too and I bought it so job well done on his part and every SW tank they had had one. It's on a FW tank now that's filter messed up so it worked out.

Newbie question: I have used the emp 280's on FW tanks for a few years withhout any problems. Why should you remove the bio wheel on the SW tanks?

Newbie question: I have used the emp 280's on FW tanks for a few years withhout any problems. Why should you remove the bio wheel on the SW tanks?

I've read that they can cause nitrates to go up.

FishOnTheBrainCoral

I run the bio wheels on my FW and i think they are great for bio on them,and y nitrates have never been above 10ppm with messy dempseys. but the people on NR here have informed me that the bio filter in our tanks is the sand and rocks witch is more natural. In my 72FW i might have as much rock as i have in my 28reef... There is so many more helpful critters in the rocks of salt as well to take care of plugging them up and all that so I will listen to the more qualified reffers on here

Hey Brain, I see that you want to complete a biological filter for your 280. Well, fortunately I made it a small project of mine just a couple weeks prior to your post and have seen some better results from it's original function. I can take pics tomorrow and load up the diagrams I have for my design, but the components I took to make the transformation were cheap and easy.

Materials:

Egg Crate

Super Glue Gel

Fist size cheato

Chemi-Pure or Pure-Elite. I recommend Elite^^

Your grey filter media cartridge

Filter floss

More to come tomorrow when I wake up =p

FishOnTheBrainCoral
Hey Brain, I see that you want to complete a biological filter for your 280. Well, fortunately I made it a small project of mine just a couple weeks prior to your post and have seen some better results from it's original function. I can take pics tomorrow and load up the diagrams I have for my design, but the components I took to make the transformation were cheap and easy.

Materials:

Egg Crate

Super Glue Gel

Fist size cheato

Chemi-Pure or Pure-Elite. I recommend Elite^^

Your grey filter media cartridge

Filter floss

More to come tomorrow when I wake up =p

That would be cool this 280 idea is kind of a temp thing until I get my sump done which I am also searching for ideas... I am cutting down my old ten. Taking about two inches in length off to get it to fit. Then its off to the drawling board..

Cant wait to see the pics thanks a ton...

I can find replacment carbon pads for the 280 , but where can you find a extra empty media container that fits the 280?

I ask bc I am wondering what I can do with my 280 to make it perform better.

Maybe jam abunch of Chaeto in one of the empty cartridges. Wouldn't get much light though.

FishOnTheBrainCoral

right now I just have the media tray out all together and have the it about 3/4 full of chaeto... but I have a 150 that I use for filter floss/carbon when needed.

I'm kind of in the same situation.

I am putting together my first tank , and for now , I don't have enough cash to start off with a sump.

What I do have , is 4 old power filters , given to me by friends. One emporer 280 , and 3 others.

Until I can get the sump/fuge added I'll be using some or all of these power filters , filled with who knows what , to help filtration.

FishOnTheBrainCoral

throw that cascade on there for filter floss and carbon and use the 280 for a fuge.... the only thing i dont know is if the pods will handle that much current Im going to be searching to find out. if not i might trim a bit off the impeller to slow it a little

The cascade is the blue one?

I already purchased 4 replacement carbon filters for the emporer. I'll use those first. I'll run one carbon filter and maybe the gray tray full of floss.

FishOnTheBrainCoral
The cascade is the blue one?

I already purchased 4 replacement carbon filters for the emporer. I'll use those first. I'll run one carbon filter and maybe the gray tray full of floss.

Yeah I belive the cascade is the blue one... I want to say a 150 comparing the size to the 280 in the pic... I have one on my 10FW its been a great filter. super quiet too!

How large of a tank are you putting this together for? Is it for your 28 reef?

Mine is gonna be a 45.

I've never turned a power filter into a fuge , but I keep thinking the fuge is so small it really isn't going to make a difference.

Will filling one of these power filters with live rock rubble or live sand , really make a difference? I would think floss or carbon would be a better option.

FishOnTheBrainCoral

yeah its on my 28 if you look at the pics of the old setup I had for the fuge it was not much bigger then the 280, I was able to put all the cheato in it from the other.. but the old setup I had wasnt running for two days and I then had diatoms for a week, and I have some hair algea.... I dont know if it was the cause 100% but im sold on them even if they are small. There are a couple other threads were people told me I dont need the filter really at all with a fuge and lots of flow. Im not quite brave enough to try that. Maybe its cause Im used to FW chiclid tanks where there is no such thing as to much filter... :D

as far as the live sand I have been told here and other places, unless unless you plan to have it deep like 6-10+inches dont even bother.... also makes sence I think. And my thought on the rock is might as well have it in the display or not at all. Then it picked at by fish/CUC so it dosnt collect crap. (like bio-balls)

but I have been doing salt for like 6 mo so take what I say lightly....but i have been in FW for a few years. (which means almost nothing here) :D

I'd like to hear from someone that tried either live rock or sand and see what kind of results they had.

I wanna know if it really makes any kind of difference , especially when compared to other things that could be put in the power filters like the chaeto , floss or carbon.

Do I have to use "aquarium" type floss? or can i get some type of poly-fil from a local hobby store and use that?

Archived