Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cured or uncured?

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist

I'm going to have my 20L upgrade tank ready soon, and I'm going to let the tank cycle on its own before adding the existing tank materials into it. The questions are:

If I buy the LR online rather from the LFS (which PhishyBusiness.com is local but sells for $7/lb) and have the option of getting uncured, is it worth it to take the time to cure it myself?

By curing it myself, will I experience less overall die off compared to having someone else cure and then ship, and then re-cure? With this, I'm hoping to get more lifeforms into the tank with my picking and choosing what to get rid of in the case of any bad hitchhikers.

Other thoughts on the wisdom of the endeavor of buying uncured LR online?

If you want more hitchhikers go with the LFS. $7/lb? hell yea! Good thing you don't live where I do it's $11-$13 per pound!

At a LFS you get to pick what you want, with online you get what they want you to have. I bought online rock and all of it is in a DRY rubbermaid container except for a 2lb piece (out of 45), when it got to me it was rubble and had FROST inside the bag.....wth?

To me picking it out makes all the difference.....oh yeah go with uncured for more hitchhikers.

If you want more hitchhikers go with the LFS. $7/lb? hell yea! Good thing you don't live where I do it's $11-$13 per pound!

At a LFS you get to pick what you want, with online you get what they want you to have. I bought online rock and all of it is in a DRY rubbermaid container except for a 2lb piece (out of 45), when it got to me it was rubble and had FROST inside the bag.....wth?

To me picking it out makes all the difference.....oh yeah go with uncured for more hitchhikers.

Personally, I would go with dry rock. Its cheaper and you won't be faced with the problems of unwanted hitchhikers. if you want other organisms/etc its usually best to get those from other reefers that will sell you some rubble rock or a piece from their tank. Its a PITA when you have an unwanted specimen in your tank that will cause you to tear it apart just to get it out. This is just my .02

Archived