Cultivated Reef

3g Picotope vs. 5.5g All-In-One

rainmkr07

3g Picotope vs. 5.5g AGA All-In-One  

21 members have voted

1. 1. 3g Picotope or 5.5g AGA All-In-One

• 3g Picotope
    • 5.5g AGA All-In-One

Here is the a poll, to help me decide which to get for xmas :) A modded picotope (with better light and aquaclear 70 modded into a fuge) versus an AGA 5.5g tank, modded to include a fuge, and with T5 lighting.

Modded Picotope:

picotopeglasslid01es6.jpg

Modded Picotope on a desk:

picoday4nw3.jpg

The build thread for a Modded Pictope:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...158683&st=0

5.5g AIO:

PicoMay10_08a.jpg

The 5.5g AIO on a desk:

NanoJun23_08d.jpg

The build thread for the 5.5g AIO:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132714

Cost comparison:

3g Picotope $45; 36w 12" Dual Satellite $90; Custom Glass Top $5; AC70 modded $35; Heater $15 = Approx $190.

5.5g AGA tank $15; Acrylic + Silicone $20; Custom Glass Top $5; T5 18" Light $50; Maxi Jet 400 $15; Black Spray Paint $5; Heater $15 = Approx $125.

For keeping just basic saltwater reef corals, zoos, rics, mushrooms, etc. at your office, which would you go with, and why?

5.5:

more water volume

overall looks sleeker (although light looks just a tad long, which subtracts points)

closed top so it wont evaporate as much over a long weekend

the 5.5 lets you get a little more creative with it. the 3g lets you be creative too but the 5.5 does more so. that and yes there is more volume which also means more room for coral growth.

edit: and everyone does EXACTLY the same thing with the 3g. same light, same fuge. same mods to fuge, SAME EVERYTHING. there are only a select few people who have changed it up a bit. like the guy with the 20L as a sump.

and according to your price list its going to be cheaper to put together too.

I'm going with the masses on this one: The 5.5 is awesome and with the way the sump/fuge is incorporated is tastefully done.

Don't know if you were going for this, but the aquascaping is almost zen-like as well. hmm...

I pick both! I know it wasn't an option but they are both awesome! I'm doing a 10g like Sandeeps but I'm also going to set up a picotope once the 10g is up and running.

I voted pico on this one. I guess it all depends on if the aquarium will go on your desk or not. The pics were of tanks on desks, so I would never put that "thing" (5.5) on a desk. It LOOKS like a modded tank that has been forced to be displayed in an area that you would normall not display it. The pico is made for the job. So much cleaner and better looking.

I agree with FREDDY, The PICO 3 gal looks sleeker, nicer for a desktop office enviroment. the 5.5 custom is awesome, and he did a great job with that but not the right look for office.

I have actually been looking around the PICO scene for a good tank and I have come across one that nobody here has mentioned. At least no posts that I have come across. Does anyone know anything about the 7gal Mini Bow Tank from AquaBuys.com

7G Mini Bow Nano Reef Starter Kit 2.0

It seems like a nice tank with the best stock lighting available on these small tanks. Also includes alot of things (accessories) that I need since I have nothing at all and have been out of the Aquarium hobby for 15 years now. Ever since hurricane Andrew came to S. Fla and I lost everything on 4 tanks that I had at the time.

Any info will be appreciated B)

the 5.5 lets you get a little more creative with it. the 3g lets you be creative too but the 5.5 does more so. that and yes there is more volume which also means more room for coral growth.

edit: and everyone does EXACTLY the same thing with the 3g. same light, same fuge. same mods to fuge, SAME EVERYTHING. there are only a select few people who have changed it up a bit. like the guy with the 20L as a sump.

and according to your price list its going to be cheaper to put together too.

actually pics of my set up will be up shortly. and now cost can be cut down if you do hat im doing. diy halide (total cost $100 or less), and a rio nano skimmer $15 +shipping from premium aquatics. I like the 3 gallon better.

The 5.5g measures 16x8x10

you don't think that's too big for an office?

No, not particularly. I currently have a 15g in my home office (where I work all of the time) & years ago when I was in and actual "office" office, I had a 29g and later a 46g.

I'm obviously bias towards the Picotope but the 5.5 AGA could be a nice option if you can get it to look that nice. Also the reason why "everyone does EXACTLY the same thing" with the Picotope is because there's a tried and true formula that works. Even then, I find that people usually add their own personal touches to the basic setup so that no two Picotope setups are exactly the same—painted back vs. transparent, added flow vs. reduced flow, open top vs. glass lid—the possibilites are endless depending on what suits you. With that, it all comes down to personal taste and how much work you're willing to take on. ;)

5.5g only if you are skillful enough to make it look nice. I have seen a lot of people try to do similar things and it just looks like crap due to poor craftsmanship with the silicone and whatnot. If you aren't as skilled with acrylics, painting, or cutting, you should probably go for the Picotope because the end result will look much better.

Archived