Pod Your Reef

Homemade rocks

greatrock

I have been making my own rock for about a year.  This is my recipe with an abnormal twist that makes super rock like no other that I have seen.  I use 1part cement (portland) 3parts sand (any kind) and this is the kicker 2parts styrofoam peanuts that I break up into 1/4 chunks and smaller with my hands by pinching it between my finger inside a walmart bag so that I don't loose my work ( I have done it in a blender but it gets all staticy and to fine)  Then I mix to a semi thick consistancy and mold to shape.   This is the hard part .....Let it dry for two - four days or  just hard enough so it won't break while handling. Now comes the fun part (at least around my house) My whole family will start to pick at the rocks with nut picks (like you use at Christmas time ) to get the styro out what happens is that you make holes and tunnels that go into and through the rock  for all the little critters to live in. It is alot of work but, great fun and produces great rocks,it is also messy I use an old bath towel under the rock and shake it out often as well as rinse off the rock.  Another benifit to this is that the rock is much more porous and lighter and will cure faster.  I will also at molding time make hollows in the rock out of water soluable styro that pass through the rock or will even make cavities in the center that will be tapped into at picking time.   After a few days I will use a hose with a nozzle to spray parts of the styro out  if the rock has set up a little more.  You do however need to start the whole picking process as soon as you can and if you use to much cement it will be to hard to pick. Yes you will loose some rocks do to breakage in the picking process but then you've got chunks to graft all your frags onto. You never quite  know what your piece will turn out like, but I have never had a failure once I got the recipe down. Be patient the end is worth it!!!!!  If you have any ? you can email me at greatrock@dcr.net

(Edited by greatrock at 11:21 pm on Oct. 20, 2001)

(Edited by greatrock at 11:28 pm on Oct. 20, 2001)

The other causes you to have more of a "holy" rock therefore more suface area  for coralline and in the digging out process you get more tunnel effect sometimes enough for fish to swim through.   I also use the biodegradable

styrofoam  to make cavities in the center and larger trails though the rock while forming or molding them.

I will try to get a picture out there somehow for you to see  But no promises......

(Edited by greatrock at 2:08 pm on Oct. 22, 2001)

• 1 month later...

I am amazed at peoples unwillingness to accept somethingat face value without having to throw in thier untested 2 cents worth.  If you think that something will work try it yourself and lets compare.  Mine works and looks great!!!!!!

I didn't ask  for it............I just wrote the original thread for those that were having problems or questions with homemade rocks sheeeeeesh....

• 1 month later...

Archived