SaltCritters.com

Zoanthids won't open :(

johnnalei

I just started to stock my 14g biocube with corals about 2 weeks ago. I got a small colony of zoanthids (couple dozen polyps) and some green star coral. A few days ago my zoas started closing and now they are all closed. The green star coral looks healthy, as do my fish, hermit crabs, snails, and shrimp. My water parameters are nitrate/nitrite/ammonia all 0, Ph 8.0, alk 2.5 meq/l, calcium 500 mg/l. Salinity is 1.023 and temp is about 78. I tried putting it in fresh water for a couple minutes, but all the polyps are still closed tight. Has this ever happened to anyone? What can I do? Are they dying? Thanks!

I just started to stock my 14g biocube with corals about 2 weeks ago. I got a small colony of zoanthids (couple dozen polyps) and some green star coral. A few days ago my zoas started closing and now they are all closed. The green star coral looks healthy, as do my fish, hermit crabs, snails, and shrimp. My water parameters are nitrate/nitrite/ammonia all 0, Ph 8.0, alk 2.5 meq/l, calcium 500 mg/l. Salinity is 1.023 and temp is about 78. I tried putting it in fresh water for a couple minutes, but all the polyps are still closed tight. Has this ever happened to anyone? What can I do? Are they dying? Thanks!

Zoas tend to do that sometimes. The freshwater dip may have stressed them a little more, so it might be awhile before they open. Do they look healthy/plump though closed? Any bronw on them? any white spots?

When you dipped them in FW did you just set them in there or did you swish them around? If you didnt swish them around pretty hard, I would dip them again and swish them around for a minute or two pretty hard. If its nudis you should knock them loose.

Just keep an eye on them, if they start "melting" away thats when youre losing them.

They don't seem to have any white or brown spots. I can't tell if they would be considered "plump." Here's a pic. I shook it when it was in the water and a few little critters came off, but that's it. How long could it be until they open? Thoughts on the photo?

post-40244-1229627990_thumb.jpg

Zoas are pretty versatile in the spot you put them, you could try moving them. I would keep a close eye for a parasite such as a zoa eatting nudi. Happened to me. :angry:

happened to me and a few days later they started looking worst and worst. kept trying to FW dip them, but nothing. Started to get white cover so I cut those parts off, and more and more they shrunk and looked worst. I think it was a fungus. I eventually threw them out because it was a lost cause.

People have recommened Furan2 dip and Iodine. Should do it before it's to late and you lose all of it

The Propagator

Do a 1 -2 minute max Fresh water dip before you do iodine, or furan2.

Be sure to keep an eye on them for blisters when your dipping them and squirt water all over them vigorously with a turkey baster to help get any nasty critters off.

But he's already done a FW dip.

Other than the fact that it looks like there might be a bit of detritus on them, they don't seem too bad.

They look nice and plump, which is good.

I'm wondering if your salinity might have something to do with it.

Most ppl keep their salinity closer to 1.025.

1.023 is acceptable, but if they came from a tank with a higher salinity, it might take them a few days to adjust and open.

The Propagator

Oh crap ! I don't know how I missed that LOL!!!

Do they have plenty of current ?

I wouldnt think a change of salinity from something like 025 - 023 would keep them closed up.

I would think if they came from under brighter lighting and placed under much lesser they would though.

I get that all the time from buyers with low watt t5's and pc's. Mine are all under halides and high watt t5's when they get them they stay locked up tight on and off for a week or so some times until they realize the lights are on LOL!

Other then current, pests, and lights I got nothing if your water parameters are in check.

As in, deformed polyps? What is that an indication of?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about actual blisters.

I've seen it myself, and that's exactly what it looks like.

Some Palys are much more sensitive to FW dips (RPE is one), and will develop what looks exactly like translucent blisters on their stalks if left in a FW dip for more than a minute.

The current is good and everything was fine with them for a couple of weeks in my tank w/the lighting and salinity as it is now. I stopped by my LFS and picked up some iodine and tried that. I guess we'll see. It looks like a couple fo small polyps might be opening. Thanks for all the advice!

• 1 year later...

Archived