Soft Cycle Questions

morinry

Hello everyone I am currently running my first salt tank which is a 3g picotope. Its only been running for something like over a week and I have Some nassarius snails and a camel shrimp. The ammonia has been going of the charts lately which I have been complementing with water changes, almost daily. I understand this proccess is called a "soft cycle" which will take longer to be stable. How long do you usualy have to go on with nearly daily water changes until the cycle usualy starts to work? Im kinda just looking for some general knowledge on how this whole thing works.

Unless those snails and that camel shrimp were hitchhikers, I'd take them back to the LFS until you cycle. You're going to kill them with the ammonia.

if its still cycling why do you have the snails and shrimp in your tank, and im pretty sure the camel shrimp tends to nip at corals, so be aware of that.

Ya I heard about that with camels I think ill eventauly put a couple sexy shrimp in there eventualy and bring the camel into the non reef tank at my work. The lady where I got the nassarius from seemed to think theyd be good cleaners in there for the duration of the cycle as they are hardy as long as I dont let ammonia get out of control. I kinda wish I didnt because im spending alota money on salt with all these water changes!

It would be awful if the cat accidentally caught fire and you had to put the fire out with a baseball bat.

hahaaha i love this quote that is hilarious, good one holdor

welcome to NR

There is no way to know when the soft cycle will end. You have to keep testing and doing the water changes to try and prevent the live stock from dying or bring the live stock back to the store and then test till the cycle is complete. Either way it all about testing.

welcome to NR

There is no way to know when the soft cycle will end. You have to keep testing and doing the water changes to try and prevent the live stock from dying or bring the live stock back to the store and then test till the cycle is complete. Either way it all about testing.

Thank you!!:)

Definitely take the livestock out of the tank...if the ammonia doesn't kill the snails and shrimp, a high nitrate level probably will. Cycling a tank "soft" or not shouldn't be done with livestock in the tank IMO. However, some people will put a couple of "cheap" fish in the tank to speed up the process, which I disagree with. If you have the proper amount of liverock, it will take care of itself. My tank took a good 5 weeks to cycle...I then put fish in and waited another month or two before adding any corals. I tested my water every other day for a week to get a good idea of how the params of my water were going to be before I put anything in the tank. The hardest thing about this hobby/addiction is to have patience when doing things...adding a bunch of stuff too quickly is asking for problems...Good Luck.

Archived