Innovative Marine Aquariums

2xgrandchampion's[28galNanoCube]

2xgrandchampion

2xgrandchampion

Hello everyone i've finally joined the saltwater reef hobby, i'm not totally new to fish keeping but this will definitely be my first SALT water setup. Over the past three months i've been researching this site an several others to find out and make sure i did everything possible to have a successful start into this hobby an be as careful as possible starting out. I wanna thank everyone who has posted usefull information here and pictures as well because they have helped me out alot, now here's my new set up, all suggestions and recommendations are welcome. Pics are coming soon they aren't the best but they are ok until i get a new camera hopefully for christmas.

28 Gal JBJ Nano HQI from the good DRS

Koralia 1

Refractometer

20lbs Arag-live Sand Fiji Pink

About 20lbs give or take Fully Cured Live Rock Covered in Coraline from my Good Friend at the LFS

RI/DO unit off Ebay

Marin Sea Salt

100w Heater

And Last But Definitely Not Least About 5 or 6 Mushroom that my good Friend Didnt wanna remove

Other than that a few snail, pods, feather dusters, and 2 aips

API Saltwate Master Test Kit

2xgrandchampion

Oh well since no one else will post i might as well :) Diatoms are finally arriving and actually keeping my hitchhikers pretty busy. :D Parameters are 0 ammonia,nitrite,nitrate

2xgrandchampion
HI

tank looks good plenty of life on the LR good luck with your new tank hope to see some more pics soon B)

Thanks johnnty more pics coming im going to add a few more LR soon, pics shrtly after...

nice tank i hope brings joy to your life =]. what kind of corals you planning to put in there? =]

Thanks fishstick, not sure which corals i will be adding but it will be very colorful

2xgrandchampion
I would take that piece of rock out now, while you can and kill that aptisa. lemon juice, some kalk paste or joe's juice.

Actually thats one of three on two different rocks, i plan on adding a few more rock today and i will try to rid the critters then, dont have immediate access to anything but lemon juice so i'll try that.

Haha, the set-up I recently purchased is pretty much identical to yours (except I will be getting the nanotuners retro actinics kit). How do you like the koralia 1? I am considering doing that or the koralia nano, can't decide which would be better (too much flow is as bad as too little flow). Also, anything during your set-up that you wish you did/didn't do or did it go fairly smoothly? I am setting mine up next week when I get all my supplies in.

Your setup looks awesome though, that is some great looking LR you have there.

2xgrandchampion
Haha, the set-up I recently purchased is pretty much identical to yours (except I will be getting the nanotuners retro actinics kit). How do you like the koralia 1? I am considering doing that or the koralia nano, can't decide which would be better (too much flow is as bad as too little flow). Also, anything during your set-up that you wish you did/didn't do or did it go fairly smoothly? I am setting mine up next week when I get all my supplies in.

Your setup looks awesome though, that is some great looking LR you have there.

The koralia is pretty good and I think its all you need flow wise for this set up the only thing I would've done different is purchase rock without the aipstsia on it, keep in mind I'm a new guy here and this is just my opinion.

Meh, Aiptasia isn't nearly as much as a pain as people lead on.. As long as you catch it early and treat it properly, you shouldn't have as much of an issue. I would be more worried about nuisance algae and smaller critters like flatworms which are much more difficult to find and eliminate. No matter how hard you try, you WILL eventually have to face Aiptasia, even if it isn't visually apparent on your LR. But yeah, its best to kill it while your tank is fresh and you still have the ability to remove LR and treat it properly.

2xgrandchampion
Meh, Aiptasia isn't nearly as much as a pain as people lead on.. As long as you catch it early and treat it properly, you shouldn't have as much of an issue. I would be more worried about nuisance algae and smaller critters like flatworms which are much more difficult to find and eliminate. No matter how hard you try, you WILL eventually have to face Aiptasia, even if it isn't visually apparent on your LR. But yeah, its best to kill it while your tank is fresh and you still have the ability to remove LR and treat it properly.

Actually you're right i only have a few mushroom in right now that came on the LR and the aipstisia isn't causing any problems and the mushroom are as happy as can be under the halides. Really im just going on others word as to how bad they really are, my good friend at the LFS had a major outbreak of them in one of his tanks and they've taken over completely :o

2xgrandchampion

Ok i'm going on two weeks in and my diatom outbreak is going pretty smooth B) , thinking about waitin at least one more week on the cuc so there will be plenty food for the guys, any OPINIONS on this will be greatly appreciated also on the cuc selection? Thanks in Advance.... Oh yeah added about 9 or 10 more lbs LR pics coming later today, and nuked 2 aipstisia :D

Actually you're right i only have a few mushroom in right now that came on the LR and the aipstisia isn't causing any problems and the mushroom are as happy as can be under the halides. Really im just going on others word as to how bad they really are, my good friend at the LFS had a major outbreak of them in one of his tanks and they've taken over completely :o

I had aipstisia in my tank...I went out and bought Joes juice...but really didn't wanna add it to my tank...I bought one of little cleaners shrimps and it was gone in 2 days!!! Joes juice is still unopened!

2xgrandchampion

Ok guys i'm 23 days in my cycle, i added about 7 snail 2 emaralds and a blue leg hermit. This is my 3rd aquascape and it will probably change several more times, enjoy the pics.

P1020102.jpg

P1020103.jpg

More Rock to come i think im about ten pounds shy of my mark for good filtration

2xgrandchampion
Hey. I'm a little confused. You are adding new live rock after your tank has cycled? Won't this generate another cycle?

Actually my tank never really had a major cycle, the live rock came from a well established tank, i wont be adding NEW rock it will be more fully cured rock like before plus im patient so if it does decide it wants to cycle again then thats finr theres nothing in right now but hitchhikers B)

• 3 weeks later...
Reeflover1981

I have a quick question... I'm looking to buy the 28g HQI model so I can maintain SPS corals and perhaps a clam. How have your temperatures been thus far? I've dealt with much larger tanks in the past, and HQI lighting has proven to be the most costly thing I've chosen to undertake. I've found it hard to dissipate heat even on relatively large tanks, with adjustable mounting. I ended up resorting to a chiller. Based on what I saw on the website, the cooling system, at least in theory, seems pretty decent. I don't want to spend an extra 400 dollars if I don't have to, so your input will be useful. Thanks.

I have a quick question... I'm looking to buy the 28g HQI model so I can maintain SPS corals and perhaps a clam. How have your temperatures been thus far? I've dealt with much larger tanks in the past, and HQI lighting has proven to be the most costly thing I've chosen to undertake. I've found it hard to dissipate heat even on relatively large tanks, with adjustable mounting. I ended up resorting to a chiller. Based on what I saw on the website, the cooling system, at least in theory, seems pretty decent. I don't want to spend an extra 400 dollars if I don't have to, so your input will be useful. Thanks.

I have this same setup and heat became an issue in the summer but easy fix:

buy the double azoo fan and clip it on the back and poit it at the open chambers..

viola.. not heat problem anymore.

Reeflover1981
I have this same setup and heat became an issue in the summer but easy fix:

buy the double azoo fan and clip it on the back and poit it at the open chambers..

viola.. not heat problem anymore.

Thanks so much for your input! I'll have it ordered tonight.

Archived