Cultivated Reef

3Gallon Picotope

freddy4130

Hey guys. I figured I would post up my pico. Thanks for all the knowledge on this site. I have a 3 gallon picotope. The filter has been upgraded to an AC 50 so I could put my heater 25 watt Hydor Theo in the back. Light is stock for the moment. WIll replace that joker ASAP with the Current dual setup a-la El Fabuloso. His tank is the bomb snizzits and I hope to achieve his level of greatness one day.

It was a few weeks from when I first set up the little baby until I got an emerald, a hermit and a sexy. Sexy is soooo cool. Need more but I obviously impulse bought him at $20 at the LFS. I am still recovering. I plan on doing only softies much like many of my pico bretheren. I am luck to have a few reefers here in town with some solid large tanks from which to scavenge. I may be picking up some Blue shrooms today. Who knows?

For now it is just the LR and the crabs and shrimp. That piece of LR on the top has a mess of junk on it. Anyone who knows, please tell. Looks like some typoe of chicken skin-ish type of remnant of a coral? Can't tell. The pics are not the best becuase photobucket re formats them when you email them in. Then there is some crazy little finger looking things growinf from the underside and up to the light. They seem to me almost clear? Loo for yourselves.

post-40451-1229537324_thumb.jpg

post-40451-1229537337_thumb.jpg

:blush:

The tank looks good, should make a nice home for some sexies! How much rock do you have in there? The Current Dual Satellite won't disappoint. In the meantime, what you have will work for now. Great job!

p.s. peel off the Picotope label. kthx. :happy:

LOL. I know bro. I did. I also hacked that long freaking intake tube. I had no sharp razors for a minute. Where do you live in Vegas? I had a couple houses there for a minute but sold them right in time, LOL. I lived at Centennial and Lamb and worked at Desert VW. What a great city. I miss it. Back in Alabama now. We also had a house off of Vegas Blvd. about three miles South of Mandalay. Little rental that was new.

I have about 3.5 lbs of LR in the tank now. I figured I would end up with more when I get some coral already attached. I almost bought a colony of zoas that were on about a pound. So I feel like I have some room when/since I'll need it. Don't want to have to rescape evertime I get new stuff you know. Your tank is funky fresh.

That's a perfect amount of live rock. It looks like you have less which is why I asked and you're right, you'll be adding more rocks once you start adding some corals in there.

I've lived all over the valley. I grew up on the west side (Valley View/Alta area) and lived in Green Valley for some time. Nowadays I'm on Las Vegas Blvd. and St. Rose, probably not far from where you use to live. Too bad you're not in Vegas anymore, I've got some nice frags I need to weed out.

Yeah, no biggie. The possibility of moving back is ever increasing. My wife is a Cali born Vietnamese chick and the lack of "culture" in Alabama has her longing for Vegas again LOL. Maybe in a few more years once this housing market settles.

Just scored some GSP and some Xenia. Pretty decent stuff for a total of $20. It'll give the little tank some movement at least. And something to watch grow relatively quickly.

Yeah cuz Vegas is a big "cultural" center, right? :lol: The housing market is just as bad out here right now.

That's a good steal for GSP and Xenia. Be careful though, they'll take over that tank in no time!

HAHAHA. I know Vegas is no Mecca of culture but try telling a Vietnamese woman anything LOL. And yes, we are in Atlanta all the time. Who else in Alabama has to drive to Atlanta for groceries? Anyone? Nope. I didn't think so, LOL. When I said wait till the housing market settles it was code for "wait until I am no longer upside down in my current home". I know full well what happened in Vegas with homes. I bought two thinking I would be the next Donald Trump haha. I almost got burned. I kind of saw it coming and got out within a year of buying.

On the topic of Xenia, I have seen it grow all over the place. Mine is on a small shell. Will it spread across the sand or stay on the shell? If it will stay, I may be fine to put it in that back corner and let it get taller without spreading. Of course my luck is aweful.

That's good that you got out on time. I think everyone saw it coming but they didn't expect it to hit this hard. I know a lot of people who are in foreclosure right now.

Anyway, the GSP should be easy to contain. Keep it on the sand and away from rocks. Xenias are a little tricky cuz they'll find ways to move. Basically they can attach to anything they can touch. Or they'll detach altogether and move somewhere else. I use to have mine growing on the back glass where it's easier to remove them when they got out of control but of course as Xenias go, they have a mind of their own and they've drifted off someplace else. <_<

Pics are soon to come. As soon as I leave the stealership that is. The little xenia is like a cute little critter. Then it turns into a large monster. I'll be careful.

Anyone have an idea what that stuff is on the top rock? Like I said, it looks like chicken skin. Ther is also some type of macro on it and some little clear finger-like things growing up towards the light. Maybe. Or something. WTF?

The GSP and Xenia look great! That's definitely a big piece of GSP and should spread all over that rock in no time. I'm not sure what that thing that looks like chicken skin is. That's weird. :unsure:

Pic is soon to follow, but the GSP was opening up this morning. It is the variety with bright green heads and brown fingers? Not up on my GSP nomenclature, haha. Either way, I will post in a minute. I am on the work PC and have to email them to myself.

Darn. It was closed again when I got home. What kind of light cycle should I be on if I only have the stock light? Can I have my lights on at night and off during the day? I'll never get to see this thing working like I do.

Darn. It was closed again when I got home. What kind of light cycle should I be on if I only have the stock light? Can I have my lights on at night and off during the day? I'll never get to see this thing working like I do.

You can set your photoperiod to whatever suits your schedule as long as the room is dark enough at "night." I have mine set from noon to midnight so I can enjoy them at night. :happy:

Noon to midnight sounds like a plan. I need to get a timer. I'll also have to score some sort of decorative box to sit beside the little pico to house all the power strip/plugs/timer. The only condition of getting that thing placed where it is was that it not be cluttered with gear.

My wife wants a fish. WTF? I don't really want a fish. But. If she really wants one, which is OK for this tank with no top? I have read a million different opinions and cannot come to a conclusion. Do Catalina gobies jump?

Archived