Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

UWWMatt's 25G Journal

uwwmatt

Well after my tank disaster yesterday things have finally started settle down. It looks like my clam has made a full recovery.

IMG_5971.jpg

I have seen both my sexy shrimp and porcelain crab, but I have not seen my bumblebee shrimp or pom pom crab.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thur May 7th:

My tank is still sitting on the floor in my living room, but I have decided to use this time to get a few things done. Today I ordered a bunch of waterproof sound/vibration muffling foam. I am going to fit the entire interior of the cabinet with the foam.

All this for $11 (scraps from ebay).

2) Black Volara Foam 2LB- 13" x 120” x 3/8"

1) White Volara Foam 2LB- 58" x 55” x 1/4"

1) White Volara Foam 2LB- 65" x 58” x 1/4"

I also finally got around to painting my return plumbing (PVC) black so that it is not such an eyesore in the tank. I also painted my ATO reservoir (5G salt bucket) black to match the stand. In case anyone is interested, I used Krylon fusion spray paint.

My tank sits in the corner of the room, so I am planning to make a waterproof platform that fits snuggly against the wall for my stand to sit on. This should keep any stray water from messing with the carpet.

I also want to install a fan in cabinet and find a better way to arrange all the power cords.

Sometime in the next few days I will be purchasing a new 10G tank and the glass baffles so I can get my sump running again.

uwwmatt sorry to hear what happened

hope everything get better

Thanks

ever find the bumblebee shrimp or pom-pom crab?

Not yet, but I haven't really had the chance to look very hard.

Needreefunds

:o Wow, sorry to see this matt.

It looks as though you did a wonderful job in emergency mode.

I hope all works out for you with minimal, if any, losses.

Best of luck bringing this sweet tank back to the beauty it was before "disaster"

Hang in there.

Any progress on the repairs? This is a gorgeous tank, and I'd hate to see it in any disrepair!

I have been working double shifts (3pm to 7am) for the past couple days so I have not had any time to work on my tank. It is still just sitting on the floor of my living room. Hopefully on Sunday I will have some free time to try and pick up all the pieces I need to get the sump together. I am still waiting on my soundproofing material for the cabinet.

Still no sign of the pom pom or bumblebee.

May 11th 2009

Today I went looking for a 10G tank to replace my cracked sump. Unfortunetly I have encountered an unforseen problem. :mellow: Things are never easy for me.

Apparently the stadard mesurments for 10G tanks has changed. My old tank is 10 1/8 inches wide including the rim. I have been to 3 pet stores and can only find 10 3/8 and 10 1/2. This probably does not sound like a big deal, but that extra 1/4 inch makes the tank to large to fit into my cabinet. I have posted in local classifieds but have yet to hear a response. My apartment is still a mess with fishtank parts all over the place, and it is driving my financee crazy.

On a positive note, I saw my bumblebee shrimp yesterday.

Have you looked into having the existing tank/sump resealed? If you do not want to attempt that, maybe your LFS would reseal the tank?

Have you looked into having the existing tank/sump resealed? If you do not want to attempt that, maybe your LFS would reseal the tank?

I think the baffles may make that difficult, plus if the seal broke in one place, whats to stop it from happening elsewhere.

I spotted my pom pom crab last night, so that means all of my inverts made it through the disaster!

May 13th 2009

I got the sound proofing material,

2-9.jpg

and I added it to the ridiculous mess that is my apartment. It will all be clean by Friday.

1-11.jpg

I got to business sound/vibration proofing the cabinet. The buzzing noise was starting to bother me so this should take care of it.

3-7.jpg

4-4.jpg

I was unable to find a 10G tank with the right dimensions to fit into my stand. Apparently my old sump was the only 10G tank that was 10 1/8 inch wide. Anyway, I designed a completely new sump set up which required some modification of my stand. The internal design of the sump is also completely new. The overflow leads into a small middle chamber with the sump in front and the return behind it.

5-3.jpg

6-2.jpg

I am going to have to redo my pvc plumbing, but that shouldn't be to difficult.

7-2.jpg

Tomorrow I will be moving the tank onto the stand, and cleaning up this ungodly mess. I also have a surprise that I will be revealing sometime tomorrow.

My wife would kill me if I did that to the living room. LOL. Good luck with the rest of the build/rebuild.

tubatime1010

Reading this part of the thread scares me... a lot...I have a tank on that exact stand...in a room with that carpeting and that trim/paint color...in the exact same orientation as yours...and now Im making a 10g sump...lol

I was thinking about stripping off the rim parts of the 10g so that it would fit under the stand...but now I might think twice. what baffles did you use? custom cut glass?

what baffles did you use? custom cut glass?

Glass from Ace Hardware, it only cost $8 and they cut it to size. I did

(3) 9 15/16 x 8 1/2

(1)9 15/16 x 7 1/2

My wife would kill me if I did that to the living room. LOL. Good luck with the rest of the build/rebuild.

My fiancé is not happy, and her family is coming for the weekend so I am going to spend the next two days working like a mad man.

May 14th 2009

The tank move is complete. It went smoothly and most of the corals stayed extended. Just in time too.

aa.jpg

I decided now would be the best opportunity to add more livestock to my tank because with the 2 moves in as many weeks my fish won't be as territorial.

aaa2.jpg

They do a great job shipping livestock. I purchased 5 items and I think they used 60 bags, super thick Styrofoam, heating packs, packing peanuts, and the cardboard box.

I bought 1 piece of coral and 4 items from the Diver's Den.

Just tuned in. I am glad everything is doing better. That must have been a horrendous night. I wanna see what you got. How was the shipping costs for them? I always wanted to get something from them but too scared about an added $60 for shipping.

aaron

tubatime1010

Thanks for the tip on the glass for baffles! Do you know if they will cut teeth in them too?

Good to see that you didnt give up on reefs!

May 14th update

ITS DONE!!!!!!

IMG_6064.jpg

Look what I got. Actually it gets better, I got a trio of spot gill cardinals. The third one is hiding.

IMG_6021.jpg

I got some other things I will show you tomorrow.

Just tuned in. I am glad everything is doing better. That must have been a horrendous night. I wanna see what you got. How was the shipping costs for them? I always wanted to get something from them but too scared about an added $60 for shipping.

aaron

It only cost $35 for shipping. That seems pretty standard for 1 day air mail. I was very happy with them.

Thanks for the tip on the glass for baffles! Do you know if they will cut teeth in them too?

Good to see that you didnt give up on reefs!

I don't think they would cut teeth, but you could ask.

Wow I just finished the thread what a great read. Sorry about the disaster but it looks like it worked out alright in the end.

Oh and congrats on POTM. I voted for you.

Looks like you are going to pull through.

If you ever need any help shoot me a line. I am not far away anymore. I will leave the bloody axe in my parents basement. :lol:

Your pictures inspire me to blow money on a camera, but I still don't think I could get them as clear and sharp.

oh yeah, congrats. I voted for my self. GFY

Wow I just finished the thread what a great read. Sorry about the disaster but it looks like it worked out alright in the end.

Thanks for the vote!

Looks like you are going to pull through.

If you ever need any help shoot me a line. I am not far away anymore. I will leave the bloody axe in my parents basement. :lol:

Your pictures inspire me to blow money on a camera, but I still don't think I could get them as clear and sharp.

Where in Wisconsin do you live? Have you signed up on www.madisonreef.com yet?

I just use a rebel xti you can get them used for a few hundred.

oh yeah, congrats. I voted for my self. GFY

lol

Archived