inTank Media Baskets

nudibranch eating zoas

skimmy

Say you do dip all your zoas. I am sure it would be beneficial to quarintine, but will the nudis that are left in the tank find somthing else to eat and live or will they quickly die off? If they will starve without zoanthids how long would it take?

BustytheSnowMaam
Say you do dip all your zoas. I am sure it would be beneficial to quarintine, but will the nudis that are left in the tank find somthing else to eat and live or will they quickly die off? If they will starve without zoanthids how long would it take?

In my case, I just FW dipped my zoas once and it took care of the problem. If there are no zoas to eat, the nudis left behind will die off. Nudis are specialized eaters.

• 2 weeks later...
In my case, I just FW dipped my zoas once and it took care of the problem. If there are no zoas to eat, the nudis left behind will die off. Nudis are specialized eaters.

Thanks for the reply on that

• 3 weeks later...

what do zoa eatting nudibranches look like? So of my zoas have weird dark spots on them occationally, but I can't tell if they move or not.

If I remember right they are little (red) dots on your zoas.

Red bugs are what you find on SPS - nudi's look like little black ticks. Dipping them alone isn't completely effective... you have to blot off the eggs... they form in a white "C" pattern on the zoa stalk. I dip mine in Kent Marines Tech D BEFORE they go in the tank and visually inspect them for signs of nudis. If you do spot eggs you have to blot them off. I use a paper towel.

If you are sucking them out with a turkey baster they are still in there and still laying eggs. You have to get the adults and the eggs to be completely pest free.

Red bugs are what you find on SPS

That reminds me that I need to treat my sps soon. Stupid little red bugs.

To the op, I'd help but I've been fortunate enough to never have any nudis.

So um, guys, have you bothered to check out the thread on Zoa Pests and Diseases stickied at the top of the Pest & Disease Forum????

Archived