bubble anenome help

schnags

I just picked up a bubble anenome and 2 baby clownfish on Friday. The clownfish were in the anenome already by the time I got to the car and have been that way soon. The anenome has been moving around the tank since I put it in. The problem was I came home today and the anenome was no where to be seen. Upon closer look it had crawnled under a small overhang and was stuck. i thoguht it was dead but I decided to give it a little while to see. It popped back up and looked healthy again within 20 minutes. Im not sure what I can do to keep it from repeating this. I tried to block the overhang but I'm worried its going to do this again. Thanks for the help. Oh, also any tips on feeding this and the fish. The store sold me some myosos shrimp and some type of dried shrimp and some garlic stuff. They told me to mix this up and get a turkey paster to feed the anenome and the fish would eat it to. Well, the first attempt did not seem to go to well for the anenome but the fish loved it. Thanks for the help

How old is your tank? What are your parameters? A bubble tip anemone is not something to add in a new tank.

If you just started your tank and the bta starts to deteriorate, you might want to take him back to the LFS. Tell us more about your tank. water quality/size/lighting

Based on your previous post, it might be to early for a BTA!!!! In addition, its hard in a 12gal. Try frogspawn, clowns love them and their easy to take care of.

Wait till the clowns start fighting and dancing, FUN TO WATCH!!

ParticipationTrophyWife

+1 to what Lakshwa said. I think you should return the anemone, the clowns don't need it to host. They have a very poor survival rate and need strong lighting. But in the event you keep it anyways, here's my .02:

What I did with my condy (suggested to me by plainrt who has a RBTA) is make an "anemone jail" for it. I attached a crude drawing so you could get an idea- surround it by 2 c-shaped rocks so they form a hole in the middle when you put them together, and let the foot of the anemone go down into the hole. The anemone wants to find a secure crevice for its foot as well as a place with lots of light.

The clowns may feed the anemone whatever you feed them- if you feed them some flake or pellets, they'll race across the tank and feed some to the anemone. I buy Rod's Food, and I also buy frozen salad shrimp at the grocery store since it's only $1 a bag. I drop one of those shrimp into the anemone's tentacles once a week and the rest of the time the clownfish and I feed it a mixture of everything else.

Upon closer look it had crawnled under a small overhang and was stuck. i thoguht it was dead but I decided to give it a little while to see. It popped back up and looked healthy again within 20 minutes. Im not sure what I can do to keep it from repeating this. I tried to block the overhang but I'm worried its going to do this again.

If they want to move then they will move. You cant make them stay somewhere they dont want to. If you keep it then it is something you will have to get use to.

+1 to what Lakshwa said. I think you should return the anemone, the clowns don't need it to host. They have a very poor survival rate and need strong lighting. But in the event you keep it anyways, here's my .02:

What I did with my condy (suggested to me by plainrt who has a RBTA) is make an "anemone jail" for it. I attached a crude drawing so you could get an idea- surround it by 2 c-shaped rocks so they form a hole in the middle when you put them together, and let the foot of the anemone go down into the hole. The anemone wants to find a secure crevice for its foot as well as a place with lots of light.

The clowns may feed the anemone whatever you feed them- if you feed them some flake or pellets, they'll race across the tank and feed some to the anemone. I buy Rod's Food, and I also buy frozen salad shrimp at the grocery store since it's only $1 a bag. I drop one of those shrimp into the anemone's tentacles once a week and the rest of the time the clownfish and I feed it a mixture of everything else.

That pic is just vulgar Tasha! :eek:

ParticipationTrophyWife
That pic is just vulgar Tasha! :eek:

OMG, get your minds out of the gutter, I didn't mean it to be! It was something I couldn't describe with words very well so I drew that pic rather quickly.

I might add that once they find a spot they like they'll usually stay put.

ParticipationTrophyWife
:lol:

<_<

I might add (because the pic doesn't show very well) that you put the rocks close together, so the anemone is kind of wedged in there (but not too tightly).

OMG, get your minds out of the gutter, I didn't mean it to be! It was something I couldn't describe with words very well so I drew that pic rather quickly.

I might add that once they find a spot they like they'll usually stay put.

LoL, well I guess the pic did illustrate what you were saying and that is a really good idea too.

BTA's are moving till they are happy, they do get big ...mine was at least 15" in diameter before it split, now I have 2 large RBTA's in my 75g :(

here is a pix for reference

P1200011.jpg

P1010016-12.jpg

I feed mine cubes of prime reef or mysis...every week, the more you feed the faster they grow and split

Maria

First off, we really do need to know what your parameters are and your lighting.

BTA's require moderate lighting, which is lower than most other anemones. T5 Lighting is the best for them. Depending how they were kept from the buyer, they will do fine under metal halides, but take time to adjust to the light.

The reason your's would be moving around your tank is frankly that it is not happy. Either your tank is too new, or you do not have sufficient lighting. Also, don't try to force feed your BTA. When you see it's mouth puckered up that means it is hungry and it is time for you to feed it. Mysis shrimp will be okay to feed your BTA if it is a small one, but as it gets larger you will want to switch to silversides.

They will move till they find somewhere to place foot in.This is a major reason why they move around.

Here is what i did for mine when was moving a little when first got.

will after my rbta moved few inches i figured i would make him piece of lr with hole like they like to place foot in.This will make him happier and keep me happy also.

100_0531.jpg

Him in jail....for now atleast.

100_0536.jpg

This has worked for over two months now.

recent pic......Still in same spot and happy.I like this idea cause can move rock with anemone in it to get more flow light etc....

100_0676.jpg

Thanks for the responses. It is a 12 gallon aquapod. It is not the hqi lights but I was told at the store since it is a shallow tank I should be ok. I might buy the light upgrade for the existing light in the future though. The tank has not been going long but the live rock, live sand, and even the water was out of a tank that had been going for years. I had the water tested every 2 or 3 days for about 2 weeks to make sure nothing was going on. Since the first day the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates have all been 0. The PH has moved a little but its stabalized now. The salinity is 1.025 right now. The temperature is steady at 80 day and night now. If it doesn't end up settling ill bring it back. It just freaked me out when I thought it was dead. I woke up at like 3 am and happened to walk by the tank and saw it just floating around the tank. I helped settle it in one area and when I woke up it was settled. When I got home today it seems to possibly have found a spot it likes on the side of the tank opposite the pump. This is a small bulb anenome only about 3 inches across right now. Ill see if I can get a picture on here sometime soon. Thanks for the help

Archived