Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clown Goby or Mantis Shrimp?

ironmics

27 members have voted

1. 1. Clown Goby or Mantis Shrimp?

• Mantis
    • Clown

So I've been cycling an old 5gal Cadlights tank for about two months and everything's looking good. I've added a few hermits and some zoas from my 10. Now however, I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on what to stock in it. I've narrowed my choices to a clown goby, probably green, but I would love a black one if I can order one from my LFS. Or a mantis shrimp, which I've wanted for a long time. I can order a wennerae very easily from that same LFS, so availability isn't a problem. They're both so cute, but a mantis shrimp does have a touch more mystique to it. So now I need some help deciding, also ideas for inverts to keep if I do go with the goby.

Haha I'm not entirely sure what that means, but feel free to suggest anything you want. It my pique my interest. However, that store said he would just give me the next mantis he got in because he gets them as hitch hikers a lot, so I'm leaning towards that option. Oh also there will be a peppermint shrimp and ninja star astraea in there for now due to what I believe to be aipasia, and some hard to reach algae. They may well end up being mantis food though.

BustytheSnowMaam

you won't regret the mantis. The only thing is that n. wennerae are diurnal, so you won't see him all the time, but when you do see him it's fascinating to watch.

Yeah, from all of the descriptions the shop owner has given of the ones he gets, I've gathered that they are wennerae's. He always calls them Caribbean green's that are about an inch long. Hopefully he gets some in soon, said he just gave away two a couple weeks ago. I have a lot of small cave like openings in my rock work so I think a wennerae would like it in there.

where do you live that your lfs has mantis shrimps that he gives away for free? i can't get any of the ones around me to even ORDER one for me, so i'm probably going to have to mail order it.

where do you live that your lfs has mantis shrimps that he gives away for free? i can't get any of the ones around me to even ORDER one for me, so i'm probably going to have to mail order it.

Oregon, he gets them as hitch hikers, so it's not a guaranteed I'll get one so easily.

billy_bob76148

you might want to read up on the mantis if you use air fresheners in the room the tank is in. I have read many reports of people loosing thier mantis after spraying products like glade air freshener in the same room as the tank. Just something to think about.

Mantids are the most rewarding creature to be kept in small aquariums imo. Clownfish are a close second due to their cute/awkward behaviors, but the intelligence of a mantis shrimp is hard to beat.

Archived