SaltCritters.com

Feather duster question

polyppetey

My feather duster just up and moved to the other side of the tank, it has been previously happy in its old location for about 2 years now, suddenly I saw the empty tube and was sad because I thought it was dead but the I found it on the other side of my tank. It sucks because I can't see it where it currently is living.

I would live to move it a bit so at least I can see . I am guessing I should let it build a new tube first?

What would cause this? Is it just unhappy in its last locale?? Water parameters are fine, th only thing I have done lately is allowing the alk get into the 8-9 dkh range because it was told it was too high at 12 dkh. Ammonia is slightly up but nothing the tank hasen't seen in the past.What gives??

reefman225gal
My feather duster just up and moved to the other side of the tank, it has been previously happy in its old location for about 2 years now, suddenly I saw the empty tube and was sad because I thought it was dead but the I found it on the other side of my tank. It sucks because I can't see it where it currently is living.

I would live to move it a bit so at least I can see . I am guessing I should let it build a new tube first?

What would cause this? Is it just unhappy in its last locale?? Water parameters are fine, th only thing I have done lately is allowing the alk get into the 8-9 dkh range because it was told it was too high at 12 dkh. Ammonia is slightly up but nothing the tank hasen't seen in the past.What gives??

When they evacuate their tube, its usually caused by stress. What kind soft tube or hard ? I know that the hard tubes( Serpulids) can be affected by ALK and they also need good calcium levels. A dkh value of 12 is not to high in my opinion as long as as your PH is in acceptable range. Im not sure, but i think you should not try to relocate the worm until it has constructed a new tube or you will only add to the stress at this point. I hope it survives the evacuation.

Thank you for the thoughtfull response, it is a soft tube duster. I cannot think of anything that would have stressed it out. My PH is 8 to 8.2 daily. I did a full water test today and the only issue is slightly high ammonia.

PH was 8 nitrate and nitrite at 0, alk at 9 DKH, temp a nice 74 degrees. calcium at 400.

One possibility is that it was getting crouded by 2 zooanthid colonies I have they are pretty much swarming its base.

reefman225gal
I did a full water test today and the only issue is slightly high ammonia.

One possibility is that it was getting crouded by 2 zooanthid colonies I have they are pretty much swarming its base.

Well, What do you think is causing ammonia? That might be a possibility. As far as the zoes ive never heard of them bothering feather dusters. As long as the zoes arent growing on the tube and are just at the base i dont think they are the cause. Its probably has something to do with whatever is causing the ammonia in your aquarium. No new inhabitants added?

Well, What do you think is causing ammonia? That might be a possibility. As far as the zoes ive never heard of them bothering feather dusters. As long as the zoes arent growing on the tube and are just at the base i dont think they are the cause. Its probably has something to do with whatever is causing the ammonia in your aquarium. No new inhabitants added?

No, nothing new with the exception of a snail gone missing, I have a 12 g nano so that could be the cause of the ammonia.

reefman225gal

I dont know what it could be. Like i said maybe the ammonia or it could of been the difference in the ALK being lowered. The thing you have to remember in the future if its not broke dont fix it. You said it was fine for 2 years with the dkh being at 12 then you lowered it. Pay more attention to how you animals are doing rather then having certain parameters at specific values. HTH

I dont know what it could be. Like i said maybe the ammonia or it could of been the difference in the ALK being lowered. The thing you have to remember in the future if its not broke dont fix it. You said it was fine for 2 years with the dkh being at 12 then you lowered it. Pay more attention to how you animals are doing rather then having certain parameters at specific values. HTH

In lowering the ALK it was my intention to help out my mushrooms (something I have never been able to successfully keep) , on doing research I found most people with successful ric and mushroom tanks have on average ALK of 8-11 on average. My alk has always been on the high side so I gradually lowered it over the course of 2 weeks to 9-10, the tank seems to have responded positively.

On a side note the duster looks like it is happy, it is tucked under a rock and has at least 1/2 inch of new tube exposed above the surface, i'm not sure what is going on under the sand ut I am not going to look.

reefman225gal

That is funny how that works. Some people can get em growing like weeds with no special Attn. While others cant. Glad to hear the duster is rebuilding tube.

I was kind of worried because the place it chose happens to be net to the burrow of a huge emerald crab, I was afraid it would eat it. Especially all tubeless and all.

Archived