Cultivated Reef

Oddities of the Deep! (One Picture!) :)

johnmaloney

We regularly come across some of the unique creature of the ocean, and keep them in our tanks for curiosity purposes. We have decided to make them available to our customers for free, as long as they understand the risk. For example, I have a few Gaudy Natica's. A beautiful snail, it will scavenge, as well as eat small bivalves and other snails. Good for a sump or tank that can accommodate this creature. I also have a Giant Atlantic Cockle, a filter feeder, it like most clams should not be consider a cleaner, rather it is a pet and you should feed it. Assorted "cleaner clams", decorator crabs, and a small 2 inch box flame crab round out the current list. Oh, no wait - I have a few marginalia snails, nicely shelled creatures, but only reef safe with caution as they may kill other snails.

I also have a stiff pen shell. This is the creature that makes natural black pearls. Ugly on the outside, its inside is iridescent, and renown for its mother of pearl.

and a couple of unidentified nudis, but I am growing them out.

you should know I am lazy about pics. okay maybe, i will work on it. in the mean time you can see some pics from around the net:

Giant Atlantic Cockle:

http://www.okeefes.org/Mollusks/101_7749cockletou.jpg

Stiff Pen Shell:

http://www.okeefes.org/Mollusks/Stiff%20Pe...%20102_3177.jpg

Marginella:

http://www.jaxshells.org/sc276sj.jpg

Gaudy Natica:

http://www.shelltrips.com/Florida/pics/%20canrena.jpg

(Also known as the finely decorated Natica or something like that.)

decorator crabs:

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:jLA3saq...coratorCrab.jpg

flame streaked box crab:

for free. no alive arrival though, work it out through posts here for dibs. Then email us with order number or something like that. didn't want to set a structure up for it really.

on you of course. can't pay to give it away. :) I figured when people were stopping by anyway they can pick up a creature. Will keep this current.

asthegloryfades

Is the decorator crab as in the spider decorator? cant really tell from that picture. I absolutely love my spider decorator it not the least bit agressive and doesnt bother any corals. well it does try to remove my polyps but is unsuccessful. Overall its an awsome inhabitant that i would call reef safe

Hey John the Gaudy Natica, decorator crab, and box crab are awesome.... :haha:fingerscrossed:ninja::bowdown:B):D;)

Hey jr, happy you like. I got all 3 of them because of our little trade delay.

Is the decorator crab as in the spider decorator? cant really tell from that picture. I absolutely love my spider decorator it not the least bit agressive and doesnt bother any corals. well it does try to remove my polyps but is unsuccessful. Overall its an awsome inhabitant that i would call reef safe

No the teardrop kind. A few different species of teardrops. Looks a little similar to the spiders, but has a big "nose".

Hey jr, you know a box crab will crush any shell or finger that it doesn't like or wants to eat right? (When it gets bigger at least. They won't spit though if they are underwater, and they don't swim -much).

Hey jr, happy you like. I got all 3 of them because of our little trade delay.

No the teardrop kind. A few different species of teardrops. Looks a little but similar to the spiders, but has a big "nose". They are relatively docile, as long as they are fed. Most places consider them reef safe.

Hey jr, you know a box crab will crush any shell or finger that it doesn't like or wants to eat right?

We regularly come across some of the unique creature of the ocean, and keep them in our tanks for curiosity purposes. We have decided to make them available to our customers for free, as long as they understand the risk. For example, I have a few Gaudy Natica's. A beautiful snail, it will scavenge, as well as eat small bivalves and other snails. Good for a sump or tank that can accommodate this creature. I also have a Giant Atlantic Cockle, a filter feeder, it like most clams should not be consider a cleaner, rather it is a pet and you should feed it. Assorted "cleaner clams", decorator crabs, and a small 2 inch box flame crab round out the current list. Oh, no wait - I have a few marginalia snails, nicely shelled creatures, but only reef safe with caution as they may kill other snails.

I also have a stiff pen shell. This is the creature that makes natural black pearls. Ugly on the outside, its inside is iridescent, and renown for its mother of pearl.

and a couple of unidentified nudis, but I am growing them out.

What are the requirements for the Stiff pen and what does it look like when open. I would like to see how it looks before i decide to pay for shipping. 95122

Adolfo

i might get a picture of the actual live critters, but doing a free wysiwyg is a bit of a chore. Please don't place an order on the basis of these animals. They are not our store critters and come with absolutely no warranty, strictly as is. In all cases you must do your own research. We can not be responsible for them, or there Alive Arrival. However, we both share a common interest in delivering the animal safe and sound.

These animals only ship via Express Mail, unless otherwise stated.

We welcome those people who receive them to post pictures.

Cool, yeah I did a little research on them after seeing the video. I have a 20l setup that was about to get torn down because aside from rock it's empty, it would be perfect for the boxy.

on you of course. can't pay to give it away. :) I figured when people were stopping by anyway they can pick up a creature. Will keep this current.

been doing some hw on that cockle whats its current size? i ve read max size is appz 5" all around

been doing some hw on that cockle whats its current size? i ve read max size is appz 5" all around

Smaller than a softball, bigger than a baseball. Only 5 inches all around? Maybe that is the high point of the normal range, but I have been known to make record catches pretty often. ;) Didn't get out the tape but it seems a little bit bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

also have two very large leafy sea hares. very cool looking, must be fed a large amount of macroalgae (caulerpa, gracilaria, ulva, etc...) or romaine lettuce, and kept in 60 gallons or better. Very large. Had them over 7 months, and they are well fed. $7 shipping would be appreciated. Local pick up preferred. Advanced aquarists only please. It is hard to gauge the size of a sea hare, (they retract, stretch out, etc...), but they are about the size of a man's hand, one is just a little smaller.

• 3 months later...
johnmaloney

they are sort of reef safe. You have to feed them, or they will behave like mean emerald crabs. They do eat algae, but target feeding should be done. They are better for larger 30+gallon tanks. They may frag your corals and attach them to their head. Or do this with your macros in my case... So if you have some super ultra rare $500 a polyp coral in there, you are forewarned. Other than that, I wouldn''t mind losing a few zoas to have a walking frag rack.

Archived