Pod Your Reef

Starter Coral

kbruin

Hey all, I'm looking to grab some beginning corals and I'm looking at different place to buy from.

Live aquaria has some enticing offers

7 mushroom corals - 59.99

5 polyp corals - 59.99

They are all nano sized (1"-2").

I like the idea of a pack to start off with as I only have LR and livestock.

I would think that you would be able to find something cheaper in LA and not have to pay shipping. Maybe a local reefer can put something together for you.

I would think that you would be able to find something cheaper in LA and not have to pay shipping. Maybe a local reefer can put something together for you.

Umm, ya. Or go to the next meet 'n' swap of the S. Cal. Nano Reef Society. www.scnrs.com

Hey all, I'm looking to grab some beginning corals and I'm looking at different place to buy from.

5 polyp corals - 59.99

If you are anywhere near the San Fernando valley , you should try Ocean Pet on Reseda Bl. Just south of Nordhoff. They are great guys very knowelgeable and their prices are about 1/2 what every other Store in my area charges . They usually have a great selection of softies , best to go friday afternoon or saturday morning . They restock every week but it goes fast due to their great pricing . Ive bought most of my corals from them and everything has dome well so far . I have a few friends who have been going there for about a year with all good things to say as well ...

I'm down to go somewhere local. Maybe I'll trek to Northridge tomorrow. They got frags for 10 each? I like being able to get 12 pieces for like $120. Lots of the places I go I see frags for 20-40. Thou I haven't looked closely at it.

5 polyp corals - 59.99

That's a rip off. I can get muchrooms for $5 a polyp around here. I'm not sure what they charge out there.

I'm down to go somewhere local. Maybe I'll trek to Northridge tomorrow. They got frags for 10 each? I like being able to get 12 pieces for like $120. Lots of the places I go I see frags for 20-40. Thou I haven't looked closely at it.

I think it is better when you get to chose what you buy. Sometimes frag packs sold online have corals that are not very colorful or maybe not what you were wanting.

Yeah , they do have assorted small frags in the $10-$20 range ... you'll be happy you made the trip as long as you get there shortly after they restock ... 818-700 4971 , call them and see when they will have a fresh batch ...

Damn I wish I could get coral that cheap. Probablly cause you guys are next to the coast.

My lfs charges like $35 for orange and blue ricordea. :angry:

And that's just a small frag.

I drive the 50 miles to get to Phishy buisness in columbus ohio and its a good place to find nice corals but its alittle pricey a normal colormorph of ricordea goes for 15 dollars and a rare color morph goes for about 35 dollars

Militant Jurist
I drive the 50 miles to get to Phishy buisness in columbus ohio and its a good place to find nice corals but its alittle pricey a normal colormorph of ricordea goes for 15 dollars and a rare color morph goes for about 35 dollars

I got my florida rics for $8/ea! They had a sale about a month or so ago.

To the OP:

Find an LFS that has a large coral selection. The good stores will have a frag section, and you'll find some of the best deals anywhere in those types of tanks. All of the coral I have came from a frag tank, and the most I've ever paid for a coral was $18, which was for the two headed frogspawn I just go. Other than that, I'd say I've averaged $8 a frag for everything else. You can take a look at what that money all got me in my tank thread, and see if that's the size of corals you are looking for.

Archived