SaltCritters.com

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

gulfsurfer101

I believe the fixture was 20" nep! However the bulbs were 18". I wish I knew I couldn't find decent bulbs to replace them. Only what current was marketing. Guess it's what I got for not doing my homework.

• Like 1

Hey Weetie Long time no post :flower:

Hey you, nice to see you still around! Yeah, life's been busy, lots has happened. Moved the whole family to Greenville, SC, so it's a whole new world. Good possibilities here though.

Hey there! And yes, I had a current nova pro I believe that used 18" bulbs. The problem with 18" bulbs is nobody really makes them. It was this reason I sold a 300 dollar fixture for 75 bucks

How annoying. I was afraid of that, but it's been so long since I've been in the scene I figured it was worth asking. I still really prefer pico tanks and T5HO lighting, but it's hard finding the lighting I like to fit.

• Like 1

I believe the fixture was 20" nep! However the bulbs were 18". I wish I knew I couldn't find decent bulbs to replace them. Only what current was marketing. Guess it's what I got for not doing my homework.

That's how it was last time I looked. A piece of me wants to say "ah, wth, imperfect bulbs aren't a big deal if you can get the right size fixture", but then I remember all the experiments I did w/all the different color bulbs, and the truth is, the bulbs really do make a difference. I don't totally know if I'll be doing anything anyway, I just mostly wanted to see what was possible since I haven't looked around in so long. Thanks for the input!

gulfsurfer101

That's how it was last time I looked. A piece of me wants to say "ah, wth, imperfect bulbs aren't a big deal if you can get the right size fixture", but then I remember all the experiments I did w/all the different color bulbs, and the truth is, the bulbs really do make a difference. I don't totally know if I'll be doing anything anyway, I just mostly wanted to see what was possible since I haven't looked around in so long. Thanks for the input!

I hear you on that. If that's the case then the answer from my perspective would be to just do it. There has been a lot of advancements in the pico world, lighting only being a small one. The colors and growth I got from my 20" nep wasn't bad at all. I just went to a bigger tank and consolidated everything I no longer needed to make that build happen. I'm still debating going back to t5's myself one I start up my 75g. Congratulations on the move btw, I was in Easly, SC for a little while about 15 years back with work. I miss the Spartanburg area! It definitely was a change from South Texas!

Hey you, nice to see you still around! Yeah, life's been busy, lots has happened. Moved the whole family to Greenville, SC, so it's a whole new world. Good possibilities here though.

How annoying. I was afraid of that, but it's been so long since I've been in the scene I figured it was worth asking. I still really prefer pico tanks and T5HO lighting, but it's hard finding the lighting I like to fit.

Yep they are slowly phasing the good stuff out. I was very skeptical switching to LED but did and I am happy. You still have a tank or thinking about setting one up again? Either way good seeing you around again :)
  • Like 1

Yep they are slowly phasing the good stuff out. I was very skeptical switching to LED but did and I am happy. You still have a tank or thinking about setting one up again? Either way good seeing you around again :)

Haven't had a tank for a couple of years, still have a bit of equipment. Recently checked out the LFS in Greenville, and it got me looking around again. I tried LED a couple of years ago but found that I personally still preferred T5HO. I could see using LED as a supplement to T5 for shimmer & maybe a little extra blue, but that's it, just for me personally.

Haven't had a tank for a couple of years, still have a bit of equipment. Recently checked out the LFS in Greenville, and it got me looking around again. I tried LED a couple of years ago but found that I personally still preferred T5HO. I could see using LED as a supplement to T5 for shimmer & maybe a little extra blue, but that's it, just for me personally.

There's a couple good places down there to buy from. Check out Fishy Business in Columbia. A bit expensive but he has a nice selection.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hey, I'll leave it here in case this can be useful. Cheers ! ;)

20G Tank.

24" SunPower High Output T5 Light Fixture - ATI

Bulb Configuration:

x3 Coral Plus / x3 Blue Plus / x2 True Actinic

click to enlarge

T5Result001.jpg?format=2500w

T5Result002.jpg?format=2500w

T5Result004.jpg?format=2500w

T5Result003.jpg?format=2500w

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...

I know this thread hasn't been touched in awhile but I just wanted to maybe bring some life back to it. Picked up a wavepoint 4x24w fixture, the bulbs, electronics and reflectors are probably junk but the housing is damn solid and foe $15 I couldn't pass it up. Might gut it and add a HEP ballast, ati bulbs and reflectors. 20160828_140554_zpsqpszflwl.jpg

I need to find some measurements for different reflectors. I know the LET and icecap slr reflectors aren't too wide but I need to find out how tall they are. Benny please refer to my other post and see if you can answer my ballast question.

I took the end cap off. I actually have quite a bit of room to work with. Also even though the reflector is 1 piece it's kind of like individual reflectors. So from the top op the fixture to the splash guard is 2.5" and the HEP ballast is 1" tall. 20160828_181825_zpsitoya5z1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I see that folks are consistent ly using the ge6500 as a full spectrum white. I used one myself a while back but was not a fan of the color. Is there a daylight bulb out there with better CRI than the ge?

I'm looking for a 24w high cri daylight.

Hi Ben,

By color I meant how color is rendered - less the general cct spectrum. Still keeping my eye out, but I've only seen 85cri.

Best,

Rob

Gotcha, what colors did you feel you were missing? The only way you'll get higher CRI would be from warmer white tubes, which can really throw off the look of the tank.

Definitely, I felt that greens and yellows were over saturated, while shades of red, orange, and deep green were too laid back. Looking for good color renditions of red without going too warm. I'm using the coral white right now and like it a lot, but would like to try a coral white + high cri 4000-5600k for a sunlight look.

• 10 months later...

Macro Tank under just a Giesemann Midday 6500k and an ATI Coral+

P1070128

Same tank under 2 ATI Blue+ bulbs as well as the Giesemann Midday and ATI Coral+

P1070117

• Like 4
  • 1 year later...

I hope I'm not too late to the party, but how do wavepoint blue wave/super blues compare to ati blue plus'? has anyone been able to make that comparison yet?? I can't seem to find anyone that's made a direct comparison yet, unless I haven't looked hard enough.

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2015 at 2:45 PM, Weetabix7 said:

I tried LED a couple of years ago but found that I personally still preferred T5HO. I could see using LED as a supplement to T5 for shimmer & maybe a little extra blue, but that's it, just for me personally.

I think for some reason, people want LED's to produce like T5HO/MH (growth wise). But, the fact is MH/T5HO are proven to grow corals better, faster, and dare I say healthier. Isn't that what we all want? Sometimes we choose lights and spectrum based on what we want, not what our corals need.

Not saying LED's are crap, far from that. But, under the wrong hands LED's may not be the best choice. I understand this is a hot topic and I'm not here to offend anyone. Just stating an opinion.

• 1 year later...

So, nobody's using T5 HO anymore. 

I'm searching around for budget tank lighting for first Saltwater tank - and have a free decent 4 x 24 fixture for free that I can use with new bulbs that came with light ( probably off brand but 2 white and 2 Acnic ?? blue.  It's got individual reflectors, but only one switch for all lights.  Either all on - or all off. 

Should I start with that light or keep looking for something else to start with.  I'd prefer soething that I could scale on and off intensity and have dual channel timer, but those seem to creep up in price pretty quickly.

You should start your own thread @Jakesaw and post what your budget is and what the tank is that you're lighting up.  Tank dimensions would be vey helpful.

Without more info I'd say that it's hard to beat free.  But T5's need to be replaced once or twice a year...which you will find is NOT free.  😉

For the cost of one or two sets of replacement bulbs, you could probably afford an LED setup that will last a long time.   Feel free to tag me if you open a thread with more details!!  👍

@mcarroll

Thanks, I may do that, I'm still exploring.  I'm trying to keep entry into salt as cheap as possible to learn if I"m up to the task of salt vs freshwater.  Originally was going to follow a budget 10 gal build on youtube. 

But tinkering with using a standard 29 gallon I have unused laying around.  Lighting cost is what's keeping me off this path.  This is what the T5 would be used for.  If you have a better recommendation for affordable light on 29, I'd be open.  I was even pricing DIY LED builds on the web today,

Larger tank gives me parameter room for error while I learn feeding, Quar Tank, testing parameters, etc, but 10 gallon would be cheapest entry route.  I'd be happy with a Nemo fish and an occasional coral and flow through the algae blooms coming and going while I cure my dry rock.  For corals, I'd pick up a frag every month or few to see how they do. Acans, Candycane, frogspawn, and Zoas are my beginner interest.  Color variation would be desireable.  

Longer term like to have a mixed reef / fish ( Wrasse,flame hawkfish, yellow clown goby, firefish, bicolor blenny, royal grama etc - some combination of these species over time ) in 29 or possibly a 40 gal, but not in a hurry to get there.  Mainly want to dip my toe into saltwater to learn on the cheap to see if salt grows legs for me.