Pod Your Reef

Should I be ablet to wiggle my bulkhead?

itzclayyo

Hey, just got a used tank and one of the bulkheads seems a little loose. All of the other bulkheads are solid in there. I can kinda wiggle this one though. It's for the return, the pipe is definately in the bh rock solid. So.. Should I worry about it??

Wiggle it how?

It really shouldn't be able to budge more than 1mm or so in either direction, if you're moving it sideways.

How did you tighten it? I usually tight by hand only, but as much as possible (i'm weak tho, lol) in that way.

Wiggle it how?

It really shouldn't be able to budge more than 1mm or so in either direction, if you're moving it sideways.

How did you tighten it? I usually tight by hand only, but as much as possible (i'm weak tho, lol) in that way.

Yea, just moving it by hand it moves at least a cm each way. I didn't tighten it yet, this is my first time using a built in overflow. I usually use hob. Is there any way to tighten it better? I tried by hand but that didn't work out to well, it kind of just twisted without tightening.

Sounds like the hole is bigger than it needs to be if you can move it a cm. I would pull the bulkhead right out and see how big that hole is. You may want to put a bigger bulkhead and return line in.

Wiggling ones bulkhead, should be done in the privacy of ones home...imo.

However, the application of 100% silicone to said bulkhead+glass, used as an adhesive assistant, should solve your problem and prevent any leakage...

best-o-luck

It's a dual oveflow tank (135g) mega overflow boxes.

I can take the pipe that goes inside of the tank out by hand easily. Both those pipes are for returns. The pipes inside the tank that drain water into the sump are in there without a problem.

The return pipes (inside of the overflow box) just seem to be pushed down into the bulkheads. Should I glue them down?

And one of the 2 bulkheads for the return can wiggle. The pipe still pushes down in their fine but the actual bulkhead moves.

It's a deep tank so it's pretty hard to reach in there and tighten it. I can get both my hands on each side of the bulkhead but thats about it. (24 inch deep tank).

I hope this helps explain it a little bit better.

Wiggling ones bulkhead, should be done in the privacy of ones home...imo.

However, the application of 100% silicone to said bulkhead+glass, used as an adhesive assistant, should solve your problem and prevent any leakage...

best-o-luck

LOL at the first part

So you think that if I put some silicone or plumbers puty surrounding the bulkhead on the outside of the tank it should be good?

If i'm seeing the same picture, should work.

As stated, maybe a larger bulkhead would provide a better fit.

We used silicone on Texass's 40 around the bulkheads....no problems.

Glenn, did the same with his.

In my 20L, I just finger tightened...no leaks.

But if I was to do it again, I would use silicone.

Drilled tank or overflow box....think the principal applies to both.

Hope that helps-

If i'm seeing the same picture, should work.

As stated, maybe a larger bulkhead would provide a better fit.

We used silicone on Texass's 40 around the bulkheads....no problems.

Glenn, did the same with his.

In my 20L, I just finger tightened...no leaks.

But if I was to do it again, I would use silicone.

Drilled tank or overflow box....think the principal applies to both.

Hope that helps-

I think that's what I'l do. Should I silicone the inside to or just the part on the outside of the bh?

just use silicone on the underside of the tank. dont get it on the rubber gasket. no do not glue the return or drain pipe into the bh inside the overflow box. u will need to remove them once in awhile to clean.

just use silicone on the underside of the tank. dont get it on the rubber gasket. no do not glue the return or drain pipe into the bh inside the overflow box. u will need to remove them once in awhile to clean.

Alright, thanks for the help everyone! Do you think AquaMend Putty would hold it good? I have some of that already, but if it won't work well I'l be sure to pick up some silicone.

id just get some silicone. once it dries it will form a rubber gasket and help to make the bh water tight. aquamend will dry hard and not help with the seal.

If you can't tighten it, it will leak no matter what you do. Silicone cannot form a very strong bond between plastic and glass.

I know its bad news, but the best long term option is to find a way to tighten it.

If you can't tighten it, it will leak no matter what you do. Silicone cannot form a very strong bond between plastic and glass.

I know its bad news, but the best long term option is to find a way to tighten it.

Hm.. well I know it's not the wrong size bulkhead because it is the same size as the other one which is already tightened to perfection. I doubt the 2 hole sizes are different also......... because who would do that.

Once my oldest son gets home we can move the tank off the stand and probably have a better reach at it and a better chance at tightening it.

If not then I'm kind of lost, because some say silicone will work and some don't........ so I'm kinda stuck between what to do.

Yeah, its tough.

Silicone can work in some cases, but its not a good long-term solution. And if it can move 1cm, there is an underlying problem I'd think, beyond the scope of just patching it up with silicone or epoxy.

I WOULD NOT trust silicon to hold a seal between the bulkhead and glass. If you can move the bulkhead it's not tight enough. That little bit of siilicone would have a fair amount of pressure being in the bottom of a 135g tank.... if the seal was to ever break while you were sleeping or away that could drain your whole tank.

Yeah, its tough.

Silicone can work in some cases, but its not a good long-term solution. And if it can move 1cm, there is an underlying problem I'd think, beyond the scope of just patching it up with silicone or epoxy.

Well if it's resting it moves about a half a cm each way. And If I push up it moves about a half of a mm.

your best bet would be to replace the bh all togather. it may have cracked and thats why it wont tighten up. i always hand tighten mine then a 1/4 turn with a wrench.

i agree the silicone isnt the best option but if the bh doesnt leak and u just need to tighten up the wiggle the silicone will work. when i bought my 240g the owner before me siliconed in the bh. u couldnt budge them things loose without a big wrench and alot of force.

your best bet would be to replace the bh all togather. it may have cracked and thats why it wont tighten up. i always hand tighten mine then a 1/4 turn with a wrench.

i agree the silicone isnt the best option but if the bh doesnt leak and u just need to tighten up the wiggle the silicone will work. when i bought my 240g the owner before me siliconed in the bh. u couldnt budge them things loose without a big wrench and alot of force.

Thats what I think I will do. I'd rather be safe then sorry. I'm gonna do a leak test probably tomorrow on the system. If it leaks I will definately replace it.

alot of my bulkheads ive had in the past leak.. imperfections in there techniques i suppose..

what i do...

if its a small leak, stick a cup under it and let salt creep clog it up haha....

or.....

silicone in place if tank is dry, or i just buy some aquamend or epoxy putty and patch it up.

alot of my bulkheads ive had in the past leak.. imperfections in there techniques i suppose..

what i do...

if its a small leak, stick a cup under it and let salt creep clog it up haha....

or.....

silicone in place if tank is dry, or i just buy some aquamend or epoxy putty and patch it up.

Yea it is dry, I'm still trying to decide whether to silicone it or replace it.

Well just a little update, I was able to fix the current bulkhead with a vise script (or however you spell it) and tighten it by hand. Water tested it and it worked out perfect. I'm really glad I didn't just patch it up with silicone.

Archived