inTank Media Baskets

Setting up two biocubes this week, pointers?

octoberfest

This week I will be setting up two biocubes, one will be a 29 gallon with a 150 watt MH fixture and the other a stock 14 gallon bio cube.

I've had a 14 gallon in the past and I know the simple mods like upgrading the pumps, swapping the actinic bulb with the 10K etc. but is there a link for DIY mods?

The 29 gallon will be a reef tank, mainly corals. I'm considering an anemone and/or maybe a clam. With the 150 watt lighting what types of corals can I keep? I don't want xena or other "brown" corals, the more color the better.

The 14 gallon will be a local tank with live stock collected off the coast of North Carolina. Lots of inverts, and a few beautiful macro algaes.

:welcome: to nano-reef

Check out the All-in-one forum for mods.

Wait until the tank is fully mature before you add the anemone or clam. Note that anemones move around and can often cause damage.

Just out of curiosity, where in NC are you from? There are quite of us few nano-reefers in the Wilmington area.

Not to hijack, but haven't heard what you are referring to about switching out the actinics for a 10K. What is this? Do you lose your actinics? Going to be replacing bulbs in my BC14 in the next month or so and would like to know what this "mod" or upgrade is.

burtbollinger

go slow....and read....buy enough live rock....and an extra powerhead to each tank....

by reading, all other questions you have will answer themselves.

for real....read.

your idea for the 14g sounds really cool, btw.

go slow....and read....buy enough live rock....and an extra powerhead to each tank....

by reading, all other questions you have will answer themselves.

for real....read.

your idea for the 14g sounds really cool, btw.

and read

and read

and read

and read some more

Oh crap, should have added this, I've been in the hobby for about 6 years, just always had bigger tanks (75, 125, and 72 gallon).

I picked them both up today. I've got the 29 gallon sitting on the floor with the live rock, water, sand and sunpod 150W MH fixture on it. I'll be building the stand or looking for one this week and then get going on putting it in its "home".

The 14 gallon will be on hold for a bit until the 29 gallon is set. I have a 75 gallon tank setup at a friends house that we filled up with local life this summer. I'll end up getting some of the critters out of there to stock it.

Archived