inTank Media Baskets

Plan for possible upgrade!

Nick's Reef

I currently have an AP24 with a 19" finnex 150w HQI w/2x18w actinics pendant. Mostly LPS/SPS with rics and zoanthids. I'm quickly running out of room and want to go slightly bigger.

Plans so far are:

Equipment

AGA 40 Breeder drilled with overflow

Red Sea Berlin Turbo Skimmer

Sealife Systems Berlin Sump rated for 75 gallons

Catalina Aquatics CA1800 Return (recomened return my sump manufacture)

Galaxy 2x 250w HQI Retro w/Phoenix Bulbs

Korilia 1 and 2 til' I get money for another 2

40lbs OceanDirect Sand

20lbs LR and 2lbs Reefcleaners base rock

Was thinking of going with a single lumenmax or lumenarc but for $50 can get 2x as much light.

Get a bigger sump if you can fit it. You can have it all in 10, but it's a PITA for maintenance once you get baffles in and a decent pump (the MJ isn't going to cut it for a return).

Get a bigger sump if you can fit it. You can have it all in 10, but it's a PITA for maintenance once you get baffles in and a decent pump (the MJ isn't going to cut it for a return).

Yeah, i thought the maxi jet wouldn't work. Will go with a mag or eheim then, the only reason for the ten is I have one already, would hang on the skimmer to free up room.

Why not do a slightly bigger upgrade? Also, +1 on bigger sump.

May go bigger on the sump, dpends how big the skimmer and return are. As for tank size this is much more area than the aquapod,the swiming room is maybe 18gallons before rock and the diemensions of the tank aren't the best. Too high, no room for plating corals and limited to mountain looking scapes which i hate. I'm getting a quote from my buddy who makes tanks and owners the best LFS in town tomorrow, if it's not to expensive to got maybe 24x24x15 then I will. Just I only want to have one halide over the tank as that's all I can afford. I'm a freshman in highschool with no job, so my reefing funds are limited to say the least. This would be a christmas present so the cost for the tank itself plus a few things like sump and stand are covered.

Not this again...

No, Ocho, this time's for real if it doesn't cost a fourtune. I figured tank runs me $150, skimmer get use for $50,sump set up for cost of baffles, return $50, already have a fuge light and everything else cept maybe some rock which i can get from John for $3per lb.

Damn freshman... :wacko:

;)

lol!

No, Ocho, this time's for real if it doesn't cost a fourtune. I figured tank runs me $150, skimmer get use for $50,sump set up for cost of baffles, return $50, already have a fuge light and everything else cept maybe some rock which i can get from John for $3per lb.

I'm just kidding...sounds like a good plan. Try and find some locals with used stuff to save some $. How many total gallon is it?

I have a 15 gallon sump on my tank and I use an aqua-c remora for my skimmer it works fine and it does open up alot of room in the sump.

I'm just kidding...sounds like a good plan. Try and find some locals with used stuff to save some $.

yeah looked on craigslist and found tons of cheap skimmers, probably can get a sump for cheap too.

Why don't you go for the 40 breeder and the cheap Petco stand. You could come in at 200 bucks for tank and stand which is less than your custom tank will probably cost.

Why don't you go for the 40 breeder and the cheap Petco stand. You could come in at 200 bucks for tank and stand which is less than your custom tank will probably cost.

I would need another halide fixture, plus i'd never buy a stand, cost to much, I can make a ghetto one for maybe $40. Just plywood and 2x4's no doors, for easy acess to the sump plus better venteleation. I already probably have most of the wood from when my dad built new shelfs for the garage, i know I have the plywood. Also $200 for tank and stand less than custom tank? No way, this tank'll probably be just over the price of a 40 breeder, i know this guy's prices a tank almost identacle to what I want, plumbed to a sump with skimmer and very nice stand was $300. Considering the skimmer and sump together were $100+ not bad at all!

Well dpending on the price of the custom tank, I may just get an oceanic cube either the 37 (if i can find one) or the 33. The 33 is 3.5" shorter lenght wise and 3.5" taller. Still can use the finnex light and get one hell of a tank. Plus these tanks are easy to find, my LFS can get one or petco or some other pet shop. It's a lot bigger than my ap24 imo. 5" wider than the ap and 7" wider than the display area!

well turns out he said not to go custom but get a 40brd. So he said to get 2x 250w halides for spx, but that's $500+, probably tek 39w 6 bulb fixture will be my choice. My dad has no problem with a new light and will help cover the cost. Gonna get his bada$$ redsea berlin turbo skimmer and skim the hell out of the tank.

Archived