Light and Skimmer for 20L?

celticsfan

Can anyone make a recommendation as for reasonably priced skimmers (have to be HOB as there is no sump) and lighting for a 20L? If not one of the ones listed below please share your thoughts!

For skimmers I was thinking one of the following:

CPR Backpak 2R------$130

Tunze Nano DOC------$150

Tunze Nano pack------$200 (skimmer/filter combo, would be good to hold carbon/p04 media)

Octopus BH-100------$103

Sapphire NC24 Recirc---$125

For lighting over softies and maybe a few LPS:

SunBlaze 4x24w T5-----------------$90 (no SLR but still seems like a good deal)

Dual Satellite 2x65w CF-------------$170 (kinda pricey but would be willing to splurge if its worth it)

Nova Extreme 2x24w T5-----------$80 (is this enough light considering they aren't true SLR's?)

Hamilton Magnetic 2x75w VHO-----$75 (love VHO's but how is this magnetic ballast?)

AH Supply 2x55w CF-------------- (Their site isn't working so I cant get a price but I know it's cheap, people seem to love their CF retrofits from AH)

Can anyone make a recommendation as for reasonably priced skimmers (have to be HOB as there is no sump) and lighting for a 20L? If not one of the ones listed below please share your thoughts!

For skimmers I was thinking one of the following:

CPR Backpak 2R------$130

Tunze Nano DOC------$150

Tunze Nano pack------$200 (skimmer/filter combo, would be good to hold carbon/p04 media)

Octopus BH-100------$103

Sapphire NC24 Recirc---$125

For lighting over softies and maybe a few LPS:

SunBlaze 4x24w T5-----------------$90 (no SLR but still seems like a good deal)

Dual Satellite 2x65w CF-------------$170 (kinda pricey but would be willing to splurge if its worth it)

Nova Extreme 2x24w T5-----------$80 (is this enough light considering they aren't true SLR's?)

Hamilton Magnetic 2x75w VHO-----$75 (love VHO's but how is this magnetic ballast?)

AH Supply 2x55w CF-------------- (Their site isn't working so I cant get a price but I know it's cheap, people seem to love their CF retrofits from AH)

I'd go with the Tunze Doc skimmers and T5s ( have you looked into Sundial T5).

The fixture comes w/ a great fan two timers.

I would put more than 2 T5's over a 20L unless you get parabolic reflectors (note, PARABOLIC and not "SLR's" there is a HUGE difference).

If you have any craftsmanship skills, you can get a very nice TEK retrofit from www.diyreef.com for a great price and parabolic reflectors. 2 24" tubes will do you fine unless you want to grow SPS/clams.

I have a Nova Extreme 4X24, you can now get it with SLR's- (ask your supplier if it has SLR's or not before you order it, the new design has not made it's way into all suppliers yet). It will light up a 20L just fine.

Avoid the PC's. They work, but not anything compared to the ability of a T5, and the bulb selection on T5's is fantastic.

As for the skimmer, I'd rather spend the money on putting a 10g lighted fuge and a big old lump of chaeto algae, will do a real good job of removing nitrate/phosphates (even better than a skimmer IMO) and grow tons of pods.

Note however that a skimmer does other things that chaeto can't--- oxygenation, for one.

It was always my understanding that SLR's (single lamp reflectors) were the best. Similar to the icecap reflectors (which are also called SLR's)

celticsfan: act quick and buy one of these... they probably won't be left very soon

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageA...amp;ProdID=1718

$100 for a 4x24W T5 with individual parabolic reflectors

Skimmerwise I'd probably go with the tunze nano pack from that list

That light is a hell of a deal, but It's a little short aesthetically at 24". Granted the 30" fixtures use 24" bulbs, but I just thought I would note it.

fwiw, I really like the sundial I have over my 20L, but I quickly replaced the crap stock bulbs. Also, I would go with the DOC. The nano pack would take up alot more room than the DOC, and you could always just mod a small AC fuge (I'm using the AC30 w/ macro, GFO, and carbon).

HecticDialectics

good point, prolly just depends if the 3" gap on either side would bother you or not. i forgot the 20Ls are 30" :X

if it were me I wouldn't care :P

good point, prolly just depends if the 3" gap on either side would bother you or not. i forgot the 20Ls are 30" :X

if it were me I wouldn't care :P

same here, if they would've had this sale a month and a half ago I would have the $100 fixture over my frag tank instead of the sundial.

Archived