Top Shelf Aquatics

The AquaC Remora – A Performance Review

Sac_State

Aqua C makes a really great skimmer. I have the Nano and have been very pleased with it on my 28. I have used other types of skimmers and think the Aqua C is hands down the best nano skimmer of the ones that I have tried (JBJ stock skimmer : (, Oceanic 29 BC, IO skimmer). It produces dark skimmate and was easy to adjust.

• 4 months later...

I have a Solana nano tank. I first bought the Tunze 9002 skimmer that has received many positive reviews. This skimmer is very sensitive to sump water height and I eventually did a mod, to help with air flow when the sump was turned off during feeding. Since then, the skimmer worked great, however, I had to empty the skimmer cup frequently.

I eventually decided to go with an HOB ( Aqua C Remora on my Solana, to match my Aqua C Remora Pro on my larger tank). I totally love the drain feature on the Aqua C Remora. I use a 2 liter soda bottle to collect my skim. Only have to drain it once every 2 weeks.

I can compare both units ( the Tunze 9002 and the Aqua C Remora ). Both units collected a good amount of skim. However, the set and forget feature of the Aqua C Remora convinced me to go that way. No adjusting, just works. I love it.

The other nice feature is that I do not clean the skimmer cup frequently and the Aqua C works fine for my infrequent cleanings. I do a complete cleaning every few months, so for me the infrequent cleanings, with having the unit work well dirty is another feature ( LOL).

After a few months, the unit does need a good cleaning, that's how I know when to clean it, when after a few months, the skim collection slows down.

Archived