Top Shelf Aquatics

YWG larvae

Sexy Shrimp

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

90 hours and I can count 5 at least. They are swimming around much more now. Another 6 hours and they will be 4 days old!

Going to bed for now (working all night). Might pop one under the microscope later as I swear I see a yellow tinge to them. OK maybe it's the lack of sleep!

Thanks for the info everyone. Checking it all out ready for next time. Hopefully with the proper food I will get more surviving.

98 hours and there are 5. These are going to be the last microscope pictures and the capture is stressful and I think I may be losing the last few due to this

We now have fin development!

Day4b.jpg

Day4a.jpg

Thanks again. I'm going to be less sad now and just check on them in the morning, at water change and before bed... I'm like an expectant mother!

This is truly amazing! I'm currently setting up a whole breeding/rearing system but have no experience doing this, so you are giving me hope that I will have some success.

Good luck! Can't wait to see these little guys grow up.

Your thread is getting epic. omgomgomg

It's exhausting me!

after reading your thread, I want to know what's going on now! but you're probably asleep. Next time, webcam !

I was asleep - good guess! No web cam I am afraid - they are still only 2mm long :(

awesome! How are they doin?

They doing good!!!!!

This is truly amazing! I'm currently setting up a whole breeding/rearing system but have no experience doing this, so you are giving me hope that I will have some success.

Good luck! Can't wait to see these little guys grow up.

If you have a proper setup then you should have lots of success. I literally have a tank, airstone and heater. I have the light at the bottom so they don't get caught on the edges but that is about it. Have you been on MOFIB? http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/ . Good site!

I have 5 still and they are 117 hours old - 2 hours short of 5 days!

Someone suggested that maybe there are some copepods in the water due to me using tank water from an established tank. I looked at the water and sure enough there are little creepy crawlies! I don't think they are of high enough density for the larvae to hunt though so maybe it is getting a mixed diet.

2 left still at 152 hours

Well of all the idiot things to do!!!!

I keep the light at the bottom to keep the larvae at the bottom but when doing a water change/bottom hoover I move the light to the top to move the larvae to the top. Well today they followed the airline hoover to the bottom without me realising and got sucked into a bucket of murky water. I cannot believe it! I stood the water for an hour with a light on the top hoping the larvae would swim to the top but it seems they were too delicate to survive the trip :(

On a happier note - since the water change and the loss of the larvae I have noticed the water is getting cloudier and moving - I'm going to keep culturing up whatever it is in hope that by the time the next spawn is ready (approx 2 weeks now), I will have enough of whatever it is to sustain more babies :)

• 1 month later...

Archived