Pod Your Reef

New 29G BIOCUBE ( my first tank ever ) #2

Nosey

So i went out the other day and bought red slime remover, and used it the other night. I was suppose to keep it in my tank for 48h, but had to remove it after 24h because of my F up last night, I had to do a water change, and replace my filter media. It was working, and almost all of it was gone. I’ll try it again next month if it comes back, and after my tank is stable again.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So i went out the other day and bought red slime remover, and used it the other night. I was suppose to keep it in my tank for 48h, but had to remove it after 24h because of my F up last night, I had to do a water change, and replace my filter media. It was working, and almost all of it was gone. I’ll try it again next month if it comes back, and after my tank is stable again.

Best of luck on that! Sucks to have to deal with that and have things die on you.

4sure!

Actually, that's why I quit the hobby a number of years ago. I had a tank going for a few years and bought all my livestock from a very dependable lfs....the one time I added something to my tank from another lfs, I believe it brought something into my tank that wiped everything out.

But, I'm back to the hobby...years later...and ready to give it another go. I'm constantly being reminded of what I've missed by not having a tank running for a number of years cause there is so much cool $hit...errrrr stuff, I mean, in this hobby.

I feel your pain! This is the second time that I’ve had this tank set up already, and IÂ’ve only been doing this since Sep 08. The first time I had to take it down because I had Cirolanid isopodÂ’s as hitch hikers in my LR. Now I have DinoÂ’s, it never ends. I almost feel like giving up as well. IÂ’m like you, I can see all the work, and $$$$$ that I put into this thing, so I keep going. Then you come on this website, and see all the cool tanks, and that kind of pushes you forward. IÂ’m sure IÂ’ll go home tonight, and find something else wrong with the tankÂ…lolÂ….BUT on the days when everything is right, I canÂ’t stop looking at the thing. IÂ’ll even go back into the house to have one last look before going to work, and the gf thinks IÂ’m coming back to see her againÂ…( I hope she doesnÂ’t see this) B)

I feel your pain! This is the second time that I’ve had this tank set up already, and I’ve only been doing this since Sep 08. The first time I had to take it down because I had Cirolanid isopod’s as hitch hikers in my LR. Now I have Dino’s, it never ends. I almost feel like giving up as well. I’m like you, I can see all the work, and $$$$$ that I put into this thing, so I keep going. Then you come on this website, and see all the cool tanks, and that kind of pushes you forward. I’m sure I’ll go home tonight, and find something else wrong with the tank…lol….BUT on the days when everything is right, I can’t stop looking at the thing. I’ll even go back into the house to have one last look before going to work, and the gf thinks I’m coming back to see her again…( I hope she doesn’t see this) B)

Haaaaa..

I thought i was the ONLY one that did that..

my 28G is in my sons room and that's the last thing i do before leaving for work.

good to know its Not Just me.

Just a recap of what I have done as of now. My tank has made many changes since I started about 5 months ago, and I was going over some of my first posts, and realised that I’ve changed things without making note of it. So if your reading my posts from the start, it might be a little confusing. I’ll start with my Mods, and then go from there!

MOD

Fug

- Made a fug for the back of my second chamber. I chipped the paint of the back, and added an external full spec light with a cover made of a cake pan. I then Velcro it to the back of the second chamber

1st Chamber

- I removed all stock filtration from the first chamber, and cut out the top chunk of plastic for more flow. If I could go back and do it again, I wouldn’t have cut out the plastic. I added a Tunze 9002, and I had to find something to restrict the water flow to keep the water levels at the right height. I went with the Tunze 9002 for a protein skimmer, and with that skimmer I had to make some changes to make it fit.

- I placed a 100w stealth heater in the first chamber.

- Removed the grate at the bottom of the first chamber. At first I had LRR in the bottom for extra filtration, but realised it wasn’t needed. I also tried placing a filtration bag of cemi-pure in there, but later moved it. As of today,All I have in the 1st chamber is my 100w stealth heater.

2nd Chamber

- Removed the false bottom, again I had LRR in the bottom, but have since removed it. At first I had the whole back chamber filled with cheato, and some filter floss at the top, but later changed it.

I am now running a Tunze 9002, and Stevie T media Rack. As of today I have my Tunze next to my Media Rack in the second chamber. In my media rack im running from top to bottom; Filter floss, Carbon bag, Cheato, ½ dose bag of Cemi- Pure elite, and that’s it for the second chamber. I used to have a filter mode that I made for the second chamber that was made from the old drip tray. I replaced it with the Media Rack from Stevie T. When I went to put the Tunze in the back, I had a problem with the height level. The Biocube 29g has a lip around the top of the second chamber, for the stock filter drip tray. The Tunze has a min/max height for it’s water level marked with a blue line. I have increased my water flow, so the water level in the back of my second chamber is at the top. With the Tunze it has a magnet that holds it in place, and it’s on the narrow side of it, that when I put it in the chamber places the magnet next to the wall for the second/ third chamber. With the combination of the Magnet for the Tunze, and the Lip of the back chamber, there is only really one place or level that I could place the protean skimmer. I had to place it just below the lip, which places the blue line for the optimal operation of the Tunze below my water line. This is why at the beginning I said maybe you shouldn’t cut out the chunk of plastic for extra water flow. To fix the problem I had to some way restrict my water flow from my first chamber, so I added the little plastic “ In Tank “ clip that comes with StevieT’s Media Rack. I placed it on the top of the wall between the first, and second chamber, where it is designed to go, and where I cut out the chunk of plastic. After saying all this, my Tunze seems to be working well, and I have had very little problems with the whole second chamber setup.

3rd Chamber

- Removed stock sponge at the bottom of the 3rd chamber, and replaced with a bag of Phos Guard, that I change out monthly.

- I removed my stock pump with the mj1200. It was a tight fit, and I ended up putting it at an angle on the bottom. At first I had some heat issue because the mj pumps heat up some, but I just dropped the temp on my heater, and all is well. I also removed the plastic elbow from the return line, and replaced with a strait plastic hose. I have also installed a ATO unit, with one of the float sensors in the top of the 3rd chamber. I used my stock pump and placed it in the ATO sump, and use it as it’s return pump. Right now the sump is in the bottom of my tank stand, and the return line comes out of the sump, and ends at the top of my Media Basket. I placed my ATO hose there so that it will add water to my second chamber, helping with the water level changes, and the Tunze. *****IMPORTANT NOTE****** with the ATO float sensor. I had it sitting on the edge of the wall between the 2nd, and 3rd chamber with my magnet from the Tunze next to it. I was playing around with the tank, and I noticed my ATO pump kept turning on over and over again. I had to pull the plug on the unit, and drain the tank some because of the extra water. I couldn’t figure it out for about 10min, but to cut a long story short, it was the magnet of the Tunze that was tricking or tripping the float sensor into thinking that the tank water level was too low. I moved the sensor over to site on the back wall, away from the magnet, and I haven’t had a problem since.

Inside the Tank

- Placed a splitter on the return nozzle with one end having a Hydor Flow, and the other end with a length of lock line, and the stock flow nozzle. This little Mod gave we nothing but problems. I used a length of Loc- line with a “Y” gate connector. I had all parts at 7/8 " and I thought that was it, but it wasn’t. I had to try and snap them together, and I couldn’t get this to work. I tried everything to get them to work, and in the end I had to file down the inside edge of the “ Y” connector to get it to fit on the stock elbow ( the part that the stock nozzle pivots on). I also used reef safe glue, and glued on the Hydor flow nozzle to the end of the Loc – line because it kept coming off.

- I added a Hydor Koralia 2, and 1 in the tank for extra flow, and I have my 2 pointing at the surface, and the 1 pointing at the sand bed, as well as my return line…… I think that’s it for now, but I will be adding a AWC some time very soon, so that will be posted as well!.....Thanks for the read!

Lighting

- I replaced my stock hood and lighting with a 150w Sunpod MH!

Got it. That thing is really in there.

It sure is, but just keep pushing. If you brake a grill, it doesn't realy mater your not going to use it!

Tank looks great, I like the use of locline and the hydor flow

Thanks, I was just looking at your tank of " wrong"....and it lookes " right" to me!

IMG_4234-1.jpg

My new little guy. I’ve had him for about a week now, and we call him Lucky. When we where bringing him home from the LFS he was in his little plastic bag, that was inside a brown paper bag. When the gf looked in, see couldn’t see him, so she took the plastic bag out, and found the little guy stuffed in the corner, in the bags fold. He had lost all his colour, and looked dead. After about 20min he came back around, his colour, and strips came back. He’s doing good now, and he eats like a garbage disposal.

• 2 weeks later...

So I had an interesting situation last night. I just moved into my new place in Dec, so there are still some contractors doing work during the day. My tank is plugged into an outlet that the top socket is controlled by a switch on the wall, and the bottom socket is always powered up. I didn’t really pay attention to what gear was being plugged into what outlet, because I didn’t real think it would be a problem. Both the gf, and I knew that we couldn’t turn off the switch on the wall because of the tank ( I think you can tell where I’m going with this). Well last night I had to work late, so I got home after lights out. I started to make myself something to eat, and went to turn on a room light that is also on the same wall socket as my tank. It didn’t turn on, so I thought it was just a burnt out bulb or something. About an hour after I got home, I thought I would have a look at my tank, and noticed that one of my power heads wasn’t working, witch sometimes happens with my Hydor flow. I took out a wooden spoon and tryed getting it going again, that’s when I realised that the water was abnormally cold. I looked at my temp gage, and it was reading 60…….I then quickly realised what the problem was, and turned on the wall switch. I turned up my heater, and turned my MH back on. It took about 6 hours for me to bring the temp back up, and the fish where not happy. They where flipping out, going crazy, swimming all over the place at mock speed. My guess is that they will show signs of ich in the next couple of days. As of today, I haven’t lost anything to this F ^ YET!!!!!!!!!!!! ( KNOCK ON WOOD AGAIN!!). I’m going home tonight to change my equipment around, and I’m going to put all essential equipment on one outlet, that will be on a solid power supply.

Ya, They must have hit the light switch on the wall, and that turned off the heater. I now have a big sigh over the light switch saying “ DO NOT TURN OFF POWER, IT WILL KILL FISH

Archived