Top Shelf Aquatics

New 29G BIOCUBE ( my first tank ever ) #2

Nosey

DO NOT TURN OFF POWER, IT WILL KILL FISH

Just one more line to add to your sign...

"If you kill my fish, I will kill you"

Maybe you could include a picture of Achmed the Terrorist on the sign too.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I went to put the Tunze in the back, I had a problem with the height level. The Biocube 29g has a lip around the top of the second chamber, for the stock filter drip tray. The Tunze has a min/max height for it's water level marked with a blue line. I have increased my water flow, so the water level in the back of my second chamber is at the top. With the Tunze it has a magnet that holds it in place, and it's on the narrow side of it, that when I put it in the chamber places the magnet next to the wall for the second/ third chamber. With the combination of the Magnet for the Tunze, and the Lip of the back chamber, there is only really one place or level that I could place the protean skimmer. I had to place it just below the lip, which places the blue line for the optimal operation of the Tunze below my water line.

I just dremeled that lip down to be flush with the wall. Now I can move the Tunze up and down as needed. The optimum place for me seems to be where the magnet is directly over where the lip used to be.

-AJ

Ya thats what i thought, it's just to bad about that lip. Like i said, it's working for me now with it below the lip, I just had to play around with it some. I was thinking of using a dremele, but i didn't want to put any grinding disk debris in the water, or back chamber. Do you have livestock in your tank?

Ya thats what i thought, it's just to bad about that lip. Like i said, it's working for me now with it bellow the lip, I just had to play around with it some. I was thinking of using a dremele, but i didn't want to put any grinding disk debris in the water, or back chamber. Do you have livestock in your tank?

Yeah but I turned off the pump and drained the back two chambers before I did the dremeling. That allowed me to remove the debris. I also used a cutting bit instead of a grinding/sanding, I think that may have helped keep the debris to minimum.

You could probably just remove it with a razor blade. Snip the sides with a wire cutter and then just score the seam where the lip meets the wall until it comes off in one piece.

Just one more line to add to your sign...

"If you kill my fish, I will kill you"

Maybe you could include a picture of Achmed the Terrorist on the sign too.

Not a bad idea!

Yeah but I turned off the pump and drained the back two chambers before I did the dremeling. That allowed me to remove the debris. I also used a cutting bit instead of a grinding/sanding, I think that may have helped keep the debris to minimum.

You could probably just remove it with a razor blade. Snip the sides with a wire cutter and then just score the seam where the lip meets the wall until it comes off in one piece.

I havent seen this recommended yet, but the debris-free way I used to cut through the plastic on my BC was a "hot" razor. Get one of those cheap retractable breakaway knifes from the local hardware store (about $1), extend the blade all they way, then heat the front inch or so with a flame until red hot. I used a torch, but a gas stove, lighter, etc. would work also. Once red hot, it cuts through the plastic like a hot knife through butter. You'll have limited working time, but just reheat and have at it. The "cutting" action may create a rolled ligament on the edge of the cut that can be easily removed with a clean sharp razor. IMO, much easier and cleaner then using a dremel or other type of saw...especially when you're already stocked.

Wow nosey looking at your FTS looks like you have tons of flow!

How has your tank been going? Looking good so far!

Reading the page before this I see your tank had been turned off a few hours from a wall switch... My tank has the same thing lol. If u hit the wall switch it will shut the whole tank off. I think I really need to change that! :o

Ya man it sucks, I might end up going out and buying a blank cap for it, so it’s not an issue anymore. One of my open brain corals looks like it might not have made it, but I’ll keep an eye on it, it just doesn’t look all that good. One of my clown fish had a big white spot on it’s back a day after it happened, but it’s gone now. It was only there for a couple of hours, I thought it might be ich, but he didn't show any other sighns. I think as of now my corals were hit the hardest.

Over the last week or so I have noticed a feather duster growing in the back 1st chamber, but didn’t think much of it. When I did my last water change I had my siphon hose back there to suck out all the stuff from the bottom of the chamber, and I thought I would have killed it. I was installing DIY dosing pump, (idea by glennr1978) and I had to place one of the hose heads in the back 1st chamber. When I looked in the back with my flash light, I saw not one, but maybe 12 feather dusters growing back there. It was kind of gross looking, they are growing everywhere, up the wall, in clusters. I’m going to have to remove them this weekend, but it’s too bad they weren’t growing in the display side. I’ll take a pic of them tonight, and post some pic’s of both my dossing set up, and the dusters.

oh ya, my one open brain is doing better, but I don't think i'm out of the woods yet!

Well I’m almost done automating my tank, and it’s about time. I’m trying to take it nice and slow, so I don’t mess up all at once. I start my new job on April 1st so I still have some time to finish off the big one or two mods. Right now I’m training my 3 fish to eat flaks, so that when I’m away for weeks at a time they can be feed by an automatic fish feeder. I feed my fish every other day, and I’ve been slowly adding more flake food to the mix as I go. They still don’t like it, but at first they eat it up in a feeding frenzy, and after about 3 big mouth full’s they realize that it’s not miz, and they spit it out…lol….suckers….. I’m still looking to build an overflow for my back chamber, in case my ATO float gets stuck filling the tank past the top. I don’t want to drill holes in the back of my tank, because my tank is fully stocked and I didn’t think about it at the start. If you have any ideas about this, please drop me a line. I think my last mod will be my AWC, that im not really too worried about because I have a plan, and a line on a diastolic pump with everything else in place.

happy to hear things are recovering...keep 'em out of the cold now.

lol.....I am Canadian after all... B)

Why are you removing them? They are beneficial.

I guess I don't have 2, they are everywhere though. I'm guessing about 12, but there could be alot more than that.

Ok, my new auto dosing set up that i made from glennr1978 posts. It's dosing my two part right now, I might add a third one at a later date for Alc.

IMG_4275-1.jpg

IMG_4262-1.jpg

I’ve had a small problem with my dosing set up this weekend, no fault to the design. My timer, the weak link failed with the power in the ON position, over dosing my two part. I had just watched it turn off, and was watching TV with the tank to my back. I turned to look at the tank about 10min later to see my tank clouded out. I could see anything inside of the tank, other than my fish, when they swam up to the glass. I quickly pulled the plug on the doser, and started an emergency water change. I did about a 10-15 % water change that night, then last night I did another water change of about 10%. The tank has cleared up, but there is white debris settling all over the place, on the pump heads, rock etc. Last night I used the turkey baster to blow off the rocks etc, and did a water change. There is still some debris, but It’s looking much better today. This was my fear with this set up, I haven’t had much luck with digital timers, this is my third timer that I’ve gone through. I have analog timers as well, and they seem more reliable, I just don’t think they make them with min by min settings. I think one of mine has a 5min setting, and if that’s the case I’m going to use it, calibrating my dosing to 5min intervals.

All is still alive as of this morning 3 days later, and if my eye’s aren’t failing me, this morning my male clown looks like it was hosting my frogspawn…lol….This hobby kills me!....PS If you have a good line on a digital timer PLEASE let me know the name, and where you got it!

Hi Nosey,

Do you have your Koralia's on constant power or do you have them connected to a wavemaker for variable on/off? I think I read that your using a K1 & K2 combo--is that working well for you or does it seem to generate too much circulation?

Does anyone have any experience with a CPR SR3 skimmer in chamber 2? I just purchased one for my BC29 (bought it used, first tank, haven't even started cycling it yet). It fits nicely there, but I've considered returning it after reading about SteveT's mod for chamber 2. Do any of you use the stock BC 29 carbon/filter? I was given over a dozen of them when I bought the tank, but it sounds like they're pretty cheesy. If they are a joke, could anyone recommend a good method for placing proper chemical media in the tank? I saw that you put phosguard in the chamber 3 sponge area. Could I put chemi-pur elite there as well?

Thanks for your help.

Good day Sir... I am using th K1 & 2 straight up with no timer, and it's working well with good flow. I don't think it would be a problem to hook it up to a wave maker, I know others have done it, and would suggest it. I don't really know anything about the SR3 skimmer but my tunzey works well if you do change your mind. If you have extra stock filter cartridges, I would say go ahead and use them. There's nothing wrong with them if they are new,other than restricting flow to the second chamber, and that they don't last very long, it can get expensive replacing them all the time. If you are going to use them, I will say make sure you keep up with there change out every 3 to 4 days. They will trap lots delt debri. They will buy you some time to come up with a filter mod that you like.

I don't want to toot StevieT's horn( I'm afraid his head will explode ...lol..) but i love his media basket. It makes it so easy to change things out, and it keeps the clean looks of the AIO. IMO best bang for the buck. Normally a bag of chemi pure & Chemi pure elite is a little 2 big to fit in the third chamber, because of how close it is to the pump. I wouldn't want to take the chance of it getting cut or caught in the impeller.With the phosguard you make up the bag, so you can control it's size, chemi pure comes as is.

I hope i got all your questions, have fun setting up your tank!

Archived