inTank Media Baskets

Proper way to use light on Reef?

Kalamata

Hello,

I have been searching all over about the proper way of lighting a reef tank. I have the proper lighting for my tank which has the bright white light and the blue light, but I am concern on when to use the white light and when to use the blue light.

Can someone help me on this? I need to know when to use or how to properly use the combination of the lights for my reef tank.

what type of lights? T8s, T5s, MH, PCs???

+1 to above poster.

You got me on that one, this light use to belong to my cousin's reef tank. I am not sure of the model or specs, I will need to find the specs.

Blue light on first, for about an hour. Then whites and blues for say 8-10 hours. Then whites off and leave blues on another hour.

Thank you. I know I was doing something wrong because I turn on that white light first the fish will hide. I will set the times tonight.

youre researching the wrong stuff....and doing a poor job at that....

you should have been doing this research before you started....you shouldnt have fish in your 10g yet, you need to scrap what you have going and restart with a proper setup. return your fish before they all die. do you even know a tank is supposed to cycle? do you even know what kind of lights you have? white, blue? wtf....

theres being noob and theres being irresponsible...youre falling in the latter. you dont even have a reef tank...you have a crushed coral and dead rock fish killing setup.

Huh? He just wanted to know which lights go on and when... :huh:

look, it could be that I'm in a bad mood, im deleting offending posts....please do research in the future tho... peace.

Hey don't worry, everyone has a bad day every now and then. But you can take if of on other people.

Hey don't worry, everyone has a bad day every now and then. But you can take if of on other people.

Have you read the articles (top left under "information")?

Have you read the articles (top left under "information")?

Yes, I have read most of them. But I don't remember to have ever read anything about how to properly light up the tanks in the morning and how to turn the lights off at night with out having a big impact on the fish or other live form on the tank.

Yes, I have read most of them. But I don't remember to have ever read anything about how to properly light up the tanks in the morning and how to turn the lights off at night with out having a big impact on the fish or other live form on the tank.

Sorry, I should have said I was talking about the type of lights you have. It shouldn't be too hard to determine if its a PC or single-tube fluorescent.

Archived