Top Shelf Aquatics

Peppermint Shrimp Attack my BTA

malmarky

I just purchased a small (about 2 inch) BTA at my local coral farm. I put it in the tank and it looked healthy for a day. Last night I saw my 2 peppermint shrimp eyeing it. I chased them away with a stick but I'm sure they came back. When I woke up, the BTA was hanging upside down on a rock and below it was a pile of severed tentacles. The shrimp had sampled the anemone and just left around 20 of tentacles lay.

Yes they are peppermint shrimp.

Yes I am sure it was them, they did the same thing to my condy about a month ago (which later died).

Just a word of warning to everyone:

Peppermint shrimp may attack your nice anemones, not just the pesky ones.

Is there anyway I can save this anemone? I don't think the shrimp will continue to attack it as they have already sampled it and decided to just leave it on the ground. I figure it will now succumb to infection and just die like many shipped anemones do.

feed more

Perhaps I have not been feeding enough.

I feed 1 pellet of premium one frozen food every other day.

The tank is an AquaPod 28 with 150W SunPod HQI. Two clown fish, two peppermint shrimp, emerald crab and hermit crab.

angelacbishop

Are you 100 percent sure they're not camelbacks? Sometimes they're sold as peppermints. I know they eat corals but I'm not sure about anemones.

Are you 100 percent sure they're not camelbacks? Sometimes they're sold as peppermints. I know they eat corals but I'm not sure about anemones.

Yes, I've investigated the possibility that they may be camelbacks. To the best that I can identify them they are peppermint. The place I got them from was a coral farm and they told me that they make sure they get peppermints and not camelbacks. So I don't think this is the case.

Should i double the amount I'm feeding, a premium one cube once a day? Or would this be too much?

Any advice appreciated. I've only been doing this for about a year and this is my first real reef.

"hmm, get rid of the peppermint shrimp you must, nothing but trouble they are" in the words of Yoda...

I've thought about it but they are really cool. Although I think a BTA would be cooler. I will see.

Anyone want to trade a BTA for 2 peppermint shrimp? They are very active....

Archived