Top Shelf Aquatics

Metal halide smoking

jjohnson3

I just bought a metal halide 400 watt fixture. I also just made a canopy for my tank and put braces in to hold the halide. The canopy is made of untreated wood. For some reason the halide is smoking on the wood. Is this normal? Can i put some metal on the wood to act as a heat shield?

is the halide screwed straight onto the canopy? did you use spacers?

No its not screwed in the canopy. It is just sitting on top of the two braces. I did not use spacers. What are those?

a 400 watt mh will def burn wood!!! you should get some type of metal spacers...ones you can put screws thru, and mount it to the inside top of the canopy...and also if u dont have a fan get one, if u do have one pulling air out get another pushing air across the fixture!! soon before u burn ur tank to the ground! pics would def help us out better, helping u

a 400 watt mh will def burn wood!!! you should get some type of metal spacers...ones you can put screws thru, and mount it to the inside top of the canopy...and also if u dont have a fan get one, if u do have one pulling air out get another pushing air across the fixture!! soon before u burn ur tank to the ground! pics would def help us out better, helping u

I turned the metal halide off for the night and will try to find some type of spacers. I have no coral yet but i will soon. All i have is my CUC and one percula clown. The tank is 38 gallons by the way. I also have 192 watts of pc lighting

wow that is a lot of light! imo i think it is a lot. i would say u would need a 250w mh with your pc's. also did u say u had fans, or no?

wow that is a lot of light! imo i think it is a lot. i would say u would need a 250w mh with your pc's. also did u say u had fans, or no?

No I do not have a fan but there is an AC vent about 3 feet above the tank so I figured it would be fine. Would you reccomend another fan? Is this overkill on my lighting? The halide is 12 inches from the surface of the tank.

No I do not have a fan but there is an AC vent about 3 feet above the tank so I figured it would be fine. Would you reccomend another fan? Is this overkill on my lighting? The halide is 12 inches from the surface of the tank.

well i would say this..i think ur over on ur lighting. but try this. get all actinics for ur power compacts. use them for an 1 1/2hours, then off. for the time u have the metal halides. them 1 1/2hrs of actinics again. watch your corals. if they start bleaching then u must downgrade your mh lighting. but i still think thats too much!

FANS ARE AN ABSOLUTE MUST WITH MH LIGHTING!!! ANY LIGHTING AT THAT! sorry for the boldness, just wanted to state my point. an a/c vent will do absolutely nuthing!!! it will only blow cool air when the house cools down, not when the lighting heats up. so get two 4" high cfm fans, one pushing air across the lighting and one pulling it out the other end of the canopy.

hope all works out for u! feel free to ask any questions!

i would really consider getting a 250w halide instead.

in addition to heat problems, you're also going to have a TON of evaporation.

i would really consider getting a 250w halide instead.

in addition to heat problems, you're also going to have a TON of evaporation.

exactly!

u do know how hot they get right?

Don't know what size tank it's on exactly but come on guys don't bash 400W Halides. They're one of the best bang for the buck they don't get much hotter then 250's and they have great colors for SE bulbs I've got one on my 30 that's transfering to my 40BR and I'd never I repeat never trade it for a 250.

Get either a Phoenix 14K bulb or a 20K Radium and some fans.

i may have left the part out, it is a heat issue. they do get hotter than a 250. and even with a 250, no fans is no good. but its the amount of ligvht being transmitted to the tank. even if u wan sps only, theres no need for this much lighting. especially if u arent prepared for it. and im not bashing...just giving m own opinion and advice

Archived